“Um... What a shock”
Review of Saguaro Scottsdale

Saguaro Scottsdale
Ranked #46 of 76 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel when it was the Mondrian and it was amazing. I have recently moved to indianapolis and brought my boyfriend to Scottsdale to meet my parents and raved about this hotel, sadly it is like one reviewer said motel 6. Really bad. Room was so dirty pubic hair on the tolet seat, drain clogged and we smelled cig smoke all night the staff was great when we called and where moved to another room but I would not stay again... Not sure what's with the creepy old pictures on the wall either ... This hotel is sad and trying despritley to be apart of the Scottsdale culture yet it is very very far from that. Do yourself a favor and run to valley ho

• Stayed: May 2014
Morgan K, Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Hello Sakurac87m,

We appreciate you reviewing your recent stay.
I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay here. It does not sound like a normal experience with us. I would like to discuss your stay further with you. If you could, contact me at your earliest convenience at mkunse@jdvhotels.com.

Thank you.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

It has been a few months since we stayed at The Saguaro, yet I felt a desire to give my opinion on this hotel. First, I agree with many reviewers in that I absolutely love the location in Old Town Scottsdale where we walked to restaurants, shops, art district, and even to Scottsdale Mall and along the canal waterfront. Secondly, I also cherish the mid-century modern design. Thirdly, I did like the grounds, pool areas, fire pit, and layout of the hotel. Staff and check-in was smooth. Parking area near our room was convenient.

Now, for what I didn't like.

1. Our bathroom door was on a track above the bathroom opening and it was so heavy to push the door I could hardly move it. Sometimes it got stuck on the floor track mechanism. Since I had a broken wrist it was difficult to open and close the bathroom door.

2. The noise from the hallways were amplified due to the concrete construction and concrete floors. So we heard people talking floors above and below us while there were going to and from their rooms. Also the doors closing was loud.

3. Our beds made weird noises when getting into and out of the beds. The noise was like old box springs or box springs and wood rubbing on each other.

4. Our building did not have an elevator so we did walk up the stairs to the second floor. This normally would not bother us except the property is pretty large so you end up walking far across to the main lobby. Plus we walked a couple of miles or more each day walking around Old Town Scottsdale and over to Camelback Road area.

Okay, we did get a great hotel package through an online website so our rate was phenomenal. However, we have traveled all over the world so we do compare our experiences from a 40 year time period of travels.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello TexasCatBird,

We appreciate you reviewing your stay with us, even though it was a few months ago.
Our location is quite amazing, right around all the shops, galleries, and restaurants.

On the other hand, we are actually in the process of replacing some of our beds to prevent that “weird noise” you heard. With our guests’ feedback, we try and take action to make each stay better than the last.

Though you may have much more of the world to explore, we hope welcome you here again!

Reviewed May 25, 2014

I have stayed at the saguaro three times and would recommend it to anyone! It is such a beautiful place and the staff is amazing! The location is near all kinds of great shopping and restaurants! I love that you have access to bikes or they have golf cart rides to wherever you need to go! It's An awesome place! I would highly recommend!!!

• Stayed: May 2014

Hello Kellyyoung24!

Thank you for your wonderful review and for your loyalty!
We hope to see you again before the summer is over!

Reviewed May 22, 2014

This is the second time that I have stayed at this property in the last 6 months. The service from the bellman and front desk are outstanding. I had a minor complaint that I brought to the attention of one of the managers and he followed up with twice and also sent me a nice amenity.

The location can not be beat in Old Town with so many things to see and lively restaurant and bar scene within walking distance. The rooms are large and cute, the only weirdness is the bathrooms have sliding doors so not much privacy. Housekeeping does a great job on the rooms, but the overall cleanliness of the property could use some help. The pool areas are great, one for fun and partying and one for quiet. I did not eat in the restaurant so I cannot comment on that. Great free parking onsite and fun fitness classes and event space. I would definitely stay here again while in Scottsdale area.

Room Tip: For a quite room, choose a higher floor not facing the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Hello Pjherr,

Thank you for writing a review about your stay!

We strive to listen to our guests’ feedback to make each experience better and better.
Our location is amazing! There are many restaurants, shops, galleries and activities just within walking distance. If it isn’t within walking distance, we have complimentary bicycles for our guests!

We hope we welcome you back for your third time!

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Had a few issues, some staff were nice and helpful, others were useless and ignored you.

Upgraded our reservation to pool side, but too many trees can't see the pool.

When checking in the computers were down, couldn't print hotel keys, couldn't register your access to wi-fi. Security let us in and in the morning they provided keys and wifi access. Wasn't too annoying as we arrive pretty late.

$9 bottle of water is stupid, the mini-fridge was tiny, but we managed to fit some water bottles from the CVS which is about a 1 minute drive away, along with some beer and pops, so it wasn't too bad. Free couple cups of coffee Keurig in the room.

Pool was closed for one night for a fire fighter event, good for the fire fighters bad for us. There was a note on the gate that the pool was closing at 5PM (usually 10PM). We asked about it the next day at the front desk and they mentioned the smaller pool was still open, we didn't know there was a smaller pool, we looked around for it, couldn't find it. It's a resonable sized place, but no idea how the smaller pool is, and the larger pool is just a large rectangle, but wasn't overly crowded. The music was loud, but fun, and one of the speakers kept cutting in and out. The pool closing at 10PM is a little annoying as it is still warm, and you might actually use the attached hot tub, during the daytime, no need for a hottub.

Room was clean, bed was big and comfy. The construction in the room was pretty poor, really bad drywalling and painting in our room, but the bright colors were nice. I didn't really have much issue with the room, other than it wasn't 4-Star looking, showerhead sucked, television sucked and everything was overpriced ($16 for a movie that's been out for months).

Being in old town was cool, lots of places to walk to if you can take the heat, cheap restaurants, trendy and expensive restaurants. Old Town was quite a bit touristy, too many just trinket shops not much heritage to it, but was pleasant.

Distario (sp?) was not good, there was a wedding at the resort for one of our nights, couldn't get any drink service during happy hour, margarittas were awful, mexican beers were good. We had made a reservation for 6PM, but it wasn't in the computer when I had seen her type it into the computer earlier, we were cancelling earlier because the enchilada we had at happy hour was sub-par, and weren't interested in eating in the place as it wasn't that nice. Decided to go to Kelly's (about 10 minute walk) was expensive but decent and there happy hour went till 7PM.

We had ordered a "Caesar" pool side, which is a Bloody Mary in the US, they ended up adding a Caesar salad to our bill which we had to remove at checkout, and they ended up adding the Bloody Mary which we never got. I couldn't get a clear answer at checkout what the $27 charge was for exactly, but they credited $13 for the caesar and $9 for the Bloody Mary, leaving about $5 left for a signle vodka/diet, which are normally about $9 poolside (no outside food or drink allowed in the pool area, so be prepared to pay $9-$15 per drink poolside)

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Daniel D,

We appreciate you reviewing your recent stay with us.

I apologize about your unpleasant experience here. We do have special events at our pool on occasions. But on other nights we do close the pool at 10pm so that our other guests are not disturbed.

We hope to welcome you back for a more enjoyable time.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

I like what this hotel is going for... but it just isn't all coming together for them. For the price they charge {plus...don't forget there is an additional $25 per day resort fee} I expect more. I feel that the designers were off to a great start- I love the bright colors and the whole retro thing they are going for.... but the place is a little dilapidated.

They took an old motel and gave it a facelift... I just think there is a bit more work to be done to make it as nice of a hotel as they are saying that it is. The elevator had a weird smell and I thought may not get me to the second floor, the shower clogged up and the door to the bathroom barely closed....Oh, on that note, if you are traveling with someone you aren't that comfortable with you may like to know that even if the door were properly working, there isn't complete privacy in the bathroom with the design of the door.

There was a line to check in, a line at the pool bar {and only 2 waitresses serving the whole pool so we had to get in the line or wait forever for them} I also was surprised that on Saturday half of the pool area was reserved for a private party so needless to say- there wasn't much room for the rest of the guests. There was a second, smaller pool, but the larger pool has the music and activity.

The pros are: great location, VERY comfortable bed and the bright color concept gives a lively feeling. The gym looked like it had new equipment, but I didn't use it to be 100% sure. They have free bikes to use {but they were all taken already by 9:30am}

But for the amount they charge it just isn't worth it. And one more thing that was a bit annoying is that to check out you can either stand in a long line or check out on on the TV in your room {yay!} and then I notice another $1.00 charge which I think maybe is a donation to a charity, but I really don't know....it was hard to see because the whole description isn't shown on the TV... and don't get me wrong... I am all about giving to charity and it may seem to cheap to complain about only one dollar, but it is the principle of the matter. I didn't have the ability to take that off of my bill without standing in the line.

I would most likely stay somewhere else if I go back to Scottsdale, but I hope they can update the place because it has so much potential.

Room Tip: If you plan to go to bed early you do not want a room near the pool because the DJ is loud!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Morgan K, Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Hello TravelGirl604,

Thank you for taking some time out to write a review about your stay.

We actually completed some renovations in November of 2011. During this we added many great touches to our guest rooms, including 100% cotton 400 thread count sheets, pillow top mattresses, iHome docking stations for your ipad and ipod, AC units, new flat panel 42inch LED TV's and many other comfort features. In addition we added in some traditional hand crafted furniture from Mexico to give our hotel a sense of authenticity for the native surroundings.
We also got new pool furniture for the Picante pool last week!

We hope you do come back to visit us!

Reviewed May 17, 2014

We stayed in Scottsdale on the first night of our holiday. We wanted somewhere not too far from Phoenix airport following a ten hour flight from London. The Sanguaro is a very colourful hotel and we liked it there. The room was spacious and had everything we needed. We visited the bar and were made very welcome by the staff. We arrived at the hotel in the evening so could not explore the surrounding area until next morning.
We liked the downtown area of Scottsdale, there were plenty of interesting shops and cafe's.
It would have been nice to have stayed longer and seen more of Scottsdale and Phoenix.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Owlincallington

Hello Owlincallington,

We appreciate you taking some time out to write a review about your stay!

Sounds like you had a full day of traveling! We hope you come back to stay with us so you can enjoy some of our great amenities and Scottsdale!