“One of Best Westin Hotels”

The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Boca Raton, Florida
“One of Best Westin Hotels”
Reviewed April 10, 2008

I loved it for me and the kids. Free activities for the kids all day, every day. Then smores around the campfire at night. Pool scene is great, plus a lazy river. Golf course and tennis excellent. Location is super next door shopping and restaurants and ice cream and bookstore. Free parking. Friendly service by staff. Busy, large hotel. Only 5 years old. Looks great. Immaculate landscaping in and out of hotel. I have stayed at probably 20 Westins and this one is in the top 3.

Loved sitting at night around the gas fireplace on the cushioned benches with lake behind. Tranquil.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank PAQ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
  • Korean first
Canton, MI
Reviewed April 4, 2008

My husband, 13 yr old daughter, and I stayed here for 7 nts during Easter Break. Here are the pros & cons:

Pros:

1. Resort property was beautiful. The grounds were immaculate. There were numerous areas to sit and relax, and a welcoming environment that makes you want to. Location was also convenient to many areas. We didn't find it a problem to drive anywhere.

2. Rooms were very clean. We had no problems with check-in, even though we checked in around 11 pm. The front desk & the room service staff was excellent. There is always someone to greet you in the lobby and make sure things are running smoothly. Overall, I found that this particular Westin had better service than some of the others that I have stayed at.

3. Room service was also better than most places I've been to. It's actually quite tasty. We did have an incident with my daughter getting food poisoning with the mac & cheese (they used bad milk-by mistake). When I called to complain (after she had thrown up for the 3rd time), the manager and the room service staff was very hospitable. They not only apologizied profusely, but sent up whatever I had requested, and called the next day to make sure we were ok, and if we needed anything else.

4. I was very impressed with the amount of children's activities scheduled at this place. They really made an effort to make sure families had plenty of things to do here during Easter Break.

Cons:

1. I agree with the previous comments about the room walls being too thin. You could hear everything.

2. The concierge was ok. Their preprinted directions & info to places were great, but the actual staff was not very welcoming and some of the questions that I asked about certain attractions, they had never heard of (even though it was in Frommers, Fodors, etc). Their knowledge was very limited. I encountered the same problem at the Westin in Ft. Lauderdale. I knew more information from my own research than learning anything from them. In our opinion, concierges are there to provide knowledge & guidance to the local area with some enthusiasm and patience for the people coming there. The NY Times Square Westin & the Beverly Hilton did just that, but not here.

3. Deseo, in our opinion, was horrible. We went in without reservations and told them that if they can't accomodate us, it's ok. They told us that it's not a problem for them to accomodate us, and seated us within 15 min. We didn't have a single person come to us for at least 25 minutes, not even to greet us or ask us for our drinks. When I finally flagged someone down to ask for a waiter, they sent the manager after another 10 minutes. This is just to get our drinks, not even to order anything. We ordered our dinner with the manager, who was very unhelpful in our questions regarding the menu, and made us feel as if he had better things to do. We got our food after another 25 minutes, and had to hunt someone down again for our check. In all, we spent at least an 1 1/2 just waiting around & maybe 10 minutes of someone actually taking our order & our check. Service was horrible, and in our opinon, food was not all that great. We could not understand how it was rated so high. I don't recommend it to anyone. If they're are busy & understaffed, which they obviously were, they shouldn't have seated us. We gave them that option. There's better restaurants across the street.

In all, this is a very nice hotel. Just don't eat here.

• Liked — The property was beautiful!
  • Disliked — Deseo and the Conceirge
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank beach47
Texas
Reviewed April 1, 2008

Just returned from a 3 night stay at this beautiful resort. We were here for a course we were hosting. We had been planning it and our event coordinator had been in contact with the buisness department for months. Everything was flawless. The staff at the Westin was very helpful and most efficient. We had 50 doctors attending and they all said it was the best cousre they had attended in a long time. The meeting room was great and all the meals were wonderful.
The hotel itself is beautiful. Check in was so easy. We asked for a room facing the golf course. Room 6039 was perfect. Great view! Coffee maker with starbucks coffee, safe, toiletries, robes, iron and ironing board.Room service was excellent and timely.
The pool was wonderful. We enjoyed the adults only pool. Never ventured to the other one . Great poolside service and the attendants were so helpful settting up chairs for our big group.
The food was wonderful. We ate at Deseo for dinner one night and everyone agreed it was top notch.
The Kierland Commons shopping center is a 5 minute walk and is beautiful. Outdoors and lots of flowers and music. Alot of fun little bistros and wine bars to have lunch or dinner.
All in all, it was a wonderful trip. Our meeting was handled very well as was every other aspect of the stay. We all agreed, it would be fun to come back and stay without working. We are planning on having the same meeting there same time next year.

• Liked — location and views
  • Disliked — nothing ,everything was great
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Boston
Reviewed March 31, 2008

My coworker and I are reviewing this hotel together. We stayed in March for a conference. Here are some highlights:

Check-in: Valet guys were very helpful. Check-in was fine. We did have to wait until 3PM, but that is expected. The overall hotel and lobby are lovely.

Rooms: We had separate rooms and both had some minor cleanliness issues. We both found various hairs on the floor, in a bathrobe, and in one of the beds. My room (and the 3rd floor generally) was pretty beaten up and dingy. They did offer to move me, but after a long flight, I was tired and decided I could live with it. But, they did offer. There is poor soundproofing, and I ended up requesting earplugs which the hotel supplied. The beds were comfortable. There are ample towels and good Westin toiletries. The water pressure is good. The AC/heating unit is effective and not loud.

Grounds: Great. Nice pool options (including a lazy river, an adults-only quiet pool, and the larger main pool), and a golf course. Everything was well manicured.

Pool atmosphere: A mix of families and adults. There is a little difficulty getting beach chairs, but it's not terrible.

Food: Deseo is truly amazing. We are spoiled city diners, and we had no criticisms at all. The flavors are unlike what you'll find in most restaurants, and very, very good. The ceviche is incredible. The drinks and other food are also great. This is the one place where it is worth every penny.

The other restaurants are fine. Everything is pricey. The coffee is fine. The pool bar had very spotty service, and the food was not great. We also had some issues with Nelli Cashman's restaurant (i.e. got the order wrong), but in both instances, they apologized and comped the food. We noticed a number of service issues here, but they do make up for their mistakes.

Room service was fine.

A good option for dining is to check out the mall nearby where there are good restaurants, some with outdoor seating. (But, if you eat at Deseo you'll want to eat there every night; we "wasted" 2 nights at other restaurants and regretted it.)

Gym: Small, and a little crowded at peak times, but ample. They had far fewer classes than th website would lead you to think.

Spa: Insanely overpriced (i.e. worse than the Ritz or the Waldorf).

Getting there: it should cost $60-65 to get to the hotel. If you find a limo at the airport, you may be able to negotiate a nice strech limo for the price of a taxi (not bad!). If you are going for a short stay, there is enough to do between the hotel and the outdoor mall (5 minutes walk) that you won't need a rental car.

For us, we were willing to tolerate some service issues and minor problems with the room because we were there for a conference. Had we spent our own money, we would have been upset given the high fees to stay at this resort. For the vacation traveler, this would be a good place to stay only if at a discounted rate or during the off season.

But we WILL be back for Deseo!

• Liked — Deseo
  • Disliked — Spa is overpriced
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 19, 2008

We picked this hotel through a package tour for Spring Training as I am also a Starwood member. We stayed three nights. The resort is located about a 20 minute drive from downtown old Scottsdale. It is near the Scottsdale airport, which seems to only have small private planes. We did see/hear some during the stay (outdoors during the day), but the traffic was minimal.

Our room was very comfortable & quiet - although I did make sure to ask for a quiet room at check in. We had a view of the pool and a small balcony. The bed was excellent and the bathroom nice - shower and bathtub separate. The Westin has rather sub par toiletries for this level of hotel, no shower cap and only one robe provided. You can not put anything into the minibar refrigerator, but they will provide an additional small refrigerator in the room at no charge upon request.

The grounds are very nice, with multiple fire pits, and seating areas –lots of hidden nooks to sit and relax. We somehow managed to miss the bagpiper every evening. They have a free s'mores station set up at one of the firepits each night, which is fun.

The main pool is open 24 hours, but adults only from 10-5 which is nice. It is a quiet place to relax during the day.

Next door is the water park pool that has a "lazy river" float ride, a slide and a "beach" area, and terraced grass seating areas with piped in music playing - it's open 10-5 and open to all ages.

We had dinner in the Deseo restaurant one night and the food is excellent - a kind of Cuban fusion cuisine with high end ingredients and techniques. I recommend it and was really surprised to find something of that caliber in a resort hotel.

Next door to the resort is a shopping mall that has a few restaurants; it's an easy 5 minute walk and gives a lot more dining options.

We didn't use the golf course, but it looked nice.

• Liked — the bed, pool & grounds
  • Disliked — Westin toiletries, can feel a little corporate
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kkhart
Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 18, 2008

After a three year absence of no-kids vacations, my husband and I visited the Westin Kierland for an amazing week of golf, pool time and relaxation. No kids, no hassles. We were looking to relax and the Westin Kierland provided all that and more. I can't say enough about the staff at the Westin Kierland, everyone was top-notch, warm, friendly, and going out of their way to make our stay memorable. We played golf three times at the Kierland courses and the staff there was equally accommodating and friendly, remembering us after just one visit. I travel all over the world for business and pleasure and I can't tell you the last time we had such a perfect trip, a truly stellar property to which we will definitely return. There were families there with children, empty nesters, couples like us looking for some couple time and everyone in between. The pool staff at the "familly" pool was wonderful, especially Nikki who never let my drink go dry. The golf course staff was also stellar, particularly Parke and John, the starters. We spent time at the firepit and Lindsay was always friendly and accommodating. Front desk staff, bell staff, room service staff, spa staff, gym staff -- I can't say enough good things about this place. Sure, it wasn't cheap, but I don't mind spending money on service. In addition to the fabulous Westin, the Kierland Commons shopping area provided many opportunties for amazing shopping and phenomenal meals. We especially enjoyed NORTH, eating there on two nights because we loved the menu so much.

• Liked — Overall stellar service
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HeatherPA
Chicago, IL
Reviewed March 12, 2008

We stayed here for four nights to celebrate our 5th anniversary and loved it. They gave us a room with a gorgeous view of the golf course and sent us champagne for our special occasion. When we arrived, "Bagpipes at Sunset" was just starting, which we enjoyed from the balcony of our room with a very nice view.

The restaurants we tried (outdoor service during the bagpipes and nellie cashman for breakfast) were very good. They had several that we didn't get to.

We loved the golf courses also, and they were extremely accommodating with tee times. The only glitch was that there were issues with getting our clubs between the hotel and golf course, but they solved these quickly. As always, great Heavenly Bed and shower.

Pools were very relaxing, good food and beverage service, not noisy. The massage at the spa was wonderful. The concierge was very helpful - Andy or Anthony? He suggested the Pinnacle Peak hike - great recommendation!

I like that this place doesn't feel parched or snake-ridden like other resorts in the area. It was also nice to be so close to Kierland Commons.

The hotel was filled with people attending work-related conferences, which only made our time more fun as we saw them all in their suits furiously working their cell phones!

We stayed at the Four Seasons for three nights following our stay here, and there definitely is a difference (room size, the set-up of the resort, number of rooms, price, etc.) FS is a great 5-star resort, and this is an excellent 4-star resort. I highly recommend both.

We had booked a great internet-only pre-pay rate for right after Christmas, but I had an emergency hospital stay right before we were scheduled to leave. They were very accommodating in rescheduling our trip. Thanks, Westin!

• Liked — The golf and the location by Kierland Commons
  • Disliked — minor glitches getting clubs to/from hotel and clubhouse
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple