“Wonderful Week!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
SC
“Wonderful Week!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2007

Our family of 4 (2 teens) just returned from staying a week at the Sheraton Desert Oasis. We loved it! Our reservation was for a 1 bedroom with full kitchen. After reading here, I called ahead and requested a rollaway bed and the 3rd floor if possible. The pullout sofa would have been good for smaller kids, but with 2 teens it was best just for one person. The elevator stopped right outside our unit on the 3rd floor. There was a spacious balcony that overlooked the lovely mountains. The unit was clean and very nice. We were kind of concerned about the space, but it was arranged so that each area had privacy. I saw the smaller 1 bedroom unit and it would be good for a couple alone or maybe with one child.
The pool area was great for all of us--and needed in the 115 degree heat! There were lots of people, but it never seemed overcrowded. We enjoyed the hotdog cookout one evening (you could make 'smores too) and the boys got involved with some organized activities like water volleyball and video game time for teens. There were lots of activities to choose from...especially for younger kids. The pool provided pool towels which was an added bonus for me not having to keep up with wet towels! We ate a few times at the pool snack bar and found everything to be good. Free refills on soft drinks all day long.
Great location; Phoenix is easy to drive in and good spot to take day trips. We went to Sedona, Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater. I had hoped for wireless internet in the room, but it was only available in the lobby/bar area. But it was quiet in the mornings and there was coffee! The grounds were well-kept and lovely; the staff were helpful and polite. We've used our timeshare week at other places across the US and we have to say this one rates at the very top.

• Liked — Nice resort atmosphere
  • Disliked — no internet acess in room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank reviewmomsc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Mesa, AZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2007

For those that come to Arizona for vacation...beware. This is the desert and Scottsdale and Mesa fall heavily into Scorpion territory. They love Queen Palm Trees and Orange Trees. Wherever you go, you may find one or many. The Bark Scorpion is translucent and his sting can be deadly or not so bad (worse for kids and small dogs). Scorpions are everywhere, although some areas in the Valley, you will never see one. It's a good idea to not walk around in bare feet, but no resort will ever tell you that.

Other than that, I thought this was a terrific place. We just told the timeshare people we live here and were not interested in attending. Said and done.

Not a bad place for a nice weekend stay.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank SuzInAZ1950
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2007

We were given a week at this resort for our honeymoon as a wedding gift. We had a wonderful time. At check-in when they found out we had just been married they upsized our room from the smallest to the largest for free. They also have more older folks than young couples to they seemed to have a great time spoiling the honeynooners! The ladies at the bar by the pool kept giving us doubles in our drinks!
There were kids around but since we went when school was in, there weren't too many.
The condos were so lovely we stocked up the kitchen and ate in sometimes as well as going out to the nice places in scottsdale. The staff was very helpful in selecting great restuarants...You HAVE to go to Flemings...
It was a dream honeymoon.

• Liked — Wonderful service
  • Disliked — roudy kids
  • Stayed September 2004, traveled as a couple
4 Thank melissarose82
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for a week in late April and we loved every minute of it....Very convenient to all the highways.
There is a great supermarket (Frys) down the road so you can stock up on goodies...Plenty of good restaurants in the neighborhood and lots of shopping. The pool area is really well done with a quiet pool for only adults. Not far from the Arizona Casino and the Arizona Diamondback baseball team. Took day trips to Grand Canyon, and the Apache Trail also, Sedona nearby. Loved every minute of it and will definitely return to this resort in the near future.

• Liked — Sheraton has the best beds in the industry.....Loved the accoodations
  • Disliked — Could use a full scale restaurant on site.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank roeposti
Lenoir, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at the Desert Oasis. We found the staff to be friendly and attentive. Much like on a cruise ship every employee you passed greeted you. At check in the desk clerk was gracious about finding us the quiet and shady location that we requested. The pools and grounds are beautiful and extremely well maintained. The best kept secret is the Oasis pool what they refer to as the "quiet pool". It is separate from the huge main pool. It is for adults only and is surrounded by beautiful trees that filter the sun and make for pleasant pool sitting. Overall a good experience. Sure, the concierge was pushy about trying to get us to go to a sales pitch but he also provided us with wonderful maps of the area, made our dinner reservations, etc so it was worth it to talk to him. It is not a full service resort, but actually condo apartments so if you are expecting the amenities of a full service resort you will be disappointed. But if you want a really nice place to stay in a great location and at a reasonable price, this is the place for you. We would go back in a minute!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank NCNanaToo
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2007

Got a sweet deal from Priceline (more than 1/2 off the reg room price). Website says check in starts at 4pm. I got there at 3:45pm and front desk lady interrupts me and says that "check in begins at 4pm". It was only 15 minutes difference, whats the big deal? She said she could check me in if there was a room available. There was.

After assigning me a room, front desk said I had to talk to the conceirge lady behind me to get "free coupons and maps of Scottsdale". Ya, right. Conceirge is a fast-talking pushy salesman trying to get you to attend a sales presentation for some time share BS. No way. I ignored the conceirge while she kept shouting at me "Sir, Sir, Sir, I need to speak to you, sir.". When I got to the room, it was very nice - clean and a great location facing the pool and waterfall. Resort gounds clean and comfortable - amazing heated pool/hot tub and waterfall.

Conceirge continually called every morning and asking to sign me up for a time share presentation. I ignored the numerous calls and messages left on the room phone answering machine and my cell phone. VERY PUSHY! For God sakes, leave me alone - this is supposed to be a vacation. Definately will NOT stay here again - every though pool and room were nice. Front desk and conceirge need a change in attitude.

Stayed May 2007
6 Thank ScottBanks
seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2007

My husband, our fifteen year old and I stayed at the Sheraton Desert Oasis for two nights during our sons spring vacation. We were pleased with the room despite it being very small until check-out morning. My husband thoughtfully decided to pick up the comforter that had fallen on the floor during the night and yelped in pain. I walked in the bedroom and he said "Something just stung or bit me." He lifted the comforter corner and saw a live scorpion! He rushed to grab some tissue, carefully picked it up and dropped it in the toilet. I immediately called the front desk and their reaction was (I should come down to the front desk and they'd give me a copy of what to do if this happens). My husband had burning, stinging and redness that lasted for two days. Not what you'd expect staying on the 2nd floor of a resort. We had our doors screens shut tight the entire time. My husband is a big guy 6'2 and 235 lbs. What would've happened if a small child or elderly person had been stung? No real apologies from the hotel manager or staff. We'll never stay there again.

• Liked — seperate bedroom
  • Disliked — scorpions in room/in bedding
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family