“Are we near the airport?”
Review of Saguaro Scottsdale

Saguaro Scottsdale
Ranked #46 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We found this hotel (really a motel) from an article in the globe and mail. We thought we would try it, given the great times we have had in Scottsdale in the past. Our first room which was facing the street, was noisy at first, but the air condition / heater fortunately was able to drown out the sound, as it had the intensity of a plane taking off. The staff were kind enough to switch our room for the following nights, which was better. But the new room's clock radio could not be set without an ipod, but no matter, as the cleaning staff talking outside our door at 8 am was our wake-up call. The toilet had the irritating dripping sound, providing a nice steady sound prior to sleep onset. The good news were that the beds were comfortable.
The property was well kept. The staff were very accommodating. The gym and pool were great. The location was great. On the whole, it was a reasonable value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the street. Make sure that the a/c heater does not sound like a tu...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ZuZu P
AKleinGM, General Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2012

We were so sorry to hear about the issues of noise during your stay. This great feedback has been shared with our staff as a training tool, so that we can learn and educate our team and improve. In addition we have sent our Engineering team to your room, to correct the challenges with the Alarm Clock and the toilet.

We hope you'll give us another try on your return trip to Scottsdale.

Until then,

There are newer reviews for Saguaro Scottsdale

Reviewed January 21, 2012

The location redeams this hotel. It is a block away from Old Town Scottsdale. I believe that this is a renovated hotel, but to me it seemed like a renovated storage unit with Ikea furniture. The bed was very comfortable and the the linens, towels, etc were nice, but the feel of the room was dank. I echo other reviews on noise, including heater noise. The way the room was laid out did not work and felt crowded. If they charged half the price the location would make this a great place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank snodog54

Our location is amazing, and thanks so much for the feedback on your room experience as well. We were happy to hear how much you liked our linens and the bed, and would suggest upgrading next time to one of our beautiful 1 bedroom suites for a bit more space and room to stretch out.

We hope to see you back in Old Town again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed January 15, 2012

Very disappointed, given the hype by others. First, the heat in the room cycled on an off like a blast furnace. The room was small, with one uncomfortable desk chair and no others. Sound from corridors was loud. 1970s tub. A few cutsie items (photos tacked to the wall, old movie camera on desk) couldn't disguise the fact that it's a very old place. Needed to contact the desk late at night. No answer. Had to walk over in person, to learn that the "Front Desk" button on the phones were inoperative. Left an item in the room, and the next day called the hotel to ask if they could look for it. When I didn't hear from them in a few hours, I went back myself, found a supervisor who opened the room (it hadn't been cleaned) and retreived the item. Hotel never did call me. Four stars service? I'd rank it as a decent 2 stars.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank GreenMountains18
AKleinGM, General Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2012

We strive to provide excellent service at The Saguaro and were upset to hear of your challenges with your heat and in contacting the front desk and locating your lost item. We will definately use your comments as an opportunity to better train our staff so that future guests do not have the same issues. We appreciate your feedback, and hope we will have an opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

i stayed the first month of opening so grated not all of the bugs had been ironed out, but I was expecting a four-star experience and was terribly disappointed. My room was only partially refurbished (still had holes cut in the wall, exposed wiring, old airconditioning unit from the 70's). I felt like I was staying somewhere old and dirty witha fresh coat of paint.The lack of a coffe maker in the room turned out to be a big pain. I woke up the first morning and noticed there was no coffee maker and the only option at my early wake-up time for coffee was room service. 45 minutes after I called my coffee arrived...and cost $16...a hefty price for a cup of coffee. For the next morning, I called the night before to have coffee delivered at a specific time. Only problem was, I mis-judged when I would wake up and my $16 coffee was ice cold when I woke up :( The next two mornings I sent my husband to Starbucks for morning coffee. The fire alarm went off one evening scaring my kiddos. On a plus note, the staff was very friendly

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Kzw2

So, sometimes you just have to say "Ooops, that wasn't right", and in this case it seems like we might have dropped the ball during our opening first few weeks. We are so sorry that there were still "punch items" not completed in this guest room, and that we just coulnd't seem to get the coffee right. I'm certain we have worked out the "kinks" and hope you'll give us another try.

Thanks for your feedback and we hope we will see you again in the future.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

I stayed here for business purposes immediately prior to the renovated hotel's official
Grand Opening.

I applaud the renovations, hope that they can be more supportive of business meetings moving forth, especially in their "conference" rooms (aka, add more power outlets for laptops!)

The staff has been nothing but supportive and friendly, they are obviously trying very hard to make this a positive experience for all, so I wish them nothing but success.,

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank travelsalot4fun

Thanks for the great feedback....and YES we absolutely want your business meetings. Feel free to give me a call and we can discuss your specific needs. We recently had a very large and prominent tech company in our meeting rooms and they gave us great reviews on our power needs as well as Internet speeds.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Absolutely love the hotel. Sure, there are fancier places to stay but never had I had stayed in such an upbeat, happy, FUN spot. Living in SF I'm well aware that Joie de Vivre trains there staff to be uber-friendly
( but sincere-not creepy about it) and since almost evey place I go has a wonderful "sleep system" and great pools and two-headed shower, blahblahblah..at the end it al boils down to service for me.

Check this out: Just one example of their superior hospitality: When my BFF and I were dying for some ice-cream late at night, she went in search of a score, which we thought would be “Mission Impossible” since the restaurant had closed. One darling server rustled around and proudly presented her with two cups overflowing with scoops of chocolate and vanilla ice-cream. When she took out her wallet to pay him, he said with a big smile, “No charge.” When she asked why, he said in a very Yoda-like tone, “Why not?”

You gotta love a hotel like that! Plus sooper reasonable prices, great location, and the food is fantastic!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool side room so you don't hear street noise
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Food-E

Isn't it great when a plan comes together. We were glad to hear that you and your BFF had a great Girfriend Getaway, and a score of some of our house-made ice cream (Yum!).

We hope you'll spread the word on the fun here at The Saguaro.

Come back soon....

Reviewed January 4, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay here. It is in a fantastic location, heart of Old Town Scottsdale. The rate was very fair and they accept AAA discounts - off season always helps. We took our bikes and were able to ride from the hotel to the bike trails - which are B level bike trails, but good if you just want to get in a leisurely ride. The staff couldn't be more friendly or helpful, ZERO attitude for a place that is making all efforts to be hipster. The design is a little overdone (I am in the interiors industry - so I can be more critical than most), but for the price it is excellent stay. Bed is comfortable. Room and bathroom were clean. Our room was a little dark, but we weren't there to hang in the room so it didn't matter to us. The breakfast was delicious (seriously the Omellete was perfectly cooked and great dark coffee) and reasonbly priced for a hotel. I kind of hate the $14.00 parking fee - rather they wrap that into the price, but the rate was so good, it was still a great value.

What impressed me the most was that the manager on duty took the time to notice our bicycle tires were low. He drove to his house, picked up his bicycle pump, and refilled out tires. I thought that was above and beyond - so helpful!!! We travel a lot and I am not sure I have ever had someone go out of their way like that! WOW! Give Phil a raise, please, that was extraordinary. Look, it isn't a 5 star hotel, but I would absolutely recommend it. I'll doubt I'll be in Scottsdale again, but I would book here for sure.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelhappytraveler

The staff and I really appreciate the great feedback on your stay with us. It is always good to hear positive comments about the team, and was thrilled to hear about your interaction with Phil....he truly is a gem! Thanks for giving us a try...and we know you will be back!

Best,