“We keep coming back”

Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
WI
“We keep coming back”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Extremely well run hotel. Very comfortable rooms/beds. Several on site restaurants offer excellent food and service. Adults only pool is quiet once family pool opens in the morning. Sunset with a bagpipe player each evening is something to experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Korean first
NJ
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I can't say enough about this place. This was our fourth trip to the Westin Kierland and we will continue to go back. Our favorite part is listening to the bagpiper, Michael, who plays every night at sunset out by the golf course.

sacramento, calif
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Meetings were well serviced and buffet was excellent.
Good access to shuttles and easy walk to shops and restaurants.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
rockville centre NY
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Just returned after spending a week here at the Westin Kierland. Everything about the hotel was first class. The food was good, the "piper" in the evening was entertaining and most of all the folks working here couldn't do eneogh for you. We were upgrade to a suite since I am a SPG Gold member. They are just next door to a large shopping area with many restaurants, and they wil shuttle you over there if you wish, I have read in a few other reviews of this hotel about areas of the carpet not being in good condition. Before we left we saw that they are in the process of replacing the carpet. Golf was good, air conditioned golf cart, and club rental was a new set of Calloways.

New York, NY
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a conference and was traveling alone. Check in was smooth and easy, and my room was very nice and spacious. There was a good size desk (with only one outlet on it) and a cute little balcony with two chairs and a little table. There was a good size bathroom with a tub and separate shower. I agree with a previous poster that housekeeping was just a little inconsistant-- I always had enough towels, but one day they took the floor mat towel and didn't leave a replacement.
The pool areas were very nice-- the lazy river was a little 'lazier' than I expected, but would be great with friends and a drink. The water slide was fun, and the adult pool was very relaxing, with full size rafts to float on. As others said, there is an upscale outdoor mall just a few minutes away, which was nice so you aren't forced to eat every meal at the resort if you don't have a car, which I didn't.
Food in the restaurants was very expensive for what it was. However, I was there during AZ Restaurant Week, so was able to take advantage of that at Deseo. This was probably the highlight of my stay-- I sat at the Ceviche bar, where I could watch the chefs in action, and where they offered me a couple of samples of the different ceviches. All of the food I had there was fantastic, far from the standard hotel restaurant fare. I also ate a Nellie Cashman's, which was fine, but nothing to write home about.
Overall I had a very nice positive experience. The cons I would say are that they charge for internet, and are really expensive. I had a conference rate which was still nearly $250 a night, and that was a significant savings off of the regular rate. For that, they still charge $13 a day for internet? (It was wireless, though, on the plus side). That, and on Friday night, the hotel definitely got a little louder with leisure guests arriving and business people leaving. I was awakened a few times during the night by loud voices in the hall and doors slamming. I never called the front desk about this though, so can't fault them.
Oh, and the golf course looked really nice, but I don't play so I can't say how it was.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Atlanta
Reviewed September 25, 2009

My wife attended a conference at the Westin Kierland Resort and I tagged along for fun. The resort is lovely and beautifully maintained. Check-in was quick and efficient. We had a standard room but we were surprised that there was just a single shared reading light rather than a light for each of the queen beds. Since we were staying for several days, we requested a refrigerator which permitted us to have orange juice and milk whenever we wanted it. There was a Safeway Grocery store within a mile from the resort’s entrance.

There is also a shopping center right next to the hotel with upscale shopping available. While it is a quick walk to the shopping center, the hotel also offers a shuttle to take you there.

The resort has an adult pool which was opened 24/7. One evening while my wife worked, I had the entire pool to myself as I watched the sun set.

Seven nights a week they have a bagpiper playing outside in the Dreamweavers Canyon. The flaming fire pit added a nice romantic touch to the music.

The concierge has a self-guided walking tour entitled “Treasuring the Essence of Arizona” of both the interior as well as the exterior of the resort. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the art, the photos, and the history and culture of Arizona.

The resort has a resident artist named Nelson Garcia-Miranda whose colorful and fluid paintings adorn the Deseo Restaurant. Even when the restaurant is closed for dinner, it is open for viewing his artwork which is also for sale.

There are a number of activities outside the resort, but a car is needed for all of them. I toured Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin West for their 90 minute “Insights Tour.” I drove the Apache Trail with a map from the concierge. I also went to the Arizona Museum of Natural History in Mesa with displays of dinosaurs and Indian villages. I think that kids would really enjoy it.

Indiana
Reviewed September 20, 2009

This hotel is terrific and I hated to leave. They did not charge a resort or parking fee which others in the area did. The beds were very comfortable, rooms were large and well appointed and the bathroom was fabulous - loved the double shower head. The pool and grounds were beautiful but the best part was the bagpipper who plays every night at dusk. Truely amazing in a great setting. If I lived in Arizona, I would come to have a drink and watch him play every night.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business