“It's like home”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Barrio Queen

Barrio Queen
Ranked #35 of 1,241 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Spanish, Mexican, Southwestern, Latin
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Best Mexican Soul Food in Arizona. Unique flavors of authentic Mexico City dishes. One of the Top Five largest Tequileria in United States.
“It's like home”
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

I've never been treated so kindly upon returning to a restaurant 6 months later, but my server recognized me from back the and gave us the warmest huh upon entry. We had the guacamole with cranberries (adds zing!), delicious enchiladas, and a crapload of various tacos. Oh so yummy and a MUST when I visit Scottadale.

• Visited June 2014

Manhattan, Kansas
“I just don't get it.”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Barrio Queen came highly recommended to us. We couldn't wait.

My gosh, we must have caught the place on a bad night. Our waiter was scarce. The food was at times greasy and others not. Meal was served cold. Charge aggressiveness. Unclean restroom.

Others: please keep reviewing this so that we can see if it gets better. I want to go back, but won't until others, local friends included, advise that things are better.

• Visited June 2014
Mississauga
“amazing food”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This restaurant is so good we had to go back the next day for lunch! ( we tried at dinner). excellent service. They prepare the guacamole at your table. (Its different and they add cranberries to it!) The burritos are so good and big. the tacos are very small but really tasty! de margaritas are great. If I lived in Scottsdale I will eat there on a weekly basis. If you want to eat Mexican in Arizona do not miss this place!

1 Thank SunMississauga
Cave Creek, Arizona
“Wow, what a disappointment”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

After hearing so much about the woman in charge of this restaurant, we were excited to finally visit. This is not her original location and maybe that's the problem.

It certainly was busy enough. But the food was really disappointing. It wasn't just the quality, it was the fact that our expectations were so high. I really wanted to sing the praises of this restaurant, but there's no way this was good.

We had a variety of tastings, from tortas to carnitas tacos to cochinita pibil, And none were that good. This was like going to chain version of Mexican food.

It was very busy, so our server was not by too often either. I'd advise staying away from the location. Too bad.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Ate there on a bad night?”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

I couldn't wait to try Barrio Queen since we always pass by it on our nights in Old Town. I must have hit it on a bad night because both my husband's and my meal were terrible. Maybe it was because we ordered the Restaurant week meals and they were pre-made, I'm not sure.

My carne asada was soooo tough I could barely swallow it after like 5 minutes of chewing -- literally! The mini carnitas taco was bone dry. The flan was OK -- I've had much better. The 2 stars are for the delicious, chunky tableside guac.