“Favorite Resort in Scottsdale”

The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I just returned from 3 days at the Kierland Resort & Spa. This is my second time staying at this hotel. I love Scottsdale and I especially love this hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

The staff is extremely helpful and does their utmost to make your stay enjoyable plus they are very knowledgeable about things to do in the area. The hotel is clean and the grounds are impeccable. The rooms are spacious and comfortable…especially the Heavenly bed. We were there the week before Christmas and it was pretty empty. We really enjoyed listening to the playing of the bagpipes at dusk each evening. It was very calming and peaceful.

I had the breakfast buffet one day and ordered off the menu the next. It was delicious both days but I expected my eggs to come with toast or potatoes. Everything had to be ordered separately as it is a la carte. I also ate lunch at the restaurant on the golf course which was delicious. We ate outside which was very pleasant and peaceful. We got to watch the golfers practice before beginning their game.

I highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Scottsdale. It is located right across the street from an upscale shopping mall and there are several terrific restaurants located there. In addition, it is not far from downtown Scottsdale or to shopping, dining and attractions within the area.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank smooshie
Write a ReviewReviews (2,528)

Reviewed December 20, 2009

We enjoyed the friendly staff and services once we arrived at this hotel. Everyone was helpful and made sure our stay was perfect. This trip was a short retreat for us before our families arrived for the holidays.
The rooms were a bit small but great for what we needed during our stay.The decor of the hotel and in our room was nice and soothing . Having a choice of a shower /bath was a great plus to either soak and then shower after a long day of shopping was a nice feature we do not see at many hotels and the beds were comfy albiet with a tad too much sheets and comforters for this area.
The hotel grounds are lovely and we also dined at the Nellie Cashmen's for breakfast instead of heading over to the shops across. (Hotel guests can get a discount at some shops and restaurants across the street if you show your room key)
We were very surprised at the quality of the food and their selections at Nellie's. The meal had cost less than expected and they did everything to bring the quality up to a fine dining expierience. We were happy that we decided to dine in at the hotel and not leave so we may enjoy the grounds further. They have a great bar in the lobby too.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 17, 2009

I read a lot of the reviews on TA. They are pretty accurate. The big knock on the place is in the winter they keep the pools so cold they are not usable. I'm sure it is a cost cutting maneuver. It's a real bummer.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2009

This resort is beautiful, staff are first class, nice location as well. However the hotel room is disappointing-relative small with outdated decor. I particularly don't like the bed as you can see in some travellers' photos, they are not as comfortable. I feel like the room need an upgrade to stay up to five star standard.
The temperature of the outdoor heated pool is too low for end November weather, so we ended up staying in the jacuzzi.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2009

This hotel is located very nicely in Scottsdale. It is modern, the rooms are great, the service is outstanding, and the surroundings are gorgeous. It is built on many, many acres of property which houses a golf course and a number of swimming pools and a spa. We'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2009

I was visiting Scottsdale on my own in order to see some old friends and booked into the Westin Kierland for 5 nights. The hotel and resort are beautiful and the facilities very impressive; I particularly liked the adults only pool where hunky young waiters bring you complimentary jugs of iced water...and the complimentary shuttle to the mall/local restaurants, ideal for someone without a car.

Just a few small things annoyed me:
1/the usual rip off internet usage fee, unbelievable when you consider the cost of the room and the fact that I was a Starwood Preferred Guest, but they wouldn;t budge on it
2/I made one phonecall to the UK using the hotel phone, a 9 minute call that ended up costing me $90, yes, $10/minute! When I complained, they claimed there was a tiny card somewhere near the phone warning of the charges (and there was me naively thinking it would cost more to use my mobile lphone) Again, they wouldn;t budge, said they had "no control" over these charges.
3/One night, I was woken at 2am by shouting and screaming and door slamming in my corridor - this noise went on for at least an hour. After about half an hour, I rang reception, who assured me that security were dealing with the matter and eventually the noise did stop. As a woman on my own, I must admit I was worried and went to reception the next morning. After speaking to at least three members of staff, and waiting for the "manager" to get back to me (he or she never did) I was assured that the people who had caused the ruckus had checked out and there would be no more trouble. I felt that this was a bit shabby - a proper apology would have been appreciated (or some sort of gesture like waiving that night's stay would have been appropriate I think)
4/FInally, I was told that breakfast was included in my room rate when I checked in, but, of course, I was charged for a full breakfast every day of my stay when I got the bill. This was deducted when I complained, but again, I felt a hotel like this shouldn;t make mistakes like that.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for one night as a quick romantic getaway. We got a fantastic rate on Priceline ($80!). At that rate, I thought that maybe we would get the worst room in the resort. Instead we were given a room on the sixth floor with a great view of the courtyard. The room was comfortable and clean. The bathroom sparkled and the starbucks coffee in the room was great. The restaurants in the resort looked nice but we didn't want to spend a lot of money so we headed over to the Kierland Commons mall next door and had a fabulous dinner at "The Greene House." Even though it was too short...the experience was wonderful.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple