“Modern, Clean, and Good Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
New York, NY
“Modern, Clean, and Good Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2007

We stayed at the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa for 2 nights during the heat of summer. This resort has tons and tons of acitivities for kids. It almost felt like kids camp. It is children friendly and the staff here are professional and nice. The rooms are clean and modern and decorated in AZ style. The valet service takes a long time and cost $24! So park at self park right outside the entrance. I see no reason why valet is so expensive here. The pool is indeed crowded with kids and teenagers. There is an adult pool where lounge chairs are easier to find. But the kids pool is packed!

They recognize SPG memebers (I am a Platinum) and you will get the appropriate upgrade and treatment without saying anything. This is always a plus!

This resort is a big "corporate". Like other posters comments, it does not offer you the AZ feel that you get from resorts like JW Marriott Scottsdale or the Four Seasons Scottsdale. If you need that type of feel, this resort is not for you. It is very very modern, big building, with lots of ballroom and convention type space.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank Mike_the_traveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Korean first
Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2007

I went to this hotel for business purpose. I really like it. It is big and the rooms are really comfortable. The only that I didnt like is that at night, they only open one pool and it is always empty and the jacuzzi is always full.

Besides that I really like it. Specially the bathroom which is so beautiful.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank ChristianESL
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2007

We stayed for five nights in August. As we travelled with two children we had booked two rooms and I e-mailed twice ahead of our stay to request a room with connecting doors. Never received an answer (not even an automated one), which I find unacceptable for a hotel of this class.
Other than that we had a great time. The staff is extremely friendly, service is excellent and rooms are well appointed and in good condition, though they start to show some signs of wear. This was our second stay at the Westin (first in 2004) and one big improvement has taken place. While in 2004 the family pool closed at 6.00 p.m and the Lazy River even at 5.00pm both now remain open till 08.00 pm which is wonderful, as at that time part of the pools lie in the shade.However, one change we did not appreciate was the relocation of the s'mores. While before it took place by the main fireplace with nice furniture and bar service, it has been relocated to some very dark place in a hidden corner of the hotel, where you had to sit on rocks. It lacked atmosphere and most people did not stay a second longer than it took to satisfy the kids' appetite. There were no drinks served and it was really absolutely dark.
We had breakfast at Nelly Cashman's every morning. The food is fine, but service is rather mediocre. The restaurants of Kierland Commons are a short walk away. Prices are rather upmarket, but we had a very nice dining experience at the Italian restaurant North (also good with children, especially when you dine outdoors).
The pool area is very nice, however the cushions on the loungers are really shabby and should be exchanged. Also, somebody should do something about the naughty birds, which inhibit the pool area and leave their droppings on the cushions and eat your food, the second you turn your head.
Ever though the above seems to sound a back negative, we had a wonderful stay and we will certainly come back. The overall experience of our stay is clearly positive.

• Liked — Great pools
  • Disliked — disgusting cushions on loungers
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank fraugast
Palmetto, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

This past week, I stayed at the Westin Kierland for a business trip. I have always been in love with the Phoenix area, and this made my love only stronger.

To begin, the hotel offers either FREE self parking or valet for a cost. Once inside, the front desk has a one-on-one feel being that the check-in area isn't one long desk. Because I arrived later in the day, I was given a complimentary updgrade to the Casita Villages. My room turned out to be a suite with a fireplace, separate tub, excellent mini-bar and full kitchen. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what their average rooms look like as this was my first trip there.

The exterior of the hotel is immaculate. There is actually quite a bit of wildlife around the hotel including plenty of desert rabbits and hummingbirds. For adults, there is an adult-only pool and a spa with a menu that goes on and on. For those with kids, there is a larger pool available with a lazy river. In addition, there is everything from a driving range, golf courses, fire-pits and a bagpiper who plays every day at sundown.

The staff was excellent throughout the whole trip acknowledging your presence whenever you walk by. If you like to be outside, this is a great walking resort. Right across the street is Kierland Commons with some of the best restaurants and shopping in town so you can actually stay at the resort for a few days and not even get in your car. If you do chose to drive, old-town Scottsdale is about an 8 mile drive right down Scottsdale road.

Overall, I would absolutely stay at this resort for business or pleasure in the future.

• Liked — Active outdoor lifestye resort and FREE self parking
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank TPA2LAS
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for our company's fourth straight summer conference, and once again, it lived up to every expectation. The rooms are attractively designed and wonderfully appointed; service is gracious in all outlets; and the pools and golf recreation areas were hospitable in every sense of the word.

Is this a true "desert resort" with the ambiance of Old Scottsdale or a Sonoran Desert retreat? No. But it truly is a first class hotel, in a southwestern motif, that meets my expectations of a Westin hotel. Perfect for conferences, business trips, short family getaways and the like. Great shopping and top-shelf restaurants nextdoor in the Kierland center, too.

We look forward to going back, hopefully soon...

• Liked — High quality, location, amenities; Kierland center next door
  • Disliked — not a thing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Louis59
Phoenix
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2007

Book my room through expedia.com and recieved a pretty good rate with a $50 resort credit. Checked into the hotel and confimed with the front desk agent the pre-payment of room and the credit. While reviewing my credit card statement I noticed I was dinged for another $200 room charge. I am still trying to get this resolved.

Service was spotty. We checked into the hotel strickly to relax at the pool. Pool service sucked. When I entered the gate I asked the pool attendent if they sold magazines, since they were selling other items. Thier response - nope. Ok, where can I buy a magazine - Thier response - I dont know. Ok, do know where the gift shop is - Their response - somewhere in the main building. It was like pulling teeth to get any information. I had to find a pool server and ask for a menu, then my food came as I was in the pool, and the bird attacked it. All the while a Westin employee was about 20 feet sitting at a table watching the whole thing happen.

The resort was nice, service wasnt up to par. The rooms are nice, loved the beds and the showers, but lets face it, even the small hotels have great showers and beds now. They need to step it up!

Wish me luck I get my $200 back!!!

• Liked — The beds and shower
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank CA2PHX
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2007

The front desk agents went above and beyond my expectations! My boyfriend and I were staying out in the villas (about a 5-10 minute walk from the lobby) and the lady at the front desk offered to arrange transportation for us back to our room. It was late at night (yet still very warm out) and I really appreciated that she arranged a ride for us. I also had a few mosquito bites and she gave me some cream to stop the itching. Last but not least, she overheard me telling my boyfriend that my feet were getting sore from walking around in heels all night and she came right up to me with a pair of slippers! I was extremely satisfied with the service we received here and the hotel itself is beautiful! The pool is awesome as well...lay out in the sun, relax in a cabana, or lounge in the lazy river! This was my first trip to Scottsdale and I will definitely stay here again for my next one.

• Liked — Pool, great service
  • Disliked — no free high-speed internet in the rooms - $10 a day!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business