“Bright & Cheerful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #48 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Breda,
“Bright & Cheerful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

and I don't just mean the paint! all of the staff and workers were so friendly and happy!
The rooms were lovely, we had a suite by the smaller pool, which was huge and very well appointed -it had everything you would need.
The best thing about this hotel, that I didn't realize until I got there was it's location. In the middle of the Old Town it was steps to so many different places - we loved every second of our time here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AKleinGM, General Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your review. The 12 colors used throughout the property represent the wildflowers which are indigenous to the Arizona desert. This certainly makes for a unique collaboration between landscape and architecture. And of course, THANK YOU for the compliments on our staff, we take great pride in providing genuinely friendly service to each of our guest. While each of our pools differs, I am delighted you enjoyed the CALMA pool area. Centrally located in OLD TOWN SCOTTSDALE, as you have indicated, offers our guest an amazing experience, truly something for everyone.
We are looking forward to your return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

What a fun place! The staff is absolutely incredible and anticipated my every need before I even knew I had it! Wonderfully accommodating, fun, funky and kitschy - I just loved all of the attention to detail!

I stayed in the Chaparral Gardenview Patio Suite, which has a huge furnished patio with loungers and a walkway to the pool area! Lots of space in the room and even a separate living room area for entertaining friends.

Distrito - Great food! (Try the Queso Fundido with duck barbacoa!)
Old Town Whiskey - Great selection! (Try the Commodore!)
Pool - Great DJ's and vibe on weekends! (Get a cabana!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WOW, I am so glad you had a wonderful stay with us. And yes, we do like to have fun here at the Saguaro. Anticipating our guest needs and providing attention to detail is important, as you have experienced. The Chaparral Garden View Patio Suite is just one of many wonderful rooms which provide an incredible experience at the Picante pool; DJ included. As mentioned, “Distrito” has an amazing menu. Since opening his first restaurant, Amada, in 2005, Iron Chef Jose Garces has emerged as an enormous talent and one of the nation's most gifted young chefs. We are truly blessed to have such talent in our partnership here at the Saguaro hotel.
We are so looking forward to your next visit, here in the valley of the sun!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

This hotel is organized into two building groupings; three motels are grouped together, and this is where all the guests stay, which is across from the building where the the lobby, conference room, and restaurants are located. So while it wasn't a big issue for me, please be aware that this is by no means a hotel, in which you travel down an elevator to the lobby to pick up a bite to eat. It is a motel, with outdoor and public access to rooms, plain as day.

Each room is redone to look nice cosmetically, but they have not been actually refurbished. I stayed in building #1 the first night (AVOID AT ALL COSTS) and the "balcony" was incredibly old, with an accompanying door that was completely uninsulated. I could hear absolutely everything all night long (every time someone started a car, shifted gears, called a bellhop, rolled suitcases, hiccuped EVERYTHING) and mind you, I am a very sound sleeper. To boot, the entrance to the room and the door to the connecting rooms were also poorly insulated, so there was light shining into my room from both the neighboring room and the "hallway" (outdoor concrete structure). Even better, I heard every distinct hiccup that the person in the next room had, from 2-3am. There were also kids partying SEVERAL rooms away, but I was able to identify exactly what songs they were playing. I mentioned to someone at the motel staff that I would be switching rooms, and he replied, "Couldn't sleep? Too loud?" Nice guy, but to me, it means that this happens all the time.

I requested a room change for the second night, which hardly improved my sleep. They called it an "upgrade" but it was equally bad, and it was the same basic room style. This hotel doesn't define upgrades by the quality of the room, rather by how much someone can hear during the night. Also, the bed was very uncomfortable and the shower was rusty. Like I said, it seems that when this motel was redone, the company declined to make real investments, only cosmetic changes.

I was also nickle and dimed. I stayed at the hotel for a conference, and when I made my reservations, I was told that I would be charged $99 per night (at this time, I asked for email confirmation but I never received it - I didn't bother to call back again). When it came time to pay (and after just two days, I was dying to leave and I had to catch a flight, so I didn't have the energy to fight it) they charged $128 per night, exactly per diem, I can't imagine why. They also tacked on a Housekeeper Gratuity ($3 per day - I tipped the maid separately, mind you, before I knew about this charge) and a Porterage Charge ($7 - and I received nor requested the help of a porter).

I would also like to comment that I typically sleep very well in hotels, and I have stayed in some dumps before. I have even stayed in a hotel that was on top of I-95 in NJ, with a window that faced the highway, and I slept better than I did here. I have never written a review on trip advisor, not even after a bad honeymoon experience, but I absolutely had to warn other travelers about this place. I couldn't believe that I was the only person who had such a bad experience, so I asked other conference attendees, and everyone with whom I spoke was unimpressed. Stay away.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
8 Thank Katie W
Dear Katie W,

Thank you for the very detailed review of our hotel. I am very dissapointed to hear that things did not go well for you on this stay and that you were unimpressed. We certainly strive to make a much better guest experience for our guests.

Our hotel opened back in November of 2011, after spending millions of dollars on renovations. We have received many rave reviews from guests as well as the press, including being on the cover of Conde Nast Traveler as one of the Best New Hotels in the World for 2012.

While we are not your traditional high rise hotel as you mention, we do offer a fun, colorful and vibrant hotel with a great location in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale.

I am sorry we missed the mark with you on this visit, but when you return to Scottsdale in the future, we would love the opportunity to host you again.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best,
Alan Klein
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

This hotel was a first for me in many ways - meaning that after checking in, going to the room and entering the room... I turned around and checked out again. Why is that?
- the hotel set up is more like a motel than a hotel... You pretty much pull up with your car to your room door (ok, except, if you are on a higher floor)
- the noise level is high - and I am not talking about the nightlife (since I didn't stay long enough to experience this)... My room was right out to the street (very busy!), the windows were terrible, so that it sounded like there was no window at all
- the room itself is far from cozy... And not even cool. Ok, a boutique hotel may have some cool design, that is stylish and may not be very cozy - I understand and like that as well. However, this hotel room just seemed old and dated... Which makes the colorful design (which I admit lured me into booking this hotel) look just nasty.
- all that for a price, for which you can find much better hotels with a similar great location to Old Town Scottsdale.

Sorry for the harsh feedback - but as I said I have not been in a hotel before, where I decided to leave immediately, even if I could not get my money back for a few nights.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Theusdude
Dear Theusdude,

So sorry that you left us and were not able to enjoy the Saguaro. You are correct that we are not set up as a traditional hotel, as we have a rather large footprint surrounding two amazing pool areas. And, our parking (of which we offer complimentary Valet or you may self park) was set up in a way which offers convenience for our guests, so that they may be close to their guest rooms.

During our recent renovation we added many great touches to our guest rooms, including 100% cotton 400 thread count sheets, pillow top mattesses, IHome docking stations for your Ipad and Ipod, new flat panel 42inch LED Tv's and many other comfort features. In addition we added in some traditional hand crafted Equipal furniture from Mexico to give our hotel a sense of authenticity for the native surroundings.

I'm sorry that you left us before you had a chance to experience our full product and our great guest service, but hope that you will give us another try when travelling back to Scottsdale.

Thanks again for your comments.

Best Regards,
Alan Klein
Seal Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Just got off the phone with Adriana at the hotel. She honored a rate that I saw on their website this morning, that was a little less expensive than what i had booked yesterday. All this was done without me having to cancel my other reservation and rebook. Great service and I haven't even been there yet, but if this kind of service is an indicator of how they treat their hotel guests, I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience all the way around. Looking forward to our first visit there in a few days.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am so excited that Adriana was able to match your rate. We are proud of our "Can do" attitude and we strive to create a great guest experience with every interaction. I certainly hope you have enjoyed your stay here at the Saguaro hotel.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

My first impression of The Saguaro was of a garish color scheme and a complicated layout. The-room turned out easy enough to find and in comparison to other hotels - where it's an endless complicated trek from your room to the front desk - this was relatively easy to get around. I ended liking the room a lot and the bed was very comfortable. The electric outlets were well placed and the WIFI was free - a huge bonus these days where my biggest pet peeve is overpriced WIFI in hotels that are already charging over $150 a night. The gym was pretty good and I liked the pool area. Access to old town Scottsdale is great and though I didn't eat at the in house restaurant (Destrito), friends that did gave it a good review. One of our group ended up with a dodgy stomach after eating there and it may have been the shellfish - though one never knows for sure.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jurnee
Thank you for your review. The 12 colors used throughout the property represent the wildflowers which are indigenous to the Arizona desert. This certainly makes for a unique collaboration between landscape and architecture. I am delighted that you did not find our property as complicated as other hotels and that our beds are comfortable. I am glad you had the opportunity to take advantage of the "state of the art" fitness center overlooking the Picante pool. That makes for an amazing day as you have experienced. It sounds as if you had a great experience here in Old Town Scottsdale, certainly plenty ot do..............
Have are looking forward to your return.
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Saguaro is an old hotel that has been updated with a fun vibe - lots of bright colors and trendy furnishings. The rooms are descent sized with very good beds. The lobby bar is great with very good food. And, it backs up to Old Town Scottsdale for a great location. Overall, its a good hotel.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get a suite.