$118
  • Pool
La Quinta Inn & Suites Phoenix Scottsdale(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
$109
$187
$169
$177
$163
The Scott Resort & Spa(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
$189
3 Palms Hotel(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
$77
$72
Travelocity
$563
$539
  • Restaurant
The Scottsdale Resort at McCormick Ranch(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
$204
$159
$359
$339
Hyatt.com
2,599 results
All reviewslazy rivergolf coursedessert bardeseo restaurantadult poolflow rideradventure poolfire pitheavenly bedbagpipe playeroutdoor mallkierland resortlight showfamily poolpool areascottsdale quarterevery evening
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Just got back a couple days ago from a short trip to Scottsdale. Ahhhhhh. Perfect weather for a 4-day break. The kind of weather that you dream about for months, before getting on that plane. Needless to say, the last thing that you want to have is a disappointing trip. Well, this trip did not disappoint!

Having been to the Scottsdale/Phoenix area many, many times before, we don't need a map, or even bother to plan where to go or what to do. However, we do want to stay somewhere that is nice. Preferably: real nice. And that pretty much describes the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa.

On other trips to Scottsdale, we never stayed here before, although we always seem to spend a good amount of time in the Kierland area. So, "why not?" we asked ourselves. "Let's give the Westin Kierland a try, and not have to waste valuable time - during a short trip - driving over to the surrounding shops and restaurants."

The positives: There are many. The beauty of the property and landscaping. The first-class service and restaurants. The golf course. The well-maintained pools and pool-side service. Nice, comfortable and clean rooms. (Ours was a deluxe, with a golf course view.) The close proximity to off-property shops and restaurants; walking distance. And on and on . . .

The less-than-positives: if walking is not "your thing," get ready - this place is spread out. Although our room was great, it took a good 8 minutes to walk to our room from the parking lot. True, the room was WAY OVER on one end of the building with a nice exterior view, BUT there was no short cut. And we timed the walk, at a brisk pace. If we took our time or couldn't find a close-in parking spot, it would have been a 10-12 minute walk. My point here: if you have a disability or just don't like walking - you need a room close to an elevator, or right off the lobby.

Yes, this place does a very good conference business. If this type of traffic bothers you, you may be bothered! We didn't care. The hustle and bustle adds to the ambiance and provides a nice evening buzz.

The only other real "negative" was the occasional spoiled brat. It really is amazing how some parents can't control their children. We, unfortunately, came across a couple fine products of "progressive child care." Not cute.

A couple more comments and "funny" happenings:

* The Breakfast Buffet Story: first of all, the Breakfast Buffet is exceptional; as a matter of fact, it is one of the very best that you may ever have.

Last Friday morning, we went down to the Buffet and asked for a table outside. Very nice. After going to get our food, we got back to the table and a couple minutes later the sound began: that loud HORN - HORN - HORN -HORN that you hear, when one of those huge earth mover trucks is backing up. After a couple minutes, I said to my wife - and to the couple sitting at a nearby table: "Well, at night they have the bagpiper. In the morning they have the construction horn!" Ha, ha. 3 or 4 minutes later, I said: "This is getting irritating. Let's go back inside and get some fruit." Well, we got up and went back to the Buffet and . . . so did the horn. The sound was coming from my pocket! The day before, I set my iPhone alarm on the obnoxious sound to make sure that we would have plenty of time to drive to the airport! And I forgot to turn off the alarm. HOW FUNNY!! Everybody around had a good laugh. The next morning, one of the waiters told me that it was the funniest thing that happened there in 10 years! And it's something that we'll always remember.

* La Cucaracha Story - ***WARNING*** Some of you are not going to like this: Our last night was on Sunday. About 9pm, I was brushing my teeth and heard a weird sound coming from the sink. I looked down and saw tentacles coming out of the drain. Then, slowly, the cockroach made its way out. I called out to Amy, my wife: "Come here! You gotta see this!" (I suppose that I didn't have to call Amy. But I wanted a witness.) She came in just in time to see what was - I swear! - a 2-inch cockroach. "GET RID OF IT!!!" she screamed. With a couple tissues and a quick flush in the toilet, the cockroach was gone.

This late-night bathroom excitement might have ruined a great 4 days for some of you. But now I can scratch-off (pun intended) seeing a giant cockroach crawl out of a sink drain from my bucket list. Hey, it is the desert, and things happen. That cockroach had to be an Olympian; it made it up 4-stories. Congratulations and R.I.P to La Cucaracha.

FINALLY . . . special thanks to some Westin Kierland stand-out performers:

* To Margie, from housekeeping: You are so special, and did such a great job, Margie. Thank you very much.

* To Meril, our waiter for a couple days at the Buffet: It was a pleasure, Meril. Outstanding service and conversation. Keep up the good work, and take care of those pavers!

* And to Mark, the Senior Food and Beverage Manager: Class service, Mark. Thanks for starting our mornings off with a smile and making sure that everything was perfect. It was.

The Westin Kierland: Gets 5-Stars - and one cockroach - from us.

Room Tip: Bring your walking shoes!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay and we are delighted that you and your wife were able to relax and have a delightful time. Now you have a hilarious story about the alarm to share from your trip to Scottsdale as well! We appreciate you deciding to give us a try and glad you were not disappointed. April is such a great time to come and the weather as you mentioned is perfect. Just cool enough at night to sit by the fire pits and unwind with a cocktail while listening to the bagpiper. Each of our associates strives to exceed expectations for every guest they encounter and we really appreciate you taking the time to mention a few that went above and beyond for you and your wife. We will make sure Margie, Meril and Mark know how appreciative you are! Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and we hope to have the pleasure of hosting you and your wife again. If there is ever anything we can assist you with, please reach out to us at tripadvisor@kierlandresort.com.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 12 day stay at the Westin Kierlands. It is a beautiful resort set in northern Scottsdale and right across the street from Kierlands Commons, one of the more upscale shopping and dining areas around.
The resort is wonderful with a huge outdoor back patio which opens onto the 18th green of the golf course and contains a very large open fire pit for cooler evening warmth. The pool area is very large also with many private cabanas and a wonderful ride called the 'Flowrider' for surfing-like recreation and a slow moving 'lazy river' for relaxing in the water. We stayed in a casita which are between the pool and golf course, separate from the hotel.
The food is good although there other better places to dine especially in Kierlands Commons.
They do cater to large group conventions but still find the time to cater to families also.

Room Tip: We like the 'casitas', a large unit with a separate bedroom and smaller living room and small useable kitchen.

Dear Mark,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay and it sure sounds like you and your wife had a delightful stay in one of our casitas. We are glad you were able to take advantage of so many wonderful resort amenities during your 12-day stay, especially the FlowRider! We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you and your wife again and is there is ever anything we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at tripadvisor@kierlandresort.com.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have just spent six nights at the Westin Keirland. We travelled from the UK to spend some time there playing golf. We were not disappointed with the golf course. The hotel is huge and caters for many conventions. The food we had there was good. Although we were leaving our room usually at 6.30am each morning, it was never cleaned by the time we came back which was any time between 13.00 hrs and 17.00hrs. When we complained they said the cleaners worked until 16.00 hrs. They also asked if we had requested it be cleaned early. It is not satisfactory to come back to a room which has not been cleaned and we have never experienced it before. I spoke to a man who was on the same floor (he was there with a convention) and he said he had no problem with his room.
The hotel is in a super location with the beautiful Scottsdale Quarter just across the road. It was quite a change to be able to walk to the shops and restaurants.
I would stay in Scottsdale in that vicinity again and play the course again but will not stay at this particular hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was on the third floor, overlooking the courtyard where most of the open air entertaining was taking place. It was very noisy. When we mentioned it at the end of our stay they said we should have asked for another room. N
2  Thank babyboomerSurrey

Dear Guest,
First of all, thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We really appreciate the feedback. We certainly understand your frustration with your room not being serviced while you were our guest and can assure you our housekeeping team works diligently throughout the day to ensure each guest room receives personal attention. Rooms are serviced by 4 pm for arriving guests but our housekeeping associates work throughout the day. If you wouldn’t mind, please email us your reservation details to tripadvisor@kierlandresort.com so a housekeeping manager can look into what happened and follow up with you. Sounds like you had a delightful time playing golf while you were here and hopefully you will give us another chance to show you just how wonderful a vacation at The Westin Kierland can be.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is a beautiful facility, and the grounds, fire pits and sitting areas are wonderful. There are a couple of areas where we felt, as owners, we could have been treated a bit better and/or the overall service could have been better. While our comments may seem somewhat "picky", when you pay as much as we do for a timeshare propoerty, you expect certain service levels.

First, therew was a day where we came down to the recreation pool area to use the hot tub. The water was almost cold. We could not figure out why, but it was a real let down! A maintenance man happened to be walking by, and we asked him about it, and he indicated that he had changed the water the previous night, and had informed the front desk that it would take 8-12 hours for the water to warm up. Perhaps a sign by the hot tub to alert guests? We happened to be sitting by there, so WE had to inform all of the guests that came to use the hot tub about the water!

Secondly, the McDowell Marketplace is great, the service is lacking however. A personal observation is that the chicken ceaser salad for lunch was served in a bowl and mixed up perfectly, and it was delicious! When I went to order the same for dinner (and I admit, I did not check the menu), I was told that this was not available on the dinner menu, but i could have a wedge salad with the same ingredients, of course, for $2 more - although, this was not about the price.

When the salad was served, it was indeed, same ingredients, however, it was on a plate, and not mixed up - and therefore, not nearly as good as the original. The service representative kept the same blank stare when I asked about the salad, and made NO apologies or offered any alternatives, just stared at me and said that was all that was available. Again, this is about service to the owners, she could have at least given an apology and nicely indicated the menu was slightly different at dinner.

Another day,we went down to the pool at 9:00 and there were NO towels! We waited around for about 15 minutes, and then just went and layed on the lawn chairs until more towels were brought out - about 30 minutes later. Since this is a 24-hour pool, we assumed there would always be towels available.

On more positive notes - the Wine Tasting and Wine Dinner was AWESOME! Tony and the kitchen staff were so polite and engaging and helpful! THIS is the kind of service we expected through the entire trip.

We stayed at the Sheraton Desert Oasis on our last visit to Scottsdale in 2011, and my husband and I had discussions about which property we liked better. While Kierland Villas offered many amenties that we liked, we both agreed that the service level at the Desert Oasis was better overall. It is almost like Kierland Villas is TOO big, and the staff just gets overwhelmed.

Dear Jane,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent trip and for being a Starwood Vacation Owner. We take all guest communication very seriously and greatly appreciate receiving detailed comments such as yours so that management is aware, our staff is informed, and we may resolve any and all issues as soon as possible. If you wouldn’t mind, please send your reservation details to tripadvisor@kierlandresort.com so we can have a member of our management team at the Westin Kierland Villa’s look into your challenges and follow up. We sincerely apologize and understand the frustrations you encountered and hope you will give us another chance.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had to attend a work conference at the end of March that was being held at this resort, and coming from Western Australia I figured it would just be easier to stay here instead of somewhere else - and I'm so glad I did.

My wife and son really got to enjoy the swimming pool and the day spa, but in the evenings I was able to spend time at the resort restaurant which served delicious food, and on some of the other nights sit outside overlooking the golf course while sipping a cocktail or two.

There is a shopping mall and restaurants right across from the resort, but be mindful to book on weekends or you'll need to wait to get a table at any of them like we did.

The gift shop also sells lollipops which have scorpions (real) in them... try it!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve F
WestinKierland, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Guest,
We greatly appreciate your feedback and sharing your experience with others. I've never tried the Scorpion lollipops, but I'm going to now. Thanks for the recommendation. We're very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you'll come back and stay with us again soon.

Stephanie Dowling