“Nice place to stay in Scottsdale” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice place to stay in Scottsdale”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

We stayed here one night in July 2014 having flown in to Phoenix en route to visit the Grand Canyon. The Hotel and Resort is new and clean and very spacious. We had a family room for couple and 2 children which was a good size. Had an excellent evening meal outside with some live music. Unusually for the USA, we also had breakfast included which was excellent. The staff were friendly. Scottsdale itself is a nice area with upmarket shopping nearby. The only downside of hotel is lack of free Wifi - you can purchase at daily rate which is expensive. We did not have enough time to explore the swimming pool or golf course facilities.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WestinKierland, Manager at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear Kevin,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us to start off your Arizona vacation. We really appreciate it and hope you enjoyed your time at The Grand Canyon. It is spectacular isn't it. We are so fortunate to be located just a few hours away from one of the most beautiful areas of the world! It sounds like you had a nice relaxing evening in Dreamweaver's Canyon and enjoyed our live music on weekends. Internet is included with the Resort fee so we apologize if this was not properly communicated to you at check in. Thanks again for taking the time to provide some feedback and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Front Office Team
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Korean first
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

Attended and Stayed at the Kierland Westin for a week, for a Business function. Overall was very impressed with the facilities and staff, everyone was very helpful and friendly. The amenities at the facility were top of the line, i had a top floor room overlooking the golf course which was very beautiful especially in the morning after the sun came up. Didn't get the chance to use the pool
or other activities due to the business conference, but they seemed to be full with guests. The only knock i would have was the food that was served for the lunches and dinners, there were 350 of us attending the function, which of course would contribute, but was not impressed with the quality of food for the large functions. The food at the restaurants was good, but didn't translate over to large parties. Overall i would recommend the hotel for a family visit or if wanting to stay locally for an extended period of time.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the golf course on the upper (10 or 11th floor)
Green Features: The are Eco friendly and will give a points and/or small voucher credit if you do not get daily maid service.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
Dear Rod,
Thank you for some time to review your recent stay for business. We trust it was a successful conference for all. It sounds like you had one of our deluxe rooms overlooking the golf course and mountains providing a spectacular backdrop. It is nice to have a chance to relax on your patio with a cup of coffee watching the sun rise. We are sorry to hear that were not impressed with the quality of food at your conference. Our entire banquet team prides themselves on providing exceptional options regardless of the number of guests and we welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please feel free to reach out to us at tripadvisor@kierlandresort.com and we will personally follow up with you.

Banquet Team
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Rooms were large, clean and well
maintained. Pool was large enough that there was space games and restful floating. The lazy river is long and interesting. Choice of food isn't bad either.

All the staff we met were helpful. The shuttle bus to wherever you want to go on Kirkland is a fantastic idea.

All in all one of the best hotels on our holiday.

Stayed August 2014
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and share about your recent stay at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa. We are delighted to hear that you had a great experience and hope that you enjoyed a perfect balance of FUN and relaxation during your time with us.

Please let us know if you plan a return visit to Arizona. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back as our guests.

Communications Team
Phoenix, AZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stayed at the Westin back in early June, and I have been meaning to write a review for a while now, but have been very busy.
Our visit to the Westin was 2 adults and 7 girls. It was a Girl Scout end of year celebration that the girls sold cookies to earn money and decided to use their money for a night at a nice place and the water park. They were so excited!

The reservations over the phone were handled by my co-leader and she had a great experience. They booked us into a Casita, Rooms 1513 and 1514. There was a king size bed in one bedroom and 2 queens/full in the second bedroom. The main room had a couch that pulled out into a sofa bed so there was adequate sleeping area for all the girls.

We paid a hefty price for one night at this hotel, but the girls thought it was reasonable since we got to spend the day at the waterpark, so this is why we chose the Westin to begin with. When we got there, our experience wasn't quite what we expected. On the outside, it sure looks worthy of a nice hotel. Pretty landscaping and decorations but that is about it in my opinion.

Specifically during our stay, small little touches were not addressed. First of all, we came with snacks/breakfast items and drinks for our group to eat during our stay and had been informed there was a refrigerator in our small kitchen. When we arrived, our refrigerator was not turned on and it was very warm inside it. We immediately turned it on and put our cold items into it. The fridge took forever to cool down. I even had some lukewarm apple juice the following morning. Not a good thing considering we brought yogurts.
Another item we were very unhappy with was the knock on our doors at 8:00ish. Not expecting anyone, we were hesitant to answer it in the early morning as the girls were still in bed from a late night. Then I heard the door being unlocked and a maid started to make her way in. I stopped her and asked her what she needed. She wanted to find out what time we had planned on checking out????? I was very nice and told her that it was at check out time at 11am, since we had only planned on one night of stay. We were very concerned that the maid just helped herself in and WHY would you bother a customer so early in the morning to find out when they are checking out when we are only a one night reservation? Mind you, this was a mid week rental and I didn't see the urgency we had to get out. We did approach this topic with the front desk and the lady apologized and said this should never have occured and that she would speak to the maid.

A couple other touches that were not there: wifi service at our casita was pretty much non existant, no linens on the pull out bed, no extra pillows in the room, no extra towels. We did tell reservations the numbers of people in the room and it would have been nice for them to prepare for us in advance.

The most horrible thing then happened during our day of play at the pool/waterpark area. It was about 11am and we were by the pool enjoying our morning. Then we witnessed a young girl cut her foot on the bottom of the large pool and watched her climb out via the stairs. When she went out the stairs, she had a LARGE amount of blood that she left behind and it was actually dripping back into the pool. Since this girl was young, approx 12 or so, she looked scared and didn't know what to do. She stood there a minute and then proceeded to walk over to the entrance to the lazy river. By this time, we were flagging down a lady across the lazy river whom seemed to know this girl. The woman came to her and had her put her feet into the water of the lazy river. It was still quite bleeding so we told the lady to get the lifeguard (who was a few feet behind her sitting in her chair). The lifeguard had NO clue this had happened to begin with and when she was flagged down, proceeded with no urgency over to the little girl. We did not see her call for backup for her post which we thought was unnerving. Then, this lifeguard did the unthinkable by splashing water on the little girls' wound and splashed the water in the lazy river. The lifeguard was not wearing gloves at this time and we were absolutely disgusted by the blood being put into this lazy river. There was a large amount of blood. My girls were coming around the lazy river at this time and saw the little girl with the bloody foot and you should have seen their faces! They couldn't get out of that river fast enough. This was a huge turn off to all of us and the girls were so disgusted that the wouldn't go near the water again. They sat with us and we watched as someone else finally showed up to help that lifeguard and then another lady showed up whom seemed to be in charge. It was at this point where the lifeguard finally decided to put on some gloves but she then later proceeded to clean her gloves in the lazy river's water. My troop sat horrified at this whole thing. We saw a few guests notice as well, but the day we were there was mid week and there weren't alot of people by the pool at this particular time. No one else seemed to care or speak up but my kids were so upset, I found the pool manager and spoke with her. Once she heard what had happened and how careless the lifeguard was, she took the right steps to correct this situation. I do not know her name, but I applaud her for doing the right thing. She took it upon herself to agree that this was not sanitary and she had the pool and lazy river shut down so they can superchlorinate it.

I appreciate the lady taking those steps finally but we were appalled by the lack of "first aid" skills the lifeguard had. Both my co leader and I have had first aid since it is required by Girl Scouts and we know how to handle situations and this was not at all handled appropriately by that lifeguard. I did make a complaint about the lifeguard that day.

We ended up leaving immediately after they shut the pool and went home. I called the Westin the very next morning and went through this whole story with the lady who answered the phone. I left my information so that someone could get back to me and I never heard back. After such a horrible experience, I expected someone from upper management to get in touch with us, but we got nothing. I expected much more from an upper class hotel like Westin.

This hotel certainly lost my business going forward from the lack of customer service, to the lack of qualified employees, to the lack of care for your customers. We will not be back and I hope you all take good watch over your children while you are by the pool as the lifeguards there do not seem to know how to protect a life.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Stacy H
WestinKierland, Resort Manager at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

The safety and security of our guests is our highest priority. I would like to apologize for the situation you experienced and that we failed to follow up with you. We have reviewed and modified our first-aid training and tools to ensure that our guests receive the best care possible. I would welcome the opportunity to personally discuss the matter with you. Please send your contact information to feedback@kierlandresort.com so that I may reach out to you directly.

Brian Montalbano
Resort Manager
Van Nuys
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

It's a Westin in a beautiful area of Scottsdale. Centrally located. The staff was friendly and helpful and the food excellent in the restaurants. My room was spacious with a nice desert view. Recommended.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Jeff,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share details about your recent stay. We value receiving feedback from our guests and truly appreciate your positive remarks and five-star recommendation.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us and will be sure to share your compliments with our team. Our associates are passionate about providing memorable experiences for our guests and will be happy to learn they had a positive impact on your stay.

Please let us know if you plan a return visit. We would love to see you again!

Communications Team
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

This hotel is amazing. From when you get there to when you leave. Their room service is delivered quickly and picked up as soon as you call to let them know you done. The pop up sweet shoppe in the lobby each night is steller. Oh and the beds are amazing, almost was willing to miss the conference i was done for because i didn't want to leave the bed. Best of all is the lazy river! and on Fridays and saturdays during the peak season there is a wade up bar! Everything about my stay was top notch! And again thank you to the valets for weighing my luggage before i got the airport... i was just under!

Green Features: AMAZING! Who gives out a $5 food or drink voucher just for putting a sign on your door that basically says dont clean my room today! i have a free lunch thank to this!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for providing great feedback about your recent stay. Comments such as these not only assist us but your fellow travelers on TripAdvisor who are looking to plan a future stay. It sounds like you had a wonderful stay and we are so happy to hear that you had great experiences with so many different departments. We hope you enjoyed your time in the lazy river and enjoyed the convenience of refreshing your drink without leaving your tube! We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Resort in the future and if there is ever anything we can do to help you plan the perfect Kierland getaway, please do not hesitate at all to contact us at tripadvisor@kierlandresort.com.

Operations Team
Mt. Vernon, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

I recently stayed here for a conference.
The staff was terrific, very nice, very helpful. The foyer is beautiful and always just smells terrific!
Check in was VERY quick for a chain hotel, I mean less than 5 minutes AND they had instructions on my early morning conference session. What a great attention to detail.

The one bad thing here...I don't think I could have gotten a room physically farther away from the elevator. That was a VERY long walk. The guest rooms can be a seriously long haul away from the elevators. Not a deal breaker, just be aware.

The room was great. Nice, comfortable bed, small fridge, nice bathroom and decent internet.

Lots of dining options on site and across at Kierland Commons.

Pools are awesome and not terribly crowded!!

Parking kind of sucks. Valet is VERY expensive BUT they do have free self parking. Too bad the lot is a little bit of a walk and it was 116 degrees out and had poor timing so I didn't catch one of the many shuttles they run out to the parking lots.

This place is gorgeous and I hope I am able to visit again!!

Room Tip: Get one closer to the elevators. The outlying rooms are quite a haul!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank nautwerks
Dear Guest,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay and submitting some valuable feedback that assists us in our ongoing effort to provide the best customer service experience for each and every guest. It sounds like you had a successful conference and we are delighted that you enjoyed all of the Heavenly bath and bed products in the room. Hopefully you had a chance to explore the Resort a little bit and relax with a trip or two down the lazy river or check out the Kierland FlowRider despite being here for work. We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to the area, when on vacation of course!

Operations Team