“Don't let the bright colors scare you away”
Review of Saguaro Scottsdale

Saguaro Scottsdale
Ranked #44 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Vancouver, Canada
“Don't let the bright colors scare you away”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed at the Saguaro from December 6-8, 2012.

This is my 4th visit to Scottsdale and have never had an opportunity to stay in Old Town. Saguaro was definitely a delight and would highly recommend

Good: the pools are unbelievable. Our party was there when it wasn't so busy so we had the pools all to ourselves. It was a bit cooler during the time of our visit but no matter, the pools are heated and the sheltered cabanas were available.
The whole resort is a jumble and a whole mess of color !!! I loved it (my hubby no so much) The walls were awash in orange and yellow and lime green and the comp bikes also matched the paint. There were a lot of kitschy decorations like old cameras and guidebooks in the rooms so those were really cool to look at.
The toiletries and the robe were also top of the line
Location was also 5 star and if you are feeling energetic, you can borrow one of the orange bikes to tour around the property and the city.
Oh and before I forget, the coffee served at the restaurant in the morning is actual espresso, served in a Bodum

Not so good
The trees hanging over the patios on the rooms on the 2nd floor facing the Picante Pool were a bit overgrown that you couldn't really spend a lot of time on the patio without fearing a gecko dropping by unexpectedly. Very minor...we fixed this problem by hanging at the pool instead.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Arpee P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
atlanta, GA
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The saguaro is beautiful... the bold colors, the design of the lobby, restaurant, bar, rooms and pool all make for an aesthetically wonderful experience. The staff is exceptionally friendly and accommodating. During a wedding weekend of hosting many out of towners they went out of their way to make it special and effortless for all the special events taking place and went above and beyond by delivering all the welcome packages and helping us host a meet and greet in a private bar on the property.
The whiskey bar was a perfect way to end each day with us all gathering around the beautiful outdoor fireplace and perfectly concocted cocktails.
The location of the hotel was fantastic, we were able to walk out the door and experience great bars, art galleries, a Native American festival and a parade.
All in all we were very happy with our week long wedding week stay at the Saguaro.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I left behind an article in their Restaurant "Distrito" which is excellent by the way. Went back on Sunday and the front desk person "Devon" went through many phone calls and got my item back. Most other places just say "we never found it".

The integrity of the staff at this Hotel is uncomprimising.

Great people. Beautiful place. Very centrally located in Old Town Scottsdale.

Room Tip: Was not staying at the Hotel had lunch for a second time at Distrito.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and i stayed here during Spring Training. We felt welcome and were very comfortable from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean, and the location is walking distance to the Giants ballpark and all that Old Town has to offer. I hope to make Spring Training a regular thing, and if we do, i would have no problem staying here again. Thank you, Saguaro!

• Stayed March 2013
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed March 18, 2013

After spending a week in Phoenix, I decided to stay a couple of nights in Scottsdale via a Priceline hotel search. What a mistake. Aside from my neighbors leaving soiled pampers outside their door, the rickety chain and lock door inside my room, and the large mosquitoes in my room, I don't have any future visits planned to this property. Look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank BusinessTravelDiva
Waukee, Iowa
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I traveled to Scottsdale for a mid-week meeting and The Saguaro was presented to me on Priceline at a tremendous rate so I gave it a try. I must say, I was super impressed and would return again IF I could get a reduced rate. I certainly don't know that I would pay 2-300 for a mid-week stay but for the right price, I would definitely go again!

I was beyond impressed with the attention to detail and the service offered by the staff. When I pulled up to the hotel, I was immediately greeted by two young men who offered me directions to the check-in desk. After a very prompt and courteous check-in, the boys were waiting for me at the car with a bottle of water and a map of the property. They were quick to suggest their onsite restaurant when I asked for dining suggestions and the even gave me some menu ideas.

The room itself was funky and fun but not at all what I would call upscale--by any means. As others have suggested, it is merely a MOTEL that has been repainted and updated. New light fixtures go a long way and bright colors and fun accessories make the room look inviting. I was pleased with what I saw.

I made my way to Distrito through the lush gardens, past the pools. The grounds were nicely maintained and well lit. The restaurant was terrific. Try the fish tacos! At check-in, I was presented with a voucher for a free order of guacamole. Delish! I sat out on the patio and being from the Midwest I had to chuckle that the outdoor heaters were on. It was 82 degrees :)

I had arrived around 8:30 in the evening and I am a female there alone on a work trip. I felt entirely safe. The hotel is right in the middle of Old Towne Scottsdale and although you might hear some noise from the street, the place was otherwise quiet. The bed was very comfortable with nice linens.

I very much appreciated to in-room Keurig! When I ran out of coffee pods, I requested more. Within minutes, housekeeping brought me more.

The lost art of customer service is very much present at this property. And I for one appreciate that! To the staff and management, kudos! And thank you for a super stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
AKleinGM, General Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding the "over the top customer service!", attention to detail and service offered by our staff. Our valet continues to receive high marks for their level of service, which you have experienced. As mentioned, “Distrito” has an amazing fish tacos, winning the people’s choice award at the valley’s Taco Fest. Certainly, as you have mentioned, our hotel spirit is “funky and fun”, and our comfortable bedding with 100% cotton 400 thread sheets provide for a wonderful bedding experience. Overall it sounds as if you enjoyed your stay, and we are pleased the AZ weather was a compliment to your stay. We certainly hope you have an opportunity to visit again.
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed March 15, 2013

For those wanting to visit Scottsdale, Arizona,The Saguaro's location is ideal. Its just a five-minute walk to the heart of Old Scottsdale and all of the little old shops and galleries you could wish for. The room was also well placed the other direction as a two-minute walk South puts you right in the middle of the city greenway spanning Drinkwater Blvd, where there are museums, restaurants, galleries, and watering holes of several varieties. The staff was very helpful at all times, the rooms were modern, spotless, and quiet, and the vegetation outside the window made me think I was in some sort of natural history history museum except that I could glimpse the waterfall over the pool through the orange trees. We didn't sample the hotel's food as there are so many great restaurants within a 10-minute walk, but our stay was a very good one and we will return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing Indian School Road.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Yes, the Saguaro's location is ideal, in the heart of Old Scottsdale. There are truly so many great and fun shops, galleries and restaurants to choice from. And thank you for complementing our staff on them being very helpful at all times, we take great pride in our service levels to our guest. Additionally, it is great to hear that you found the rooms to modern, clean, and quiet. We are pleased that you noticed our landscaping and pool areas, a great area to relax and enjoy the Scottsdale warm winter weather. We are looking forward to your return.