“Great Mexican Food in Kierland”
Review of Sol Cocina

Sol Cocina
Ranked #338 of 1,283 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Greenway Hayden Loop and Scottsdale Road
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Nice atmosphere inside or out. Located in the heart if shopping at Kierland. Good parking in evening. Tasty Mexican Food. Good service. Strong Margaritas. Make a reservation.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I start my review by saying that I have rarely had to post anything negative on Trip Advisor but have to report our experience at Sol Cocino in the hope that the restaurant learns from it and ensures it doesn't happen to any other clients.
We were visiting Scottsdale last week from the UK and on my wife's birthday, 26th October, she said she would like to eat Mexican food. Lucky us that we came across Sol Cocina where we were met with a good atmosphere, a great reception from waitress Tracey and we quickly had drinks and menus in front of us.
Orders were given but when the food, Burrito for my wife and Tacos for me arrived, it was only just warm. It was very tasty but simply not hot enough so we called our waitress over who apologised profusely and returned it to the kitchens. Soon after, Jason Goetz, who we assumed to be the Manager, came across also to offer his sincere apologies and offered us free deserts.
We were quickly presented with replacement dishes - not reheated ones but new - incredibly, they were colder than their first attempt! How could any restaurant let this happen? The food should have been so hot that it burned the insides of our mouths.
I asked Tracey and Jason to taste the meals to understand the problem and verify that we weren't making it up. Clearly they were both very embarrassed and apologetic but the damage had been done and my wife's birthday treat somewhat ruined. We were not prepared to let them try to be third time lucky.
What I can report is that they picked up the tab for our two coronas and Jason did also say that any time we were back in Scottsdale, the food would be on them. Dare I risk it?? What I would also say is come on guys, barely warm food once I can accept but twice is inexcusable.
I could on the basis of our experience have rated it with no stars but have not done this because I accepted the genuine and sincere apologies from Jason and my wife and I did both get the feeling that this was probably a great place to eat. Don't let this report stop you from going there but do hold it in your mind in the event that your food arrives barely warm. After their experience with us last Saturday, it should never be allowed to happen again.
Jason, if you read this report, we do have every intention of coming back next time we are in Arizona and taking you up on that offer of dinner on the restaurant. It will provide you with an opportunity to redress the disappointment of last Saturday and enable me to hopefully give you a five star future report.
Alistair Coy

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We enjoyed this place so much, we went twice during our week in Arizona. The service is friendly and it is clear the staff is well trained on the menu. The drinks are terrific and the food is wonderful. Everything from the appetizers to entrees were on point. Loved the seasoning and the care paid attention to each meal. Even the sides are tasty. The best mexican food we had during our week was here. I would certainly come back the next time I am in Scottsdale.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Maybe that isn't the most positive thing, but that is how good the food was. I was first impressed with the overall atmosphere and lively attitude of the hostess and then the excellent service from our table server. We were seated near the back by a window, which was fine with us. There were some larger tables for groups that were having a wonderful time. We ordered an appetizer, which is somewhat out of the norm for us, but it looked so delicious on another groups table. My husband got a margarita recommended to us by our server and he thought it was one of the best he has ever had, and he has had a lot of margaritas. There are a la carte options and entree options. I can't wait to go back to try them all. I got the enchiladas and wound up taking most of it home and they were just as good the next day! My husband got three of the a la carte tacos which he stated he couldn't decide which his favorite was, he did promise next time we would try the "vampire" taco that includes ghost pepper! It was a family friendly place we might consider bringing our son to on a weeknight, but I know we will return for date night again!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Great appies & margaritas! Had a beef burrito - was surprised at how truly tasty, delicious and grande it was!!!! I was expecting ground beef and instead tender morsels of flavourful steak together with black beans, guac & pico de gallo with side of Mexican rice and beans. Had half of the order boxed up and ate for lunch the next day. Service was great - waiter very attentive. Would most definitely go back again when we are in the Scottsdale area.