“Very Disappointed”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bayonne, New Jersey
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I was very disappointed by this resort. First, I mainly picked this place because of the reviews on RCI and Trip Advisor but I was not pleased at all with this resort. I am still confused on why its rated so high on both the Timeshare site and TA. My review would be more pleasant if it was rated a little lower but my expectation was pretty high on this resort. We first checked in and everything was great. The lobby was nicely decorated for the Christmas Holiday. Check in was fast and we was off to our room. We got a little confused because there is only 1 main elevator and our room was on the other side so after we found our room with no help from any of the non english speaking staff we walked into the room and it was ok. We had a 1 bedroom with a partial kitchen. I called this resort before booking and ask them what was including in this partial kitchen and they told me a fridge, microwave, toaster, dishwasher, a small sink and a 2 burner stove. When we walked in the room the first thing I noticed was a portable hot plate not a 2 burner stove. I let that good because my husband and I walked with our griddle since we drove in from NM which was only 7 hours away. As I walked into the room I also noticed how old and worn down the furniture was and even a good size stain on the sofa. The bed in the room had to be a full size because it was very small. We decided to make the best of the trip but then when I went into the bathroom, I noticed black mold growing in the shower. I was not happy at all. I called the front desk and instead of offering us another room (since they wasn't busy at all) they just called the housekeeper to bleach it. All of this happen in just the first night. The second night wasn't any better. There was no hot water in the room all morning and we had to take a cold shower. I know the weather had dropped over night but come on. A hot shower was all I wanted out of my stay vacation. To make matters worse, we ended up checking out the Starwood presentation and the rep starts telling us how outdated the rooms are and they are in the process of remodeling all the rooms and showed us what one of the rooms will look like in the future which I can honestly say would make this resort a upscale resort but as of right now its not. The only thing it has going for itself is the fact its in Scottsdale, its near a golf course and AZ weather is normally lovely year round.

Room Tip: Try to get something closer to the stairs or if you have a lot of stuff to bring up to the room then...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CeCeVacation
SDOManager, Manager at Sheraton Desert Oasis, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Dear CeCeVacation,

Thank you for your feedback.

First, I want to apologize for the issues you have experienced. We take all of our guests’ comments to heart, and we are deeply concerned about what was mentioned.

We always want to rectify any issues or negative experiences for our guests, and want to do everything we can to address your concerns directly with you. Would you be so kind as to reach out to us at your earliest convenience by calling our main resort phone number and asking to speak to the Manager on Duty, so that we can work toward a resolution?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

SDOManager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had exchanged our unit in Alberta for a vacation down south. Front desk staff was very friendly and the conceirge helpful in directing us to amenities but along with that comes the sales pitch on purchasing a timeshare. We told them we had no interest in purchasing another. Every day for three days there was a message left on our phone requesting that we come to one of their presentations. I have an ill parent and every time I saw that light, my anxiety rose. The unit amenities were very nice, clean, a little tight in the eating area but otherwise very pleasant. Although the weather was a little cool, we were able to enjoy the hot tub. The complex is beautifully landscaped and maintained. I tried desperately to leave my work at home and didn't bring my cell but had wifi access to e-mail. A business emergency came up and I had to make several long distance phone calls and did not have time to go buy a calling card. The business was time sensitive and needed to be expediated. I checked with the hotel directory and no where is there any indication of costs associated with the calls. Because of the urgency, I made the calls. When we went to check out, the bill was for $246.00 USD. Just a connection is $10.50. I made 11 calls, 5-less than 3 min for a total of 51 min. OK for use of phone for their purpose but use it for yourself, they rake you over the coals.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the third floor facing east overlooking the pool. Nice because you get the m...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mysteriousmusic
SDOGM, Manager at Sheraton Desert Oasis, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear mysteriousmusic,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We take our guest feedback to heart and always want our guests to enjoy their time with us. We are saddened to hear that we added to what must have been an already stressful event. There are telephone price cards (while not in our diecrtory, it should have been right next to the phone). However, due to the urgency of work related issues we can understand that the price of the calls may have fallen secondary at that time. We would like to speak with you directly about your experience to see what we can do to enhance the future guest experience. Please feel free to call me directly at the hotel in hopes you can give us the 5 star rating we always strive towards.

Thank you again for your time and feedback,

Tiffany Halstead
Sheraton Desert Oasis, Scottsdale, AZ
480.515.5888
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I decided to stay in Scottdale for week before going up to Sedona for Thanksgiving. We did know anything about the Sheraton Desert Oasis and used Tripadvisor to help us with our decision. All the great reviews were right-on. Great place, with beautiful grounds, great heated pool and whirlpool and very comfortable deluxe 1 bedroom unit.

The unit was very comfortable with a small but fully appointed kitchen, a dinning area, living room with big screen TV, a large master bedroom with a king size bed and whirpool tub.. The staff was very friendly and provided great recommendations on area hiking trails, sights and restaurants.

We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Scottsdale is a big city and from this location you must have a car.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Warmest greetings Fern11181967!

The holidays can be hectic, so our sincere thanks for a wonderful five star review! We rely on our guest feedback to ensure fantastic service and are pleased you may help a future guest with their choice to stay with us. We hope you will continue your visits with us for the years to come and hope to see you again soon!

Many thanks,
New York NY
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton Desert Oasis over Thanksgiving on an 11-day one-way road trip (Dallas - Los Angeles)

We did not want to be on the road on Thanksgiving Day (as we were last year on our 11-day one-way road trip from New York City to South Florida). The thought of another Thanksgiving at a highway interchange was not going to happen. We wanted a "villa" and we wanted to cook.

We are loyal Starwood Preferred Guest members and we realize that Sheraton is the entry level in Starwood's portfolio however the cost savings for this property was the key driver in our decision. We figured we would have other nice resorts on our itinerary and we didn't need to pay a huge amount more for a villa in a super high-end resort when this would be adequate.

Sheraton Desert Oasis is more than adequate. Yes, the Sheraton bathroom amenities are somewhat basic but everything else was first class. Every member of staff was very pleasant and professional. The fully stocked kitchen was second to none. The Fry's supermarket just up the street is probably one of the best supermarkets I've ever been to (great wine selection too). Housekeeping is among the hardest working I've ever encountered.

Pool area is very nice. I've stayed in a number of resorts in the Scottsdale area and there are a number that I've yet to stay and want to give a try. With this trip, cost containment and kitchen were decision drivers. The Sheraton Desert Oasis has a slight feel of a bit more of a suburban condo complex versus a full-on resort but that is fine. There is a time and place for the full-on luxury resort and a place for a nice villa in a good location and with a nice pool.

The "villa" was excellent and we loved it. To boot, the General Manager, Cassandra Wilkins, was on-site on Thanksgiving Day - there's a nice touch. I suspect that at most hotels the GM is on "do not call unless the place is burning down" on Thanksgiving Day.

Free parking. Free wi-fi throughout. No resort fees. Beautiful pool. Up to date furnishings. Fully stocked kitchen. Wonderful staff. Good location. Exceeded our expectations in every way.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MoreFFmiles
Dear MoreFFmiles,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy traveling schedule to share your recent experience with us! It sounds like you were able to enjoy a peaceful and relaxing stay which is what we like to hear! We hope that you will visit us again the next time you come to Scottsdale, knowing you'll be able to recover from a long road trip in our desert oasis.

Warmly,
Cortland, New York
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Very clean, large rooms,quite,great service,good location/ near 101,;Large outdoor pool & hot tub;barbecue facilities, game & exercise rooms,only downside was privacy space between the buildings,while sitting on your balcony.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear TakeTimeTo,

Your comments are much appreciated! We strive to keep our beautiful resort as clean as possible and to deliver exemplary service to all of our guests. We are glad that we were able to provide an enjoyable facility for you to be able to enjoy all that the area has to offer!

Come see us again sometime!

Best regards,

Yorkshire, England
Reviewed December 2, 2012

August 2012, me and my family and grandparents came for 3 weeks driving around Nevada and Arizona. Our time in Scottsdale was brilliant, the staff were very friendly and professional. The pool is fantastic including the waterfall and the fabulous whirlpool jacuzzi. The atmosphere was great, it felt very friendly and classy. Even the pool side bar serves delicious food and refreshing drinks. Pool sports and games were also wonderful to get involved with. Suitable for families or couples. I particularly enjoyed the movie night as it was a new experience that I loved! The rooms are big and spacious, modern and comfortable. Fab jacuzzi and full kitchen, flat screen TV that we watched our 'Team GB' on as the Olympics was on. Nice double shower too :) We visited places such as Tombstone, Rawhide and best of all, Grand Canyon. Sheraton Desert Oasis was a great base and 5 star worthy. Thank you for an amazing holiday!! :D

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Katy E
Dear Katy E,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us! We are so delighted to hear you had a great time in all aspects, and were able to enjoy all that the resort and area have to offer.

And you definitely picked some great locations/attractions to visit while you were here! Tombstone and Rawhide definitely are fun places!

We hope you can visit us again soon!

Best,

Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Ok property. Not upscale at all. On par with a Hampton Inn, except you get a kitchen and washer dryer.
You must have a car to stay here. No food/shopping for 2 miles min. So you'd walk a lot without a car.
Bring your key everywhere, pool/gym always locked.
Not a lot of sun at pool so chairs in sun go fast.
Not much storage in small 1 bedroom, so be prepared to live out of your suitcase.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Nikki B
Dear Nikki B,

Thank you for your comments. We certainly value all feedback we receive from guests.

I apologize that your stay did not meet some of your expectations, especially with regards to the location. Although we are situated in a very desirable and convenient location near the Scottsdale Corridor, we do understand that the wide selection of dining, entertainment, shopping, and recreation options are around 2 miles away and can be difficult to reach without a car.

We do offer a grocery shuttle conducted by our resort at a certain time, and there are many options for taxicabs in the area, of which our front desk or concierge staff can arrange.

In terms of the pool area and fitness center, we do keep them locked for safety reasons.

Again, we thank you for being our guest. If we can ever be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to let us know.

Warmly,