“My only complaint is that I did not stay longer!”

The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Pasadena, California
“My only complaint is that I did not stay longer!”
Reviewed July 20, 2009

You can't get better than this. The Kierland is fabulous. Perfect in every detail. Rooms are spacious and the staff is HIGHLY trained.

They host all types of recreation, golf, swimming and have a luxurious property with a really cool restaurant on the green area.

Yes, I would stay here again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 17, 2009

We stayed at the Westin Kierland Resort last month for a few days and the place is quite stunning- But... the bad first- for such a lovely place, seeing the hallway carpeting frayed and stained is unacceptable- one of the first things you see when being taken to your room- They need to fix this!
The Good- a really fabulous place- spacious rooms, great pool/wandering river area, stunning grounds and great restaurents- We had a really great meal at Deseo. And the Spa- yes a little spendy, but really great!
We also found the staff ( all the staff!) very helpfull and accomodating-
We would definately visit again

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Fort Worth
Reviewed July 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed here June 26-29, 2009 in a regular king room. The room itself was wonderful!!! The bed was just right, I loved the seperate shower and tub, and the view was extraordinary. My husband, who has seen many golf courses in his time, said it was one of the most beautiful courses he has ever seen. The staff were polite and could not have been any nicer. The reason I am not giving it a 5 star is due to the fact that our next door neighbors had ordered pizza and other room service food on Saturday night and it was still sitting out there on Monday morning when we left. The smell was terrible and I could not believe the maids or someone else didn't pick it up. I also noticed a used tea bag down the main hallway to get to the elevators and it stayed in the middle of the carpet for over 24 hours. Very surprised in regards to keeping this gorgeous property properly maintained. One more thing that bothered me, which other people would not care about, was the carpet in the hallways (4th floor) were coming apart at the seams. The entire 4th floor had this problem, just strange that they have a wonderful property with terrible carpet issues. We did not eat a any of the restaurants on property, so I can't say much about them. I would highly recommend this property to anyone who is looking to get away for a quick weekend or to have a good time with the kids. Just FYI valet parking is $27.00 per night, cheaper than I anticipated. Happy Traveling!!!

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 8, 2009

We have stayed at the Westin Keirland many times over the past few years. We always enjoy the pool and find it very kid friendly for our 2 kids (10 and 13 years old). Our room had several stains on the carpet and there were some cobwebs behind the door. The hallway carpet also had a lot of stains and was severely frayed. We mentioned these things to the front desk and the next morning the stains had been cleaned and the housekeeping staff was very apologetic. We appreciated all of the staff's level of customer service and willingness to try to address our concerns. We paid a decent rate of $129/night for a great resort, but it was Phoenix in the summer time and it was hot!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Brea, CA
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Just got back from 6 days at the Westin Kierland with my 3 year old son and 5 year old daughter. I chose the Westin Kierland for its pool scene and was not disappointed. I liked that guests had to wear a bracelet to enter the pool area. We left the resort only twice to go across the street and have dinner at the Kierland Commons (PF Chang's and Cheesecake Factory). We had bagels, fruit and pastries from the coffee shop every morning and lunch at Nelly Cashman's. The kid's menu is really reasonable ranging from $5 - $7. Overall, this Westin was pretty much what you would expect from a Westin hotel, but what I loved about this property was the attention to families and kids.

There is a FUN passport weekly calendar you receive, much like a daily schedule on a cruise, which outlines the day's activities. Some of the items you pay for like the kid's chef program or tye-dye shirts, but many of the activities are free. We enjoyed a zoo presentation with real animals from the Phoenix Zoo, different rated G movies every 2 hours in the ballroom on Saturday and Sunday, scavenger hunts, a video game truck came one day, they had a huge inflatable water slide for the weekend, kids bingo, hula hoop contest, limbo, relay races, and water balloon fun. They even give the kids little prizes like Otter Pops or pool toys. Between activities, we spent a lot of time at the pool. It was the perfect depth for my kids. They have a lazy river which was nice and a mild water slide for the kids (you have to be 42" which my son was not, much to his disappointment). We came to this hotel to relax and have fun at the pool and that is exactly what the Westin provided for us.

Housekeeping and customer service overall were up to par with what I would expect from a Westin. I have absolutely no complaints about my stay. i even ended up falling on the stairs one night (my fault) and security promptly delivered ice packs to my room twice. We are Starwood Gold members so we were upgraded to a beautiful golf course view room and given a complimentary tote which came in handy when going to the pool.

This was our second summer visiting Arizona and we love the scenery and weather for the pool. We decided to come back every year at about this time just to relax. I think next summer we will try the JW Marriott Desert Ridge, just to try it since we are Marriott Rewards members, but I'm sure we will be back at the Westin Kierland one day.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank jek134
Sacramento Valley
Reviewed June 21, 2009

March, 2009. I had the opportunity to spend fours nights at the Westin Kierland Resort in Scottsdale, for Talent Summit held at this property. This was my fourth trip to Scottsdale, staying previously at the Hilton Resort and Tempe Residence Inn. I used Value Shuttle from the Sky Harbor Airport. I purchased an online roundtrip ticket online. I never had a pick up return, even though I had purchased a roundtrip ticket and after multiple calls, the vendor telling me a van was on the way. Since my flight out was coming up I ended up splitting a limo ride with another conference attendee. I can not recommend this vendor and it is my worst shuttle experience in many years! The check in was smooth at this destination resort.
Check-in was very fast and I received a King room as guaranteed. This is a large resort which hosts many conferences.
My room, was very comfortable and nicely decorated. The bed was ultra comfortable and had quality bedding/ Both feather and foam pillows were available. Lighting in the room was very good with lamps on both sides of the bed, on the desk, and a floor lamp. The work desk was large and the office-style chair functional and comfortable. My had a comfortable arm chair. Furniture was a bit worn.

The TV was had a lot of cable channels as well as a wide selection of pay-per-view movies.

The bathroom was clean. Lighting was good, the towels were plentiful, and the shower worked well – immediate hot water with plenty of pressure. Bath amenities include shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and mouthwash.

The hotel public areas were clean and well-kept, but could use an updating to the style of the rooms.
The hotel is a resort has a swimming pools and hydrotherapy spa. All of the exercise equipment seemed nearly new. There is also a sauna and steam room accessible from the pool area.

There are several onsite restaurants and a group of us had tasty full course meal at the informal restaurant Nellie Cashmans and also had light meal after golf at the Bridlebush Grill. Both eateries had tasty food. Food was expensive on site. The most experience bottle of water in the country. About $3.95 on the golf course!! Many of the other summit attendees told me they stayed at nearby less expensive properties. This was one of the most expensive properties I've stayed at this year. So I don't believe this was a value property. If I were to attend this talent summit in the future, I'd stay at the nearby Hampton Inn or Residence Inn in order to save $$$ in this tight economy. I did rent a car onsite with the Hertz agency and we went for drives to downtown Phoenix, Old Town Scottsdale and the Pheonician Resort. If you have the money to spend and want to stay onsite during most of your stay, then you might like this resort property. It is a very nice property but it not a value property.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank SeminarTrekker
charlotte
Reviewed June 7, 2009

We statyed 3 nights at Westin. We loved our stay. The staffs were very nice except the woman at the conceirge desk. They truely care about the guests. We had a great experience at the restaurant. We had a great breakfast daily. Their pastries are so goooood!! You have to try them. Housekeeping was very poor and very slow. They came into our room without knocking the door. The maids were rude. Except housekeeping clues, they are really great. Pool and gym were good. Great for family

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family