“Blown away”

Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Phila, PA
“Blown away”
Reviewed March 11, 2007

One of the best Resort and Spas I have ever been to. You must do the spa it was amazing! Everything about this resort is great! You can not go wrong....well worth the money!

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DnRNelson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 1, 2007

The main hotel was totally booked, due a number of large business conferences in progress (the mainstay of their business, it seems to me) so we were put in the "Villas". It's on the same property (though a bit of a walk) and guests can use all amenities at the large, main hotel. The name "Villas" brought to mind stand-alone little cottages with some privacy but I couldn't have been more wrong. The "Villas" are the Kierland Westin's time shares. They are just well decorated, clean, brand new rooms (albeit large) with exterior doors, as in a motel. You can get room service (a recent addition) which is served on paper plates and in a paper bag and, on the positive side, is 1/2 the price of what you'd pay in the main hotel. But, it's not the elegant service you'd get in the main hotel. The big problem with this place is the hard sell they give you to go on the 1 1/2 to 2 hour time share 'tour'. There's a fancy sales desk in the reception area of the Villas expressly for that purpose, but it doesn't stop there. When we went to the main hotel (a 7 minute confusing stroll through the golf course with no signs to guide your way) to ask the concierge for fun things to do in Phoenix/Scottsdale, third on her list of recommendations was taking the tour of the Villas!! "It's unlike any tour you've ever taken, I assure you," she gushed. They offer a $100 credit in the spa and discounts on future Starwood stays if you go on it, but I told her that the last thing my husband would consider on his valuable vacation time was listening to a sales spiel.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank impicky
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 27, 2007

I stayed at the Kierland Westin Resort in Scottsdale as part of a business convention in February 2007. By most standards, it is a perfectly pleasant hotel. By the standards of many Scottsdale resorts, though, it is a relatively plain vanilla hotel with some window dressing. The rooms are average, and you feel like you could be at any generic mid-range hotel in the country. The service was fine but not remarkable. There is a standard golf course, tennis facility, etc., but again, average. The bagpiper at sundown was a nice touch, but certainly not enough to push this property into the ranks of the better resorts in Scottsdale. There is no real reason not to stay here, but no reason to go out of your way to do so either. Scottsdale has better, more luxurious resorts.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Wedgewood
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed February 5, 2007

Hi,
This note is an fyi for guests staying at the Westin Kierland Resort or Villas during Feb 2007.

I had a reservation for this period at the Westin, however after seeing a note on the 'what to expect' section of Expedia.com for this hotel, I called the hotel and confirmed that their family pools (inlcluding water slides & Lazy River, etc) will be closed Feb 12-16, 2007 for renovations. Only the adult pool will be open. The front desk clerk I spoke with seemed to not care about the impact to guests.

I was very dissapointed that the hotel did not mention this to guests who booked during this period or tried to contact them, especially given the expensive nature of this hotel and seemed prepared to instead deal with the dissapointment of guests next week when they checked in. I had a family trip planned for that week to the resort and a main feature for us was the pools/lazy river/kids area. We have cancelled at the Westin.

At any rate, I hope this helps you prepare for your trip in February(if applicable). FYI: There are good rates available for the same period at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess ($299/night) and the J.W. Marriott at Desert Ridge ($359 including meal credits) (I've not stayed at these, so you will want to check the reviews first here on tripadvisor.com)

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank LOWA
Fallbrook, Ca.
Reviewed January 25, 2007

We went to the Westin Kierland on a business trip with 50 other people. There was only one mistake in our arrangements, one couple got a handicap room and couldn't get a different room because "there were none available. Other than that, we were very pleased with our accomodations. The grounds, rooms and all areas of hotel were gorgeous! The spa was first class, and my therapist was one of the best I've ever had. We will be staying there again the next time we are in Scottsdale!

• Liked — first class feel everything!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank fallbrookgirl
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed December 29, 2006

I will premise this by saying that although we only stayed here for one night, we had previously stayed at the Westin Kierland Villas next door for a week. My parents are Starwood members and booked an additional night here. So we were familiar with the property. We had just requested 2 rooms w/ king beds and when we called about checking in early (since we would basically be nomads for a few hours after check-out at the villas), they said we could check-in early and the one room would be ready. To our delight, they put us in adjoining casitas - overlooking the lazy river and family pool.

The rooms were large immaculate and very comfortable and we loved the balconies that overlooked the lazy river. Even though it was just one night, it was nice they closed the family pool at night, since it probably wouldn't be pleasant trying to sleep above it. We spent most of the day at the adult pool, which was great and then went to check out the lazy river. Loved it! The only thing we didn't like were the prices by the pool. While we thought the prices were a little steep at the villas, they were almost double here. Sandwiches about $14; drinks about $10. But oh well...it didn't lessen our great experience.

The grounds were beautiful, as well as the building and there were lots of food options, although we (and most people) ate most meals off the resort. There are so many great restaurants in Scottsdale. We did eat breakfast one morning at Nellie Cashman's and it was delicious and we enjoyed the fact that you could sit outside and enjoy the lovely scenery.

Staff was very helpful and friendly. We had an early morning flight the next morning and, just as promised, they had sent over a bellperson in a little cart to help with our luggage.

Our only wish was that we had the opportunity to stay longer in our casita. We didn't see the standard rooms, but I would definitely recommend the casitas. We will be back!

• Liked — The grounds; specifically the pools
  • Disliked — Food prices by the pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Take a day trip to Sedona in a Pink Jeep Tour!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank fins823
Vancouver,WA
Reviewed December 10, 2006

I stayed at the Westin Kierland for 2 nights last week, attending a conference. Everything was great!

The conference facilities were very nice and accommodated a large group (600 people). The group meals were definately above average for conference fare. Even the snacks were great (warm cookies and pretzels). Probably the top conference hotel I have been to.

I would have to disagree with a previous reviewer who was concerned about "smells." I thought the resort had a nice fresh smell to it.

The service was great ... staff were invariably friendly and helpful. On the last day of the conference, I checked out in the morning but my flight wasn't leaving until 8:20 that evening. It was no problem to leave my luggage with the bellman, and then retrieve it and use the spa facility to change clothes after I finished with the conference. I relaxed by the pool for a while enjoying the Arizona sunshine, then showered in the spa before leaving. This made the trip home that evening more relaxing.

The spa is quite upscale, as you would expect. The showers in the men's spa locker area each had their own dressing area with plenty of space for changing ... very convenient! I thought the spa was so impressive I bought a gift certificate for my wife for Christmas (We are planning to stay in the nearby Kierland Villas next spring.) The womens side is probably even nicer than the mens side, and I'm sure she will have a great experience.

The nearby Commons area has lots of shops and restaurants, and is a short walk from the resort. The room was nice and the bed very comfortable. The only (small) negative was that there was more noise than I expected coming in from the hallway. However, my room was off what was probably the busiest hallway (ground floor, connecting to the reception area and the deseo restaurant).

Great facility ... I hope my group reserves future conferences here.

• Stayed November 2006