Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Scottsdale - Old Town
Ranked #10 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Tunbridge Wells, England
“A definite stayer!”
Reviewed July 15, 2009

Since I first visited this hotel in June 2005 I return whenever I am in Phoenix. However, you have watch the price as the variation between winter and summer can be very large. Also keep monitoring your booking as the price can half over a 3 month period and then go up again near to your arrival date!

I have seen reports of surly staff but have never met anything other than helpfulness and politeness. There are some rather irreverent members of staff that could be an acquired taste. But, if you want a large 2-room suite and a lovely quiet pool area I have yet to find better in my travels around the USA. [I have stayed at least one night in 37 States]. And you get free drinks most evenings!!! My grandchildren love it, too.

The only downer is the Red Lobster across the road. The worst RL I have ever been in! But, with fashionable Scottsdale on your doorstep this hardly matters.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Non-disgusted

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Yuma, Arizona
Reviewed July 3, 2009

We arrived very late at this hotel after a long drive to find a very friendly welcome once entering the hotel. As platinum members of Priority Club, we were treated like royalty by Shamar Pendleton. He upgraded us to one of their luxury suites. The suite was spacious and everything was superb from the bedding to the fully stocked kitchen. The balcony was very big, with 4 chairs. The bathroom was nice and big with both a walk in shower and a jacuzzi tub. We only stayed one night, but we plan to go back for a longer stay next time.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sfpen66
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I have family and friends in Scottsdale, and since our recent stay here, I will always stay here. We booked a suite, which was a bedroom with two queens and a livnig room with a sofa bed. Since I travel with two teens, this allows them to relax separately (two TVs), or together if I want the bedroom. The A/C was incredibly cold, and the beds were extremely comfortable. The bed linens smelled clean and were good cotton. The shower/toilet room is separate from the sink and mirror, which is perfect for us - the boys can shower while I use the sink and mirror. The shower itself was great - I love their showerheads! The room also had a small fridge and a microwave. The pool was clean and the temperature perfect. The breakfast was filling - yogurts, cereal, eggs, bacon or sausage, and biscuits and gravy. The ONLY complaint I have relates to the biscuits - they are always on the hard side because they stay under the heat lamp. But, the gravy takes care of that. Hot cereals , juices, bagels and muffins abound. The coffee could use a bit more strength, but I like mine very strong, so it's probably fine for most people. Beer and wine in the evenings, but I did not take advantage of this as I was doing most of the driving in the evenings. The business center has two computers and free printing. The staff was incredibly cheery and friendly. As I said, we will always stay at this Holiday Inn Express - it's perfect for us.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank IrishKelly57
Mississippi
Reviewed June 6, 2009

Staff was very friendly. The layout is designed so there only a few rooms on each wing. Clean and convenient.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Erlangen, Germany
Reviewed June 6, 2009

Everything was perfect. The room, the hotel, the breakfast the location and the price.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Graniteville, South Carolina
Reviewed June 3, 2009

Nothing bad to say about this hotel. Was about a 15 minute drove from Sky Harbor Airport, easy to find, very close to downtown Scottsdale. It was 103 degrees when I landed, but my room was cool as a cucumber awaiting my arrival. I had a 2 room suite with a balcony (with 2 chairs & small table) looking out over the lovely pool. Ceiling fan, microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron & board, desk with fast internet, wetbar, sofa, 2 tvs, very comfy bed & most importantly - cold a/c. The bathroom is tiny, but only b/c the counter & sink are located just outside of the bathroom. Check in was friendly & fast and included a goodie bag with snacks & bottled water. Breakfast was quite tasty (those cinnamon buns!). Free parking. I didn't get to swim in the pool but it looked beautiful and very popular with the other guests. Business center worked great for printing my boarding pass and check out was also friendly & fast.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Bangkok
Reviewed May 31, 2009

I am not sure about check in and all that since my friends were in charge (we were there for a bachelorette party night!), but the staff were very helpful and friendly. It may have been due to the fact that we were a group of 10 girls in our 20's, but the staff were very friendly. we didn't get any noise complaints which was great... ended up stuffing 8 people into our hotel room which they didn't mind i don't think. there was a free shuttle to and from the airport which made things convenient.

The best part of the stay was undoubtedly the 5-7pm Free Beer and Wine Happy Hour. The rooms were decent... not the most beautiful and the bathrooms are small, but honestly,

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends