“Perfect Place”

Residence Inn Scottsdale North
Ranked #56 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My significant other and I stayed here between November 14 and 25 as he was semi-working and I was on vacation along for the ride. Our room was a King suite. This room is open-style and features a king bed, full kitchen, living room/sitting area, bathroom separate from the vanity, good sized closet, more than adequate drawer space. It was like having a little apartment. The hotel locations was ideal for us and really, within 20 minutes of many things of interest. We had a GPS so getting around was extremely easy. Great location. The room was very quiet except for a car alarm going off early one morning but that is not any fault of the hotel.

A full breakfast is included with your stay which includes scrambled eggs, a meat, some kind of potato, and another item like a pancake. Other options in the breakfast include waffles, cereal, fruit and yogurts, oatmeal, fruit, two juices and of course coffee and tea. Monday through Wednesday, they have a 'dinner' option in the evening from about 5:30 to 7:30. We never took advantage of this. I have some major food allergies and was able to navigate the breakfast selections but we always had other plans for evening.

The pool was great, usually quiet but even with kids around, it was perfect. Towels are provided. We used the exercise room nearly every day. Two treadmills and an eliptical machine. There was some kind of weight machine contraption but for someone who works out with free weights regularly, it was disappointing. The option of putting a device on the bottom section of the pulley was broken in the manner that you could not hook up a bar or anything to utilize it so doing bicep or tricep exercises was virtually n/a. I opted to enjoy the vacation and not worry about working out other than getting some long walks on the treadmill before heading to the pool.

This place is perfect especially for extended stays. The room we had was very comfortable, the location of the hotel is ideal, the services were great and the staff always friendly and helpful. We utilized the kitchen facilities frequently for leftovers and other supplies for sandwiches and simple meals.

Business will take us there again. We loved this place and will stay there when we return. I highly recommend this accommodation.

Room Tip: I don't know about the other rooms but the suite rooms are definitely worth the money especially...
2  Thank Lori H
Brent G, Manager at Residence Inn Scottsdale North, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Hello Lori - Thank you for taking the time and effort to review our property. Based on its length and depth, you obviously put a lot of thought into it and that means a lot to us. I'm thrilled that your experience was such a positive one and we truly look forward to your next visit. Please feel free to contact me directly if there's anything that I can do for you.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Scottsdale North

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed four nights for a conference at the Westin (which was full). Room was clean. Decor was generic and boring. Ground-floor room with view of parking lot and streetlights shining in at night (so I had to close the dark curtains). Breakfast was the usual inedible chain-hotel stuff (no better or worse than elsewhere), with the usual gimmicks (make your own waffles), but not one loaf of real bread in sight.

Room was set up as a bedroom (with TV) and a living room (with couch, desk, TV, and kitchen corner). Small desk and chair was fine; good to have electrical outlets in the base of lamps for phone/laptop chargers. Wifi worked, but had one of those annoying sign-in pages. Bathroom was fine. Water heavily chlorinated, so it would have been nice to have complimentary bottled water. Full-size refrigerator, dishwasher, small electric range, large counter. I didn't need any of that. I suppose it would be handy for a long stay, but I think I'd shoot myself if I had to spend a long stay here.

Interior court was fairly pleasant, with palm trees and fire pit (populated by smokers in the evening). Indoor breakfast area pretty depressing. Hotel is surrounded by parking lots and other chain hotels. Shopping center across a highway. Nearby mall (about 20 minutes' walk) has an amazingly complete selection of big-box stores.

Shuttle bus to conference was fine, though it didn't run late at night, so was not as handy as I expected. But it's only 30 minutes' walk to Westin; though it is deserted at night, it seemed reasonably safe.

Room Tip: If I were forced to stay here again, I'd ask for a courtyard-side room on a high floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Brent G, Manager at Residence Inn Scottsdale North, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Hi Egregio - I'm glad that you had the opportunity to stay with us, but I regret that you were not more impressed with our recent renovation or the efforts of our staff members to make your stay more pleasant. You're right that we do cater to longer-term stays, and for many of them the full kitchen facilities are extremely valuable. We do appreciate your feedback and the time and effort that you put into your response. I invite you to call me directly on your next visit and I will make sure we get you located with a beautiful view of our courtyard.

Thanks,

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for three nights during a nearby conference. The room, including carpeting, felt clean and fresh. The TV swiveled so I could watch from couch or bed.

The staff was very friendly, offering restaurant suggestions and taking me twice in their shuttle to the conference. The people at breakfast were also very friendly and attentive.

Overall, I was impressed with the value of the hotel. They offered a complimentary breakfast, which I ate. In addition to the usual items, there was a waffle machine that made your waffle in 3 minutes. It was a fun treat. I didn't eat the free dinner, which was offered some nights, but since I thought it was a good value for one person to have a clean room and breakfast, I think a family eating the breakfast and dinner would be a particularly good deal.

I used the gym once, which was fine to use the treadmill while watching TV. Overall, I recommend this hotel if you want something in this area that is clean and has friendly people.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Brent G, Manager at Residence Inn Scottsdale North, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for your kind review. We truly appreciate your business and hope to have you back the next time that your travels bring you back to our area.

Please let me know if there's anything that I can do for you.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Unsure of where to stay in Scottsdale, we contacted the GM and he painted an accurate picture of the hotel and it's ammenities. This was a mini family vacation and price was important to us but also was location and certain hotel amenitites (we didn't need the full resort experience for this trip). We had a 2 bed/2 bath suite on the first floor. For a family with young kids, it was the perfect layout, was clean and had all the comforts of home and 3 TV's! The pool area was really nice too. Having breakfast included each day is always convenient and the food was pretty good. One evening there was happy hour with wine/beer and dinner which was also a nice plus (happy hour is only mon, tues, wed). Over the weekend they did seem to run out of basics (utensils, napkins) and the person managing it seemed to be overwhelmed at times (maybe they were short-staffed?). At one point, she had to hand-wash forks just so we'd have more and there was quite a wait. Seems purchasing more silverware would solve that issue. But on weekends, there could be more attention to the breakfast to ensure the basics are well stocked. A few tips, if you want a view of the mountains or the Frank Lloyd Wright Spire, be sure to request a room that has this view. Overall, we were happy with our stay, it was close to restaurants, shopping and about a 20 minute drive to the south gets you to Old Town where there is even more shopping. Just 20-30 minutes to the north you hit Pinnacle Peak and other areas with great mountain views. So overall, nicely located.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your review. I'm happy that you decided to stay with us and that your stay went well. (even though you brought the cold weather with you) Please let me know if you're planning on coming back to Scottsdale as we'd be happy to have you back again.

Thanks again and happy Thanksgiving.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

If any of you want a great place to stay this is it! After a good couple of hours driving around in the car and looking for places we stumbled across the Residence Inn. I am so glad that we went here! I thought I was at a resort ! Clean rooms, an awesome selection for breakfast,it has everything you need! Although I never found the phone book but that is okay. Really an almost full size fridge? A dishwasher? Wow ! I would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank westtravelers
Brent G, Manager at Residence Inn Scottsdale North, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Hi WestTravelers - We appreciate your stay with us and your kind words in this review. I'm happy to hear that you would gladly stay here again and I hope that you do next time that you come to Scottsdale. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions or if you would like to set up another reservation.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Had a very nice 3 night stay. Off the main road of N Scottsdale Road. Away from traffic noise. The room was very clean with a full kitchen. The stay included the regular full breakfast, which was fine. A nice surprise was a free happy hour which included a variety of cheeses, crackers, salad, cookies, beer, wine and soda. Very nice pool. Also had a basket ball court. Ate at Grimoldi's Pizzaria on N. Scottsdale Rd. It was better the some NY pizzas.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheLoons

Hello, Loons! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and I'm very glad that you enjoyed your stay here. Grimaldi's was an excellent choice. We go there for lunch all the time. Please let me know next time you plan on coming to our area and I'll be happy to help you with your reservations.

Thanks!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

hotel situated a bit off scottsdale road and is not easy to spot on first sight. it's just across the road from the frank lloyd wright spire. this landmark can be seen from some rooms and is illuminated at night. upon check in we ask the guy for a room with a view of the spire; he did not know what we were talking about, seriously! anyway, the room appeared almost brand new. all appliances in top condition and all very clean. full kitchen, wifi, huge bathroom and 2 flatscreen HD tv's. no safe. pretty outdoor pool area with palm trees, resort style. great breakfast with plenty to choose from. just that little bit makes the difference. upscale shopping area within walking distance with tons of shops (incl nordstrom outlet) and restaurants across the street at the spire. would always stay here again, but all those 4-5star resorts are tempting, especially during the summerheat.

Room Tip: ask for room with spire view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank griswolds09
Brent G, Manager at Residence Inn Scottsdale North, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Hello Griswolds! I'm happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that your trip was less adventurous than that of the movie family of the same name. I understand the temptation to stay at the 5 star resorts, but we thank you for choosing us. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Scottsdale area. Please let me know if there's anything that I can do for you.

brent.goss@rhwhotels.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Courtyard Scottsdale North
#51 of 75 in Scottsdale
Desert Ridge
Residence Inn Phoenix Desert View at Mayo Clinic

Been to Residence Inn Scottsdale North? Share your experiences!