“Great experience for a great price. Good Location. A+++++”

The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Flower Mound, Texas
“Great experience for a great price. Good Location. A+++++”
Reviewed January 10, 2008

My husband and stayed here over the Christmas Holiday. Very happy with the service, noise level (I slept like a baby), and overall experience. Walking distance to a great shopping area and very near tons of restaurants. Workout/Spa area was very nice. Will go back again!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Denisetx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Korean first
Hoffman Estates, IL
Reviewed January 4, 2008

I would be giving 4.5 stars if I could. This is a very upscale Westin property, one of the better Westin's we have been in as Starwood Members. The property is new and upscale in appearance but what stood out the most was the service. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating, could not do enough for you. The only reason I would not give this property 5 stars is the rooms. While they are clean and fine, they lack the 5 star amenities as say, the Phoenician, and were a tad on the small side. This property also shines for families. We thoroughly enjoyed the smores and movies at the fire pit in the evenings and us adults loved the bagpiper at sunset. Location is phenomenal as well, upscale shopping and restaurants within walking distance as other reviewers have stated. Don't hesitate to book here, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank pattyatips
Sherman Oaks, California
Reviewed December 31, 2007

I recently completed a two night stay at the Westin Kierland. This is the second time I'd stayed there in a month and very much like the property and it's location. The room was clean and nicely decorated. The bed, like all Westin beds, was fantastic and the arm-chair added a nice touch. I love the fact that it's so close to great shopping, good dining, a Starbucks, and is pretty central to all of Scottsdale. I also like the fact that there is a large free parking lot on the property. The innertube pool is really amazing and the gold course is beautiful. My only complaint, and this may be a more general complaint to the SPG brand, is that I was given what had to be the worst room in the hotel. Granted, I booked the room at a discounted room using a combination of points and cash, I don't think I deserved to be at the end of the hall, right by the lobby with no barrier between the two (in fairness, if there was a closed door, it would have been slamming the whole stay). Regardless, during a time when there are three bowl games being played in the Phoenix area, the lobby was always noisy and the late night hall noise got to be annoying. Like other travelers, I did find things in the snack shops, restaurants, etc. expensive, but I don't begrudge that. The hotel is a very nice place and I expect things there to cost a bit more, fair or not. There are many places nearby to eat, drink, buy supplies, etc. if you find the Westin prices unreasonable.

In short, I love the hotel and would love to go back (especially to play the golf course). However, I would have to insist on a better room. Mine needed help.

• Liked — Beautiful grounds, great location, comfortable Westin bed
  • Disliked — That they put a room where they shouldn't have put a room?
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Easyfour
Oklahoma
Reviewed December 12, 2007

We held an annual conference at the Westin Kierland in October. I can't say enough about this property. It's one of those places that despite being there for business purposes, you can't help but feeling that you are on vacation! The service was the best I have ever experienced, you never actually see a taxi, but one is there within 30 seconds of requesting one...yeah - that kind of service. The rooms were nice - heavenly shower and beds. The lobby was a little busy due to a lot of groups being in house. Views from the rooms are gorgeous. There was so much to do on this resort that we rarely left. There was a bagpiper that came out and played at sunset every evening, very nice touch. The place is pricey, even bringing a large group - but worth it! We received nothing but great feedback on this hotel from all our participants. The conference coordinators and sales staff checked in regularly and took great care of us. The only negative I can think of is the cost ($$$ spa, golf, overnight rooms, meals)...meeting planners don't be afraid to negotiate...negotiate...negotiate!

• Liked — Way above average service
  • Disliked — Pricey
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank JaneinOklahoma
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 7, 2007

Stayed at the Kierland for two nights while on business. Hotel staff was attentive and friendly. Allowed me an early check in (10AM) and a late check out. Hotel has lovely grounds and pool area. Had a room on the 10th floor overlooking the courtyard : very nice view in the evening. Went to their spa for a hot stone massage. I've had this type of spa service at other spas and regrettably have to say that the service here was only average, especially for the price ($210). I used the hotel's complementary shuttle service over to the Keirland Commons shopping area. The shuttle is a nice service that they offer. Although I enjoyed my stay, I rated this hotel as neutral/average because of cost and available amenities. No doubt, this is a nice resort for spa/pool/golf, however I felt that the hotel had a tendancy to "nickel and dime" patrons for amenities that have become standard at other hotels in the same class. The hotel does not offer internet access without a charge anywhere in the hotel, not even in the lobby. It also does not have free computers for short internet use. (At least none known to me, and I did a pretty good search). I did purchase 24 hrs of internet use for $12.95 (plus tax) per day.....it was necessary for business purposes. I know some customers aren't looking for internet access while vacationing, but for the daily cost of hotel stay, most hotels include this amenity. Before returing to the Westin for another stay, I would probably check into another resort closer to downtown Scottsdale. Good travel!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank dingbatt
Bucks County, PA
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Just returned from a week at the Kierland Resort over Thanksgiving.
Traveled with 2 daughters (9 & 14) and husband and we had adjoining rooms that were pleasant but some glitches. The girls sliding glass door wouldn't open and even when engineering said they would fix it they didn't get around to it...kind of annoying as they couldn't get out to their patio and always came into our room to get out that way. They did give the girls two free movies for their inconvenience. Our bed had a piece of gum (ugh) stuck to the bed frame and something that looked like bubblegum on the ceiling! Also, the bathroom in the King bedroom was quite small, the girls had a very large (tub and shower) bathroom. On the plus side the service was wonderful, everyone kind and helpful. We could have even upgraded b/c of issues and being Starwood members, but we opted not to move (the rooms would have been on different floors). The towels really are like sandpaper and the pool water is very chilly this time of year b/c overnight temps dip so low. The Piper at night is lovely, the firepits welcoming and the smores delicious. The food at the resort was pretty good, although we ate out too. The Corner in Kierland Commons is great for lunch; North was pretty good too although not for kids and the same for Zinc. Go to Old Scottsdale and mosey around all the wonderful galleries, grab lunch at The Snowball(?) good food, service and delicious ice cream. On the whole a pleasant time, we did many excursions (Hot Air Balloon Ride, Night time Desert Hummer (didn't see much and don't go if you get motion sick), Museum of the Caballeros in Wickenburg and a Phoenix Suns game were all fun). Probably wouldn't go back b/c we did it all and if I had to stay in Scottsdale I would recommend it for the price although my guess is there are nicer places to stay in the area if you are wiling to spend more.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank drummer'sgirl
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 20, 2007

Just came back from a meeting at the Westin Kierland and can't say enough good things about it. I requested a quiet room away from it all because I was taking a big test. The person over the phone was so helpful and nice. She booked me in a gorgeous room at the conference rate. I felt like such a queen! The Kierland is a place to go if you want peace and quiet. It is so large you feel as if you're the only one there. The people at the front desk and in the restaurants go out of their way to make your stay a special one. We actually took public transportation into Old Scottsdale (bus stops at Kierland Commons) and had a wonderful lunch at Los Olivos (very authentic and old) followed by delightful ice cream at the Sugar Bowl. It was great to go back to the Westin to swim laps in the adult pool. Boy, did we need some exercise after all that great, and cheap, food. I'd go back to the Westin in heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2007