“Bad attitudes a big let down”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Scottsdale - Old Town
Ranked #9 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Surrey, Canada
“Bad attitudes a big let down”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I prefer Holiday Inns as I am a Platinum Elite Member of their loyalty program and for the some basic standards that I can expect at all their hotels.I travelled to Arizona with my wife for the fisrts time and Scootsdale was our first and last stop. We stayed at this hotel for two nights and then one night later in the same week. As Platinum Elite member, the welcome package was nice but the room upgrade was not even mentioned. Upon enquiry, I was told that the room I had was an upgrade from a poolside suite to a poolside suite with patio which meant nothing in December weather. I also noticed that all poolside suites had patios or balconies. The bathrooms were so small that there was just enough room for one person to stand next to the shower and the toilet seat. Upon my return stay, I was not even greeted as a Platinum Elite member and again not given any upgrade. The room was not ready at the time of check in at 2.30 pm and when I protested, the girl at the front desk showed attitude and told me that rooms are gauranteed for 4 pm only even though she knew about my Platinum status by then. I did get the room by 2.50 pm and again it was the same as I booked with no upgrade. I was told that the better ones were all sold out. Now, I am not the one to suffer fools. I aksed her if I will get one if I paid more and she said no as those are sold out. I then told her that I have the website open and two such rooms are available online. She put me on hold and after a long pause, the Manager came on line and asked me what is it that was bothering me. To cut the long story short, I was upgraded to an accessible room though a regular one was still available online and the entire excercise left a bad taste in my mouth. In spite of its good location next to Old Town, Scottsdale, I shall never return to this property again. Now I am seriously worried about the Priority Club Rewards programme and the varying standards of its implementation and monitoring.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank psahaye
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear psahaye,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. I am so pleased you liked the convenient location of our hotel. Please accept my sincerest apology for the service you encountered affected your stay negatively. I am also sorry for the issues you had with your room accommodations and the room upgrade fell below your expectations. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Scottsdale, AZ.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 2, 2013

If I didn't know the name, I wouldn't guess this is a Holiday Inn Express. The property is wonderful. It is clean and well-kept. The staff is friendly and helpful. The full, hot breakfast had something for everyone in my family, including my extremely picky eater daughter. The rooms are clean, comfortable, in great condition with all your needs anticipated. They even provided paper plates and plastic utensils for use in the room along with the microwave and fridge. Very family-friendly, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to the business traveler. Convenient to Scottsdale attractions and close by to Phoenix-area attractions as well. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone. It was a real value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HIExpressGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Wow, thanks for the great review; we are very happy you had such a great stay with us and please always remember our name and come see us again soon.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed over the Christmas Holidays and couldn't have had a nicer experience. The staff was wonderful and helpful for all kinds of concierge-type assistance. The breakfast was terrific and well seen to by staff to ensure it appeared as fresh and presented during the entire time it was open. Nice happy hour with wine, beer, soft drinks, and nacho kinds of eats. Room was very nice with the kind of layout that precluded feeling cramped like some hotels of this ilk. The grounds were quite nice with a great swimming pool. The hotel is located within easy access to all tourist areas of Scottsdale, as well as to downtown Phoenix via Camelback Rd. and Paradise Valley. We've made several getaway visits to the Phoenix area over the past few years and this hotel will be our choice in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are very touched to be called the "Best HI Express" and we will continue to always try and be the best. Being away from home for the holiday's can sometimes be difficult but we're glad you still had a great experience with us.
Show Low, Arizona
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights as a getaway. It was very comfortable and the staff were AWSOME! The beds were very very comfortable and the room was very clean. Any time I am in Scottsdale, I will stay at the Holiday Inn Express!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
It's great to hear you had an awesome time with us. Anytime you are in Scottsdale, please visit us as we would love to welcome you back to the hotel.
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed December 3, 2012

A very nice hotel, although located right off of a busy, and apparently popular street we couldn't hear the traffic noise. We loved the room, the check in was easy and the staff at the desk very nice and friendly. As usual with what appears to be ALL Holiday Inns, their coffee is the very worst! The breakfast buffet was good, though.

Room Tip: You may want a room away from the pool area, it can get a little noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
HIExpressGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for your review and the kind words about the front desk staff. We are happy you had a great stay despite the coffee issues and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Worcester, England
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Having stayed at many Holiday Inn properties over the years, this hotel is undoubtedly up there with the best. My wife and I stayed 4 nights, having previously stayed here 3 years ago - and I am pleased to say that their standards have not slipped at all in the interim. Our suite was large; quiet, comfortable and clean.

The hotel is ideally located for the Old Town; Scottsdale Stadium; Shops; Restaurants and the Fashion Mall. Ample free car parking; nice reception; internet access; free beer/wine during happy hour; free milk & cookies; unlimited coffee available 24hrs a day. Breakfast was typical HOE fare.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Overall an excellent hotel, and a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scorpian87
HIExpressGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
It never ceases to amaze us when we get such kind words from our guests. Thank you so much for your review and we will always strive to deliver a great experience for our guests and to be the best. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Our family of 4 stayed for 4 nights over the Thanksgiving weekend while visiting family. Room was very comfortable. We liked the fact it was a suite with it's own area where the kids could sleep and watch tv. The staff was very accommodating and even send an apology note with a gift certificate to a local ice cream restaurant, because house keeping missed us one day. The breakfast was good every day with lots of choices. They have a happy hour in the evening with beer or wine and nachos and popcorn and then cookies and milk at night! Overall, was very happy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We are always happy to be able to be apart of families getting together, especially around the Holidays; so thank you for giving us that opportunity and making your stay a great one. We apologize for the inconvenience of the housekeeping but happy the front desk staff was able to rectify the situation for you. Thank you for your review and visit us again.