“Terrific ambience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Woodstock, Georgia
“Terrific ambience”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at this beautiful new Courtyard property in Scottsdale toward the end of a 3-week Southwest trip spent mostly in desert and wilderness areas and small communities. We were reluctant to trade in the quiet of the desert for the big city but we wanted to visit some attractions in metro Phoenix and needed a base. This place was a good compromise. It’s built on tribal land of the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indians and owned by the tribe, though it’s managed by Marriott. The design, architectural elements and décor including photography by a prominent Native American photographer and tribal member, reflect the culture of the community. Everyone on the very helpful staff seemed proud of the facility and pleased to be working there. This place blends the comfort and convenience of a top-notch Courtyard with the chance to appreciate the identity of the special environment around you.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Schweep
Melisa G, General Manager at Courtyard Scottsdale Salt River, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Hello! Thank you sincerely for your review of our exceptional hotel - where guests can be a part of the beautiful desert and tribal land! We are proud to be the first Marriott on US Tribal Land and of the Native American influence on our décor. What a lovely way to complete your Southwestern tour by including the wonderful attractions in the Valley of the Sun. Phoenix has so much to offer with museums featuring Native American artworks, plus the Botanical Gardens featuring indigenous plants. Beyond those places there are the many excellent golf courses, zoo, and other venues to keep you busy for many more trips! Our staff prides itself on being helpful in assisting guests in making the most of their visit - thank you for taking a moment to recognize them.

All my best,
Melisa Gonzalez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Casper, Wyoming
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My wife and I went to Scottsdale for spring training baseball. It has easy access to the Salt River Stadium and easy to get to Old TownScottsdale. The hotel was very clean and staff was helpful. Rooms were clean and fresh. The lobby and breakfast area were also clean. Kind of expensive for food but was good. The pool area was very clean with a great hot tub. Overall this hotel was a great stay. We will be back.

Room Tip: Great location to Scottsdale area.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed February 26, 2013

New hotel, helpful staff, very good maintenance about the facility. Pool and hot tube were very clean, both located in a beautiful outdoor pool area that was open early and late (6:30AM to 11PM). Room was well laid out, had excellent climate controls, small frig, etc. Internet worked well in the room. Recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DJG17
Pinetop, AZ
Reviewed February 20, 2013

stayed there last Saturday night - price very reasonable for the weekend before spring training starts (when the prices increase for all hotels in the PHX Area for the spring training fans) - stayed on second floor; quiet room even though the hotel is very close to the 101 freeway - breakfast on Sunday lots of choices, fairly priced as hotel meals go - will definitely stay there again

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank rjr1
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel built in 2012. There is a small conference area for meetings which is really nicely laid out. No free coffee which is a hassle in the morning as lines fill for the Starbucks line. Starbuck waitresses are clearly doing their best but just too many people want a quick coffee in the morning.

Nice pool and Batista and front desk are great. I will not be back because I hate to wait 15 minutes for a cup of coffee after I have my first in my room.

• Stayed February 2013
Westville, Indiana
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at the Courtyard Salt River for 10 nights during our stay during Christmas. The hotel is very pretty and the staff was very friendly. My Fiance and I had a room with a beautiful view, but my in-laws view wasn't that great. We didn't spend much time in our room so the view we had was nice but wasn't a must for us. They have a shuttle that will take you to and from old town Scottsdale that runs until 10p.m. that was very nice to have. I really enjoyed our stay here and would love to stay again on my next visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ipswich
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Just stayed at this hotel 21/22 December and it was very quiet, clean and we found it easy to get to downtown Scottsdale.
I mention quiet because coming from not sunny England and being due to fly back in couple of days I specifically asked if we could have a room with a view and some sunshine. I think we possibly were given the smallest room 432 which was so small I could bang my arm on the wall when I turned over in bed! Normally we would have asked to move but we had just arrived from a 9 hr car journey and after 15 or more days on the road by the time we had got our cases to the room were just shattered.
My fault we should have mentioned it but it was clean and that's often the main thing. We found the marriott website we booked on disappointing as it only gave us the option of a king room had I had the choice I would have booked a bigger/more picturesque room. Disappointing because the hotel was obviously not very busy and it would have been nice if the check in guy had been a little more friendly and accommodating. His words about room were " lovely view of courtyard" see my photo does anyone agree?
We visit Scottsdale every December and I'm not sure I'd stay here again maybe in a better room !

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kittybat
Melisa G, General Manager at Courtyard Scottsdale Salt River, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel! I'm glad you found the hotel quiet and clean; I hope you were able to get some rest after such a long time on the road! I'm so sorry to hear that we offered a great view of the courtyard and did not deliver it to you. I know I would be very disappointed in that situation. I have spoken with the Front Desk associate who checked you in and he would like me to pass on his personal apology. He did not realize that room had a partial view of the courtyard. In order to prevent this issue for our future guests, I have made a notation in the room description for that room, as well as the one on the second and third floors. If you decide to stay with us again next December, I'd love to help make your reservation and pick out a great room; my favorite rooms are 235,335,435 (for space), 244,344,444 (for a view) and 250,350,450 (for a balcony). Please feel free to reach out to me personally if I can be of any assistance to you. Thank you again for your time and for pointing out an opportunity for us to enhance the stay of our future guests!

Safe travels,