“A very nice hotel”

Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Aylesbury, England
“A very nice hotel”
Reviewed January 23, 2006

I stayed here on business back in July for 3 nights. As a frequent traveller i must say the standard of this hotel is excellent.

Very courteous and helpful staff, along with great service made this stay easy to enjoy.

The room was a good size, with mini bar (not too expensive), wireless internet point along with all the usual things you would expect. The room was pristine and well maintained.

There is a good size pool, and lots of golfing (didn’t use it so i cannot comment).

I ate in 2 of the restaurants here, both were a reasonable price and the quality of the food was good.

One tip, beware of the hotel taxi service, from my opinion it was over priced and the guy I used on the first and only day had no idea where he was going. Apart from that, from a business mans perspective everything is good here.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
8 Thank Rob Askew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
  • Korean first
NV
Reviewed January 16, 2006

During a recent trip to visit my family, we chose to enjoy the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa while in the Scottsdale Area.

We were so impressed by the level of service that I had to take the time to make a few comments after reading some of the other comments on this site. We stayed on what appeared to be a weekend with many corporate types in house, but the staff handled the mix of guests with ease, catering me and my children with extra cara. My children were greeted by name twice when entering the front door and the front desk agent Lee remembered my name each time I passed despite only meeting me once when my key didn't work, a situation which could have been frustrating, but ended very positive when Lee handed my kids hats and later sent a plate of cookies to the room for my family.

We had delightful meals at Brittlebush Bar and Grill near the golf course and also at the Deseo Restaurant, the hotels nicer of the many restuarants on property. We were served by Chad, who startled us at first with his laughter and quick ability to make us feel at home. It was a truly relaxing fine dining experience and exactly what a resort dining experience should feel like. Chad posseses extraordinary knowledge of the house wines and could tell sounded very educated as he described the menu to us. Our meal was delicious...from the ceviche to the complimentary dessert brought by Chad when he found out it was a special occasion. Chad is a huge asset to this resort!

We seldom passed a staff member at this resort that we were not offered help or at least smiled at. It was delight and we will definitely be back to spend more time in Westins Heavenly Beds.

-Brandon Simpson and Family

14 Thank mtnbikerguy
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 15, 2006

This is the best Starwood luxury property we've stayed at yet. We loved this resort. Our room had a gorgeous view of the golf course. The heavenly bed and heavenly shower were superb, as expected at Westin properties. The location is perfect - walking distance to the Commons shopping area, which is very charming and has some nice stores. We had dinner at Bobby's in the Commons, which we highly recommend.

Probably the best part of our stay was the staff. Every time we simply walked by a staff member, we were greeted genuinely and asked if we were enjoying our stay. I am not exaggerating. I even said to my husband that it's obvious the staff takes pride in the hotel and enjoys working there. In fact, I'm shocked to read some of the other negative reviews.

As for parking, valet is free until 11:00 pm. After that, it's $21. I see no reason to leave the car w/ the valet after 11:00 - just park it yourself after that time since the lot is right there.

My husband golfed and said it was a great course.
I was brave and got my hair cut in the salon. I wanted a drastic cut and was very lucky to get Michael. He gave me the best cut I've ever had. If you want your hair done while you're there, ask for Michael!

• Stayed January 2006
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed December 13, 2005

We stayed at the Westin Kierland for three nights. The hotel was just okay. Yes, it is new and big, but the service does not seem very genuine and the hotel feels very impersonal and cold. I expected more from the hotel...
The rooms are nice and roomy, and the beds are truly heavenly, but we found the service spotty and well below average. While we were there for three nights, our room was not vacuumed during our entire stay; on the last day, we had to ask to have it vacuumed! On our last night, they did not pick up/change our towels, which were left on the bathroom floor. The little shampoo, lotion, etc, were only replaced once. There were stains on the walls in the bathroom by the toilet!
However, the pool areas and grounds are very nice and well maintained, and it is nice to be able to walk to Kierland Commons for shopping and restaurants.
I would maybe stay at this hotel again, but I would definetly explore my options!

• Stayed November 2005
7 Thank WorldUSTraveler
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 9, 2005

We arrived early for check-in, around 11:30 am, and were immediately able to check into our room and were upgraded to a golf course view. Rooms were very nice with a balcony. The bathroom had a separate shower and tub with nice amenities. Almost the entire “room” is available for purchase – mattress, linens, comforter, showerhead, bathrobes, and bath amenities. Perhaps this is why I had to ask for additional bath amenities, they would rather sell you additional quantities.

Valet parking is very expensive, $21 daily, and really not necessary since the parking lot is rather large and next to the hotel. The hotel provides a free shuttle bus service to the Kireland shopping center, however it’s right across the street within walking distance. They also have a town car service, which was $35 each way to Old Scottsdale. Be clear if you prefer a cab instead, it might be less expensive. North was an excellent Italian restaurant in Kireland shopping center. Outside dining was very nice, call ahead for reservations on the weekends. Also dined at Cowboy Ciao ([--]) in Old Scottsdale, very interesting menu, chop salad is a must! Also recommend Kazimierz Wine Bar located in the same shopping center of Cowboy Ciao for incredible wine list and atmosphere. We had room service twice for breakfast, excellent service, presentation, and quality.

The golf course was very beautiful, each evening a bag piper would play at sunset at the edge of the course. A fire pit is lit in the evening and if you’re lucky you can get bar service. The entire grounds of the hotel were spectacular. The adult pool and hot tub were great and are open 24 hours, but I had to hunt down towels in the morning. The lazy river, slide, and common pool were beautiful and well attended by the staff. I didn’t visit the spa or gym, too busy lounging by the pool.

The staff couldn’t have been friendlier; everyone was very helpful, polite, and accommodating. I would definitely return to this hotel, it is a first class establishment.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
27 Thank Chentine
Reviewed November 6, 2005

We recently stayed at this hotel for five nights. It is high season and the rates were high. Check in was horrible - the king room we had booked was unavailable, and the mountain view was a view of the parking lot. Desk personnel were disinterested and condescending, an attitude we found in many service personnel (hostess at the restuarant, hotel bar). We eventually secured a room with a golf course view, which was gorgeous, but had two double (not queen as claimed) beds. The rooms are on the small side, decently equipped but without the luxurious feel and creative architecture of some newly built Westins. The grounds are lovely, as is the pool. Young children will love the lazy river and pool slide. There is a seperate pool for adults. the workout room is well equipped. The hotel is within easy walking distance to the Kierland Mall, an upscale shopping area. It's hard to rate this hotel, as it is definitely upscale, and golfers will find it especially appealing, but the overall feel of disinterest from the staff made me feel inclined to look elsewhere on my next visit.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
11 Thank BigBree
Encinitas, California
Reviewed October 10, 2005

This was our 4th trip this yr to the Westin. Last year we stayed at the Hyatt regency & two other 4+ star hotels. The Westin is by far much nicer & consistent in service & atmosphere. Rooms are impeccable & Service does not get much better..service at the front desk, room service, turn-down service, pool waitress service & especially "service esxpress". Ive ordered room service & had food at my door in as little as 15 minutes, no more than 25. Convenience with shuttle to Kierland Commons is a blessing. We,ve stayed at the Casita's which are poolside & at the Villa's which is 1/4 mile from main resort. Where ever you want to go on premeises (incl.Kirland commons) just call service express & they will have a complimentary shuttle awiting outside your door. One of the reasons we decided to try this resort is because we have a 2 1/2 yo girl & the zero entrance pool works out great. This is a very large pool, a water slide is a few steps away & so is the looong lazy river. Many other pools throughout the resort as well. If you play golf(I dont) this is supposedly a golfers paradise. Also this hotel host many convention groups which seems to work out great for the tourists since the convention people are always in session, having a private party somewhere & leaving the pools mostly to the vacationers. Recommended local restaurant: Maestros Ocean Club and The Grill at the Scottsdale Princess. On premises "Deseo" puts out some spectacular dishes with "Nellie Cashman" a great choice for breakfast or lunch. I could only think of one negative thing to mention about the Westin, & that would be that on more than one occassion at the front entrance, we had to wait 10-15 minutes for a a town car or taxi. Would like to mention two gentlemen at front desk that were outstanding..& that would be Lee and Brandon. feel free to write me if you have any aditional questions about the westin.

• Stayed October 2005