“A fun spot”

Ranked #3 of 4 Scottsdale B&B and Inns
Tucson, Arizona
“A fun spot”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Found a great deal for a 2 night stay on travelzoo, so we booked for a romantic getaway. Really enjoyed the hotel! The staff was friendly and always seemed to be on hand to help out, clean up, etc. the room was a 1 bedroom suite with full kitchen. This is a former apartment complex, so the rooms are spacious and well laid out. We enjoyed and used the pool area quite a lot...great cabanas. The poolmis open 24 hours but even when guests took advantage of the late nights, sound was never a problem. The vibe is rather retro and you did feel transported back to the 50's. Good wifi connection and comfortable bedding. On the down side, old plumbing and air conditioning, so we had problems with flushing the toilet and it took almost 12 hours to bring the air down in the heat of Scottsdale in September. . We would, however, stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in room 204....if stairs are difficult for you, ask for a lower level. Just a short flight b...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our family of four was visiting Scottsdale for the weekend and found this online. Price was great and was listed as a suite which was intriguing. As noted before it is at the end of a couldesac in what is an old apartment building converted into a boutique hotel. The room was incredibly spacious with two full bedrooms with king beds and two separate full showers/tubs. There was a kitchen with full size fridge, dining table and everything you would need to make dinner. The living room was spacious and I suspect the whole "room" was near 1000 square feet. There is a nice pool/spa with bbq outside and the grounds were done up nicely as well. This worked perfectly for us and was very close to everywhere we wanted to visit in Phoenix. The only down side is that you can tell it was converted from an apartment building and still looks a little dated despite obvious attempts to modernize it. I personally found it charming in a retro sort of way. They have a little café/coffee area that is open 24 hours as well. Service was excellent and they even gave me a 15% off coupon to come again. I would definitely stay here again as it beat the usual run of the mill chain hotels and, for the price with the room we got, it was great! Also, I did not notice any significant airplane noise as noted in other reviews...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Mesa AZ
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Well I'm a local who purchased a Travelzoo Voucher for a weekend at this hotel. So of course the rate was GREAT for me. The hotel is nestled in a culdesac amongst other Apartment Complexes but not a bad location it's open area is still pretty private for the guests. The staff although I didn't require much help once checked in was very friendly and accommodating. I saw guys running to rooms with towels or essentials requested by other guests. I had a 2 bdrm suite all to myself (my buddies flaked on me that weekend) and the décor was funky vintage, I enjoyed my 2 nights there. The pool atmosphere was relaxing and had fun mingling with other guests. There's no bar on the premise (yet) so byob if you choose to indulge in adult beverages, as I did and often. hehehe... If you like to walk, all in all the location is good and very close to shopping and dining/bars/clubs etc.; but its a bit of a hike, they offer bikes yet other means of transportation is readily available.
The 1st night of my stay there were a couple of large parties within the pool area, the guests and their guests were pretty friendly and all tamed down at a decent hour. It's always enjoyable for me to see others enjoying themselves so I didn't mind the crowd or their accessories.

Room Tip: If you like a pool view go with the rooms located SW if you're up for more quiet then the few ro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank az480specialk
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We used a Travelzoo voucher for a great rate on a weekend trip to Scottsdale. The pool area is well designed with lots of seating areas, TVs and a firepit. The caution tape around the off-limits in ground spa all weekend was a little disturbing, however. The "apartment" was cute, but I agree with other reviewers that some of the furniture was a bit shabby and our sofa had quite a few stains on it. There were renovation shortcuts that were eye catching, but didn't really affect our stay.

The things that did affect our stay were: an almost overwhelming disinfectant smell in the room, the deep pit in the middle of the king bed, the fact that there are no drapes or blackout shades and the lighting by the pool is very bright, pretty much all night. There don't seem to be any limits to pool use - there was an influx of guests returning to the hotel from the clubs around 2 am, who then got in the pool and stayed outside talking and partying until well after 3 am. There was a large party at the pool on Saturday, with coolers pulled up to the edge of the pool, inflatable loungers filling up space in the pool, and a large crowd of people drinking.
My feeling was there is a lack of attention to detail - the cleaning staff left their cleaning rag in our bathroom and didn't replenish our coffee, I had to leave the room and go to the front desk to ask for the wireless code (could they not give that to you with your key?), we had to go ask at the front desk for pool towels, etc. The customer service element you find at nicer hotels is missing.

Overall, the location is great - an easy walk to to Old Town. It is not a resort - it's got a pool and a coffee bar. With a little polish and more attention to the guest experience it could grow into what it wants to be.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ZenDogAZ
Lindenwold, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were in town to visit our kids, their spouses and our new grand-baby in late July 2013. The location was blocks from Old Scottsdale, not far from the airport (but far enough for planes overhead to bother us), and far enough that we weren't "on top" of the kids. Loved the 70's retro decor and the 24-hour pool access. Amanda and Ben are gems and helped make our stay truly enjoyable. Had small issue with a/c condensate leaking into bathroom floor, which was addressed by maintenance relatively quickly. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and would have left after the first had it not been prepaid . The concept sounded great of a retro style hotel but the reality of it was that is looked like it was furnished by from goodwill by some college kids. the king bed was made up of 2 twin beds covered with a foam pad so we were sinking in the middle crack all night.
The fabric chairs were dirty and the pool lounge cabana furniture was all stained and torn up.
The pictures look much nicer than in person.
It is obvious the place is run by amateurs. There is no reason they should be charging a "resort " fee.
I was really hoping for the best but the experience was disappointing.
If you are looking for a place with a kitchen for a large group with no expectations. This is perfect.

• Stayed July 2013
6 Thank notwmama
Humptulips, Washington
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Had to bring the in-laws down to Phoenix for a early morning flight. We decided to stay at a hotel and this was one that fit our needs. We wanted two seperate bedrooms and a pool. The rooms were fantastic. I highly recommend the two bedroom option. Huge open living room, kitchen, two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The in-laws loved it. There is a back alley where you can park and it's covered parking so that your car isn't a thousand degrees. I am never all that happy when I have to drive down to the concrete convection oven that is Phoenix, AZ. But, this hotel made my mood a little better. I give Phoenix a poor rating and I give this hotel an excellent rating.

Room Tip: The Paris Room was wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family