“Always worth a visit for fans of contemporary art”

Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art
Book In Advance
More Info
$14.99*
and up
Scottsdale Fashion Square Shopping Package
Ranked #60 of 165 things to do in Scottsdale
More attraction details
Owner description: This is one of the Phoenix area's leading modern art museums.
Aurora, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Always worth a visit for fans of contemporary art”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This was my second visit to this museum twelve years after my last trip to Scottsdale, and it was definitely worth seeing again. I was very impressed with the bold curatorial choices and installation of the art the first time around and wasn't disappointed with the current West of Center exhibition, which focuses on counterculture art movements of the late 60s and early 70s. The museum has evolved a fair bit in the intervening years, but the smart vision of its management and exhibition curation is very much in evidence.

Visited October 2012

Redwood City, CA
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Great Little Museum”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We've been in this museum several times but the current exhibit by Peter Sarkisian is not to be missed. Fabulous multimedia art presentation. This exhibit is on through 9 September 2012 so if you are in the area do not miss it.

The museum is open late on Saturdays and admission is free after 5 which really makes is a wonderful place to stop before dinner.

Visited July 2012
arizona
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Entertaining”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This is a very intimate venue for a museum; it feels very comfortable and relaxed. The museum usually has interesting exhibits so we always try to stop by when we are in the Phoenix area.

Visited June 2012
Ocean City, MD
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Not My Idea Of a Museum”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Maybe its just me, but when I pay to see a museum I expected to find a permanent collection which is curated. This place is a lovely building but more like a gallery. It has no real collection and the entire space upon our visit was devoted to a showing of a single photographer. The photographs were interesting but all on loan from a New York gallery.

Visited May 2012
Julian, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“No charge on Thursday...”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Thursdays are your best bet here. Latest exhibit I thought was distrubing. My wife thought it "creepy". On Kiki Smith's Exhibit "I myself have seen it and there is no inspiration here". The other room with the "Economy of Means" - nothing new here, either. Attempting the eclectic...succeeding at the sophmoric. Spent 13 minutes in this museum.

Visited April 2012