“VERY PUSHY conciege for sales presentation”

Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, IL
“VERY PUSHY conciege for sales presentation”
Reviewed May 20, 2007

Got a sweet deal from Priceline (more than 1/2 off the reg room price). Website says check in starts at 4pm. I got there at 3:45pm and front desk lady interrupts me and says that "check in begins at 4pm". It was only 15 minutes difference, whats the big deal? She said she could check me in if there was a room available. There was.

After assigning me a room, front desk said I had to talk to the conceirge lady behind me to get "free coupons and maps of Scottsdale". Ya, right. Conceirge is a fast-talking pushy salesman trying to get you to attend a sales presentation for some time share BS. No way. I ignored the conceirge while she kept shouting at me "Sir, Sir, Sir, I need to speak to you, sir.". When I got to the room, it was very nice - clean and a great location facing the pool and waterfall. Resort gounds clean and comfortable - amazing heated pool/hot tub and waterfall.

Conceirge continually called every morning and asking to sign me up for a time share presentation. I ignored the numerous calls and messages left on the room phone answering machine and my cell phone. VERY PUSHY! For God sakes, leave me alone - this is supposed to be a vacation. Definately will NOT stay here again - every though pool and room were nice. Front desk and conceirge need a change in attitude.

Stayed May 2007
6 Thank ScottBanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
seattle
Reviewed May 12, 2007

My husband, our fifteen year old and I stayed at the Sheraton Desert Oasis for two nights during our sons spring vacation. We were pleased with the room despite it being very small until check-out morning. My husband thoughtfully decided to pick up the comforter that had fallen on the floor during the night and yelped in pain. I walked in the bedroom and he said "Something just stung or bit me." He lifted the comforter corner and saw a live scorpion! He rushed to grab some tissue, carefully picked it up and dropped it in the toilet. I immediately called the front desk and their reaction was (I should come down to the front desk and they'd give me a copy of what to do if this happens). My husband had burning, stinging and redness that lasted for two days. Not what you'd expect staying on the 2nd floor of a resort. We had our doors screens shut tight the entire time. My husband is a big guy 6'2 and 235 lbs. What would've happened if a small child or elderly person had been stung? No real apologies from the hotel manager or staff. We'll never stay there again.

• Liked — seperate bedroom
  • Disliked — scorpions in room/in bedding
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
13 Thank sthied
Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 8, 2007

A mini apartment with full amenities in a great location for a great price. Will most likely stay here again.

We couldn't understand why north Scottsdale prime location offered all these amenities for $111/night. The full kitchen and laundry stocked with every imaginable serving utensil, gadget and kitchenware is a great touch. Lots of space, balcony, jacuzzi in the bedroom, double basin sink bathroom with dual shower heads, 2 tvs, dining area plus snack counter, living room, fireplace, ample closets, etc.

However, when we arrived, we figured it out - there's an aggressive ownership sales campaign going on. The concierge peppered our voice mail daily to encourage us to visit the lobby for ownership info, while we continued to avoid the "welcome package," free continental breakfast with area vendors and other time taking events. All in all, it was easy to avoid the sales pitch and just enjoy the amenities and property. No high speed Internet in the room made business difficult, but the data port allowed a dialup connection.

The jacuzzi tubs are loud - I had difficulty sleeping one night because the guest above me liked late night hot tubbing. Other noise factor is average. Beds are comfortable. No sit down restaurant or bar, but in this location, there are plenty of spots you want to visit! The full kitchen allows you to stock your room. Limited service allows you to not worry about the gratuities all day long. Pool is great! A minor annoyance for those who don't like confined spaces is the self-closing doors between all the rooms.

At a higher price my rating would drop, but I loved this value and felt safe, convenienced and comfy.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank JessOllen
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 14, 2007

My husband and I stayed here during the TPC golf tournament in February, 2007. Officials estimated that over 400,000 fans were at the course over the week to watch the players. We couldn't have been more pleased with this resort, especially during this very hectic weekend. This resort is within walking distance of the golf course which made it very convenient. Our suite was very comfortable and clean, although a leaky bathroom faucet was very annoying. Maintenance were quick to respond but they could not fix it unless they shut off the water to the building. We just let it go.

Small, nicely furnished kitchenette, large bathroom, two tv's and a great patio. The pool was wonderful (we were pleasantly surprised at the 80 degree weather in January) and it had a nice snack bar/bar nearby. They only thing we didn't like about it was the lack of a restaurant on the premises. Many people like to cook in their suites, but when we are on vacation, we like to eat out. We didn't notice a restaurant within walking distance either, but we could have missed it.
Even with this minor inconvenience, we will stay here again when visiting Scottsdale which is at least once a year.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No restaurant
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lanpd
Long Island, New York
Reviewed March 27, 2007

We stayed in the smaller of the one bedroom suites, okay for 2, but would be crowded for a family with kids. The unit was well furnished and in excellent conditon. The staff of the Sheraton Desert Oasis are tops! They always greet you with a smile, and are very warm. The resort sponsered breakfasts were very good and informative. We booked 2 van tours at one of the breakfasts, no pressure to do so, but we were glad they had presenters there. We loved the tours, one to Sedona and the other the Apache Trail. Both were excellent, scenic, and the drivers had great personalities, 2 good days.
We were surprised the weather was as cool as it was, the low 60's most days. The pool and hot tub grotto were nicely heated and very comfortable. A nice feature was that their exercise room machines all had built in TV sceens and standard jacks for personal headsets. That made the minutes go by more quickly. Their equipment was top-notch, clean, and they supplied an ample number of towels, water cooler, and sanitary wipes.
The location of the Sheraton Desert Oasis was convenient, just off 101, a direct drive from the airport, and in easy driving distance to 2 Native casinos. We loved the nearby Cheesecake Factory, and Chipotle Grill, which we used for frequent takeouts back to the condo. Figure on gaining a couple of pounds!

• Stayed February 2007
5 Thank Ron P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2007

This is a timeshare resort on the very outer edge of North Scottsdale., close to loop 101.The developer , as usual, has squashed as much as possible into his few acres of space. No luxury lawns , golf courses or tennis courts here-just the bare necessities. But there is a good pool and jacuzzi, and the buildings are all low rise with some scattered trees and shrubs to give a little shade and a lot more class.

We were in a one bedroom condo close to the pool. It had ample room for one person and two could live in it for a few days –but the four it was advertised to hold would have had to be pigmies or to enjoy living like sardines. It had no cooker, only a microwave, until we complained when a portable two burner magically appeared. There were cutlery and plates for four people but only one saucepan., which necessitated some abnormal culinary creativity.

The complex seemed well run, Everything worked and hotel staff were attendant to our queries. Surprising when you think that this must be just about the cheapest complex you can find in upscale Scottsdale. In the time share real estate world one week in a two bed roomed at the Desert Oasis goes for around 4000 dollars. Down the road at the Four Seasons a similar apartment goes for five times as much.

As usual with a timeshare resort there are lots of games and events you can join in, if you are so inclined. And the freebie managers reception was very well attended.

Luckily we obviously looked so rough that we rated no timeshare hustle at all .

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank roger39
Tucson, Az
Reviewed March 17, 2007

My husband and I recently went up to Scottsdale for a relaxing getaway. We booked the hotel on lastminutetravel and got a smokin deal on it. When we arrived, we found out the hotel is acutally timeshare sales. We both were worried about pressure to buy, but that was never even mentioned. The rooms are wonderful. We were in a one bedroom villa. It is like a mini apartment! The beds are pretty comfortable. The staff is wondeful. They are friendly, helpful, and as stated before, not pressuring at all. The pool was also great. There is a giant waterfall going into the pool. This is a wonderful place for people to go with kids also. There is a playground for kids and a splash zone as well. I would definitely go back to this place! It is wonderful! A word of warning- no restaurant and the food at the pool bar is just average pool bar food.

• Liked — The friendly staff, the pool and the rooms.
  • Disliked — The fact that there was no restaurant on site.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple