“Unbeatable”

Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
alabama
“Unbeatable”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This was our second stay at this property for a conference. Seems as if it just keeps getting better. Rooms are great, food is excellent and the staff comes together as a well trained and caring group of folks. As you might expect, a resort in the Scottsdale area must be above the best to survive and this one does more than survive......they thrive! The grounds and golf course are an attraction by themselves. The spa is great and the late afternoon bagpiper is unique.

Room Tip: request a room overlooking the golf course
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

First and foremost, thank you for being a repeat guest of The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa. We know there are many excellent resorts around the valley and we are honored that you elected to stay with us on multiple occasions.

We are delighted that you had a great experienced and are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed many of our Resort’s amenities including our golf course, spa and our signature Scottish Bagpipes at Sunset series.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate the positive remarks and hope to see you again.

The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
  • Korean first
Reviewed March 31, 2014

If you don't want to stay in a lower scale hotel or motel then you should consider this hotel as an option. The lobby is one of the coolest lobbies I have ever seen. They have very well trained employees. They are all very helpful, kind, and friendly. They prices are one of the cons of this hotel, it is very pricy but is still a great hotel.
The location couldn't be better. You are right next to a bunch of golf coerces including one that is within walking distance. They will drive you up their and then you are set. You get a little discount for staying at the hotel but it is still expensive. I think you could find a higher quality course for the same price. But the location of the course is awesome.
The pool is quite small and tastes like sunscreen and is crowded but is fun. They have a surfing doo hickey called the Keirland flow rider which is very fun and you won't find that in any other resort in the area.I think I would recommend it to families that have money to spare and are looking for a good resort.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on any floor above the first floor for noise purposes. Also if you wan't more...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent visit to The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa. We love receiving feedback from our guests and appreciate that you took the time to share details about your stay. We are delighted to hear that you had the opportunity to experience the Kierland FlowRider and hope that you were able to snap a few pictures to share the memory with your friends and family!

We hope to see you again.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Our family has stayed at the Westin Kierland resort 3 years in a row, once in Casitas, twice in main hotel. Simply put, it's location and onsite options make for an entertaining time for all.

- The main pool is fun; lazy river, slide and new Flowrider surf simulator are great for adults and kids. March can get crowded, typical jockeying for seats can occur. nice touch with the sand area, we've outgrown it but was nice when kids were into sandcastles. Good food/drink service by pool. Expensive, but convenient. Never rented a cabana.
- We golfed twice this year, using the twilight special where kids go free. Managed a full 18 holes on the second day. Course is beautiful, well taken care of, with great staff.
- The club room is a nice touch, Platinum SPG perk worth it here... otherwise breakfasts can add up quickly for families.
- The nightly scotch tasting was nice, the stewards knew their selections well
- Nightly bagpipes is a nice touch, and kids like s'mores of course. Lots of kids running around at sunset, and enjoying the 9th green.
- Speaking of kids, liked the scavenger hunts for stamps and pins. Found a couple areas of the resort we didn't know existed. We didn't use the kids club, or pajama party option (though threatened to many times).
- Liked the recreation area next to pool - ping pong, chess, basketball, foosball.. and sponsored activities.
- Onsite parking is easy.
- Rooms are nice. Nothing over the top, a fully functional room, separate shower and tub, small fridge for personal use and small balcony. Great bedding of course, heavenly bed collection has made a name for itself.
- Service was great, from bell hops, to front desk to concierge to maids (especially the maids)
- Kierland can be busy... the conference part of the resort seemed to be in full swing. Guessing many double up and bring families while on business.
- One can walk to Kierland Commons/Quarters for shopping and dining, or request the Westin shuttle. Great options to mix things up a little. This alone puts the Westin above the Hyatt and Marriott if comparing N Scottsdale options.
- Wife enjoyed spa, a massage mid-week worked well
- Hotel gym (next to spa) is better than most, can accomplish or simulate most exercises. I used it 4 times, waiting til after 9am to avoid the rush.
- Of note, a westin time-share property is next door at the villas. Tours are available, offered with your 'welcome package'. Easy enough to opt out, though if you participate, they are well trained... pleasant of course, but for the uneducated it can be daunting.
- Great grounds, well kept. Massive open air lobby, bar, library feeding into back courtyard... pleasant place to stay.

We'll be back. We love N Scottsdale and Kierland is a decent resort for family w young kids.

2 Thank Z68
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed recap of your stay. We really appreciate your loyalty with us and glad it has become an annual ritual for your family to spend Spring Break at The Westin Kierland. It sounds like you had a wonderful time exploring all of our Resort amenities from the new Scotch Library to our Bagpipes at Sunset Series and the Kierland FlowRider. We look forward to welcoming your family back the next time your travels take you to The Valley of the Sun and if there is ever anything we can do to assist you please reach out to us directly at info@kierlandresort.com.

cincinnati, ohio
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We just completed a 4 night stay and were so disappointed with the experience. We stayed as part of a conference and had two rooms with our two older children, (twenties). I have never rated a hotel as low as this and we would never stay again. Below are the pros/cons:

Pros: Pretty location, comfortable beds, very quiet rooms, close to many eating options and shopping. The staff at the pool was absolutely wonderful! Very attentive and pleasant. The lounges were comfortable.

Cons:
- Hotel is very spread out. Our room was the absolute farthest room from the lobby and it was at least a 10-15 minute walk. There are few elevators and navigating around the building was a confusing/time consuming challenge. You are literally going through a maze of hotel room halls. If you were older or disabled in any way you need to make sure you understand the location of your room before booking if possible or this would definitely not work for you. Our keys on several ocassions stopped working and after repeated calls, waited over 20 minutes for security to come and let me back in the room. They use segway's if that gives you a clue regarding how spread out this hotel is.
- Concierge service was weak. They push the restaurants in the hotel and in the mall next door. Couldn't get an evening dining recommendation beyond this - not sure if they are lazy or just not knowledgable about anything beyond 1 mile of the resort. For reservations, I tried to reach them at 8:00 AM and went into voice mail. I left a message - they didn't return my call until 2:30 PM and stated they just got the message and due to the noise in their lobby they couldn't hear it so could I please call back! This was for reservations that evening. When I called them they said the restaurant we were interested in wasn't answering the phone. I then decided to do it myself and got them on the first try. We only found one of the concierge's that were service oriented and helpful.
- Cleaning service: This was the worst I have seen in this type of hotel. It was an extremely basic cleaning on a daily basis. For example, robe was left thrown over a chair / bed ... not hung up. The daily service was haphazard which included sloppy bed making and changing towels. No night time turndown service. Topping this off there is a card in your room that says if you forego cleaning ... they will give you a resort credit for $5 / day. Are you kidding me?? Would you even expect to be asked if you wanted your room cleaned at a $325/night hotel ... really? I was astounded. This along with the overall atmosphere is what put the Westin in the Holiday Inn category. No offense to Holiday Inn.
- Television remote was impossible to use. It was so slow that we ended up watching things on our IPADS as it was too frustrating.
- Pools were Very Cold.
- Only one robe/room .... again, expectation would be two!

These were the majors. Overall summary: Low service resort geared toward young families that either want to put their children in day programs and or like the waterpark atmosphere.

Room Tip: Distance from lobby/ pool/ restaurants could be an issue.
1 Thank cincymom5
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed March 30, 2014

As a Canadian who has to endure extremely long winters, we generally look to go places that we are guaranteed comfortable surroundings, good service, good weather, great golf, nightlife, good shopping and a relaxing stay. The Westin Kierland Resort will not disappoint. If they could control the weather, I am sure they would do that too. A buddy and I who work extremely long hours, just wanted to get a way for 3 days of golf, relaxation and some entertainment. We found it all that this resort. From the open courtyard complete overlooking the 18th green of the golf course, complete with full menu and bar service and a fire pit to sit around and chat with fellow guests, we were extremely pleased with service, selection and ambiance. The golf course is somewhat forgiving allowing for increase speed of play and particularly enjoyable for a couple Canadians who haven't picked up a club in 6 months. We are already planning to return next year.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony overlooking the golf course is an added bonus for pre-dinner libations.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa. We value receiving guest feedback and appreciate your positive review and recommendation.

We are happy to hear that you had a great experience soaking up the warm, Arizona sun. It sounds as though you took full advantage of many of our signature amenities and we are thrilled that you enjoyed each one. We hope that you left our Resort feeling relaxed and renewed and that many lasting memories were made.

Please let us know when you plan your return visit. We cannot wait to see you again!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed here recently for a meeting, and really had a wonderful experience until it was time to check out, which was so poor I'd think twice before staying here again.

Upon arrival, I joined a colleague who'd arrived the night before in the room she was already checked into. I had a good salad at the restaurant downstairs, which they made quickly for me before I had to get to meeting. The service was great - when I asked what method I should use to pay my bill, I was told "You're at a Westin. You can do whatever you want." (if only she worked at the front desk!)

The meeting facilities were close to the rooms, and the property itself is well designed. There are fire pits at night, and there is a relaxed, vacation vibe any time of the day. We enjoyed the tennis courts, pool, ample outdoor seating options for quiet time and the lazy river. The meeting food was good but I only ate the one meal in a restaurant.

Any interaction with the front desk was a service less than any hotel should strive for, much less a Westin. It seems that check-in was too short - she never told me we had resort fees and in-room wifi included with our conference (that's information I WANT), and she didn't help me set up the appropriate arrangements so that our room would be easily split at checkout. At that point, we were told the difficulties splitting the bill were our fault for not making two reservations (for the same room??) rather than just saying we were sharing the room and "adding my name". It's my belief that someone on their end should have helped us with that technicality. The way the bill was set up, I would never have been reimbursed by my institution for my travel - a fact of critical importance to any business traveller - and the manager told us he was going to have to "legally alter" the bill to reflect that, seemingly asking us to be in on this little secret with him. What?? It's mystifying to me how I've done similar things at many hotels in other locations without any drama, but here our questions at booking/check-in were rebuked and then we were accused of asking them to perpetrate fraud. The first manager we talked to had disappeared by the time we were told to stop by again, and that manager seemed to not understand what we'd asked for.

Later, when I called Starwood Preferred Guest to work on splitting our points for the stay, she told me that the way to prevent these problems was to talk to a manager, and some individual hotels have the right to decline to split points between two guests. Well, I talked to two managers here and still had a problem - as a gold preferred Starwood member, I have other choices. No need to put myself through these hassles again.

Small but good points:
* Parking is free and ample
* Very close to a mall with good-quality shopping and restaurants
* We were on the club level (not sure how since that wasn't discussed at check-in) - nice lounge with bottles of water/snacks/coffee
* Running route cards available at front desk

Other less then great things:
* Reserving a tennis court required 4-5 phone calls (are they not open on Sunday?!)
* Often our room wasn't cleaned until 2-3p in the afternoon even though we left by 7:30a for the meeting

Room Tip: Ask for a golf-course facing room, but no matter what, the higher the better
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are extremely sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at our Resort. It is our goal to provide exceptional, five-diamond service to our guests and it is evident after reading your review, that we missed the mark in several areas. We truly appreciate your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program and apologize that we did not deliver the high-level service that you have come to appreciate as a valued SPG member.

We take guest satisfaction seriously and would love the opportunity to speak with you personally in regards to your stay. Please send your contact information to feedback@kierlandresort.com so that we can have a member of our management team reach out to you directly.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed March 29, 2014

The Kierland is a conference hotel masquerading as a resort. The staff is poorly trained and other than front desk and concierge desk personnel, the service is uneven at best. I admit I got off to a bad start on the most recent visit when they did not honor a rack rate reservation and gave me a standard room when I booked a deluxe. They didn't offer to adjust the rate when they informed me they had no deluxe room for me, despite there being a difference in price, making me ask for an adjustment. Stay away from low floors or rooms facing the pool - very noisy. When a breakfast venue can't make an over easy egg and service staff can't refill coffee or water or make certain table has silverware or basic condiments (multiple days in a row), an overpriced breakfast becomes especially offensive. Best advice, eat off property very meal. Pool attendants are not helpful, but tipped pool servers are good though hard to find. Overall, this is not what I would expect from a resort at property at the prices they get. Next Scottsdale visit will be staying elsewhere...

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Victor,

Thank you for sharing details about your recent visit to The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa. We truly value guest feedback and appreciate that you took the time to provide us with yours.

We are sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with your stay. We are committed to providing a high level of customer service to all of our guests, whether business or pleasure, and we regret to learn that this was not your experience.

We would love the opportunity to follow up with you regarding the feedback you have provided. Please send your contact information to feedback@kierlandresort.com so that we can have a member of our management team reach out to you directly. We hope that we might have an opportunity to make this experience up to you so that you have no reservations to stay with us again in the future.