“Business/Personal with a young child” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Alexandria, Virginia
“Business/Personal with a young child”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I recently stayed at this property while my husband had a meeting. I was intrigued being in the meeting planning arena as well to check it out. Definitely a gorgeous property and I love that children under 4 eat FREE! I was a bit disappointed though as the weather was a bit cool and so the pools were not enjoyable. The large kids one was closed the one day we had free and so we went to the adult one that was heated but it was very chilly in the shaded parts. I did love the bed and the room was comfy even with a crib for our little one. We used a babysitting service one evening for a function and that was fantastic. We used a company called a child's garden. Can't say enough about them and it was a first for us. It's a bit pricey for this hotel and not sure I would normally book unless there for a group or great deal online. Service was great for car service and location wonderful as could walk to the many shops and restaurants and their shuttle service phenomenal. Staff was great at check-in too!

Room Tip: we had a king room at the end of a hallway and it was nice walk!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Nicole,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and glad you and your child were able to take advantage of some of our amenities during your husband’s meeting. Feedback, both positive and negative, is such an important resource that we really appreciate it. Sorry it was a little cool during your stay and you were unable to take full advantage of the pools and water park. Please keep us in mind next time you are making vacation plans as our resort has so many great activities you and your family can take advantage of, including Kid’s Club!

The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Korean first
Sherwood Park, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I can honestly say that in the 100 or so hotels I've seen around the world, I've never come across one where I felt like a rat in a maze trying to get to my room.... until now! We must have been put in a room at the far end of the hotel (which is great if you want a quiet room) BUT it meant that getting to/from our room was like a 15 minute process from the car parking area. That was a bit frustrating. And like I mentioned, it was zig-zag-zig-zag-zig-zig-zig to get to the room.
It was a fairly expensive hotel and our son was sick during our stay so we didn't get to really use the resort amenities like we would have liked. the pool looked nice. We went to the gym and it was nice. I got my hair done at the salon and it was a pretty good cut and colour.
My hubby enjoyed the bagpipe players every evening.
The room was quiet.
I think the room service menu could use a BIG upgrade. They need more choices, better food. The kids menu is a real disappointment. $8 for kids mac and cheese which is Kraft mac and cheese.... really??? $8??? At an expensive and very large resort-hotel like this, I would expect a much much better room service menu. Our last night my husband went to the Waltz and Weiser saloon and ordered food there to take to our room. it was horrible! We took a half bite from each dish and threw everything out. We did not like the menu choices at Nellie cashmans for lunch/dinner as we don;t like sandwiches. We went to nellie cashmans for their buffet breakfasts and that was okay. So the dining choices at this hotel need some work i think.
Lots of conference people seem to use this hotel, so it appears to get very busy. I'm glad our room was in a quiet section.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay in February. We are so sorry to hear that your son was sick and you weren’t able to take full advantage of the resort. Hopefully, he is feeling better now. We are a large resort and unfortunately some of the rooms are a little far from the parking lot and elevators. Knowing about any challenges our guests encounter during the stay helps so that we can solve them as soon as possible. Your comments will be passed on to our food and beverage management team and we hope that you will have a chance to stay with us again.

Carmel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We took our kids and 6 grandkids here for a 5 day stint between Christmas and New Year's. I recommend it for a fun and reasonably carefree family vacation.

High points: A bit inconsistent but pretty high level of customer service throughout; the kid's club (if you go to the nice restaurant in house they comp up to two kids for kids's club!); nice pool areas and lazy river, including an adult's only pool; golf course adjacent; great breakfast buffet (but overpriced); good selection of in house restaurants; proximity to two nice shopping centers within walking distance; bagpiper at sunset.

Low points: Room location is really important here. We were put in "Siberia", which I quickly discovered was for families with kids, sports teams, large groups, etc. INSIST on a room in the main building. After 3 room changes, they finally put us in a nice room. Their "deluxe" room with golf course or mountain view is a joke. We paid for three rooms for our families in this category, and they all looked out on a wall. When I asked them why we didn't get the room category we'd reserved, their response was "these are deluxe rooms" -- they are just very liberal with the "golf course or mountain view" definition. Her response also was "you ought to see some of our other rooms; they're much worse views". Our kids all stayed in Siberia, which entailed long walks from the main hub of activity. With little ones, this was not easy. Other low points: Only one small hot tub in family area that was always jammed; pool area food service can be insanely slow when they are busy; terrible concierge service -- they mostly seemed bored and uninterested and the misinformation they gave was abominable; overpriced car service -- NOT a taxi -- that will gouge you ($20 to go three blocks!)

If you can get the right room, steer clear of the concierge, avoid the car service, and be okay with tons of kids jammed in the hot tub, this is really quite a nice property. We may go back again, but not entirely sure.

Room Tip: See note about insisting on a room in the main building with a view, and be assertive about changing...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Travelhabit
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Westen Kierland bills itself as a health-oriented spa, but its workout center is small - roughly the size of your average highway McDonalds', with 6-9 weight machines and a total of 10 or so treadmills/cycles/cross-trainers. All fine enough, but it was packed on a Saturday morning during off season, so I tremble to think what it might be like during peak times. It was also difficult to find, with none of the outdoor signs indicating where it was, although, curiously, signs inside the hotel did point in the correct direction. For the record, it's near the spa.

Otherwise the hotel was fine, if a bit vanilla. Room service/housekeeping might need additional staff, because there were a lot of dishes out in the hallway for long periods.

Room Tip: Watch out for the hotel cafe - my first experience with a $5 bagel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KayDenmark
Moorhead, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

This property is ok as Westins go. It is very business oriented and the golf course is a big part of this. Otherwise it is underwhelming. The level of courtesy at the valet parking station was unimpressive. The rooms are not particularly large nor are the bathrooms but adequate. There isn't a lot so wrong here but you won't feel ultra level of service or pampered. It is an ok business hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post some feedback from your recent stay. Underwhelming is not an adjective we hear often and your feedback has been shared with our management teams. All of our associates are trained to go the extra mile for each of our guests and provide a delightful and memorable experience. We hope that you will give us another chance and can come back to experience everything that the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa has to offer.

Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have been traveling to the Westin Kierland almost every week for a couple months (except when it's full). I highly recommend this hotel -- it's one of the better Westin properties I have stayed at and is especially good for business travelers for a couple reasons:

* Service -- I have had only positive experiences with the staff. From the third week I was there, they recognized me -- both at check-in and at the bar (maybe I should back off the wine!). They also took time to recognize my SPG Platinum status, which I realize is totally snobby, but hey -- everyone likes to feel special.

* Rooms -- Your standard Westin rooms, but the hotel has been renovated recently so everything looks brand new, and most rooms have a comfy little chair in the corner in addition to the desk.

* Common areas -- There is a cool fire pit out back to have a drink and catch up with colleagues / friends. There is also lots of indoor seating areas, and the bar is usually pretty full at night, which makes you feel less lame being there by yourself watching a game at the bar.

* Workout -- The workout facilities are excellent, and you usually have them to yourself. Tons of treadmills with the built-in TVs and cable TV. Several weight machines, with towels and cool washcloths provided. Though I haven't used it, my colleagues have also enjoyed having a pool. One thing they don't have is a 'locker room' or at least an accessible restroom from the workout area... that would be nice.

* Parking -- Self-park is available (vs. the W Scottsdale where you pay $27/night plus valet tip). It's probably a 100 meter walk but not a big deal.

* Location -- There are tons of restaurants within walking distance. I would recommend this option, as I have found Deseo (the on-property restaurant to be slow, underwhelming, and overpriced).

* Lounge for Platinum members -- The lounge is fully stocked during reasonable hours to grab a coffee, a diet coke, or some snacks. Breakfast is basic but everything I needed.

ONE COMPLAINT - Noise: I have had some issues with noise, either people having 'room parties' in rooms near me or being loud outside late at night. These usually coincided with big conferences, so I'm sympathetic but it's still annoying.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Casey_Taylor
Dear Casey,

Thank you very much for your recent post and we are glad you chose the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa for your weekly trips to Scottsdale. We are always delighted to hear from our regular guests. We understand how difficult it can be traveling each week and want to make you feel as much at home as possible when you are staying with us. Thank you for also being a valued SPG Platinum member. As a platinum member, you have access to our locker room facilities inside the spa which is located adjacent to the WestinWORKOUT room. Inside there, you will find spacious lockers, a whirl pool and showers among the many amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back and if there is anything at all we can do to make your stays more refreshing, please do not hesitate to let us know.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is a wonderful family accommodation facility, highly recommended with kids. Very attentive attentive staff.
I wanted to specifically commend the House Keeping Staff for being responsive to our call after leaving the resort, asking to locate our forgotten personal belongings in the Villa. They located the items, called us back , promised to send it Fed Ex and delivered. All well done with out most professionalism.
I wanted to thank Manuel Corral,Fanny Garcia, and Alan Appelgreen for making our stay end with a taste of more.

Room Tip: if Family of four or more - two bedroom villa
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family