“Well Maintained and Comfortable”

Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston
“Well Maintained and Comfortable”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We very much enjoyed our stay at the resort. We had a large one-bedroom condo through our RCI timeshare ownership. It was extremely comfortable - from the well-equipped kitchen to the quality of the bed. Really enjoyed the large walk-in shower with two shower heads, too! We requested an upstairs unit to avoid the potential of having a family with small children constantly running over our heads. They were happy to accommodate us.

While the resort is certainly not at the top end of the spa and resort luxury experience that can be found elsewhere in the Scottsdale area, it is quite nice and thoroughly enjoyable. The location is also great with easy access to major highways.

Now for the two negatives: Do not fall for the $100 gift card offered through the concierge desk. It's so not worth it. We had to suffer through well over 90 minutes of a timeshare hard sell with 'Janie' who would not take no for an answer. Never again! Also - the advertised internet wireless service simply did not work in our condo - and we were quite close to the office. Neither my laptop or my husband's I-pad could connect. Multiple calls eventually resulted in being ignored by the staff.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
SDOGM, Manager at Sheraton Desert Oasis, responded to this review, September 10, 2011
Thank you for posting your comments about Sheraton Desert Oasis on Tripadvisor. Of all the great properties to stay at in Scottsdale, we’re happy you chose to spend your vacation with us! We’re pleased you found our location and ‘home-like’ feel accommodating. I’m also happy we were able to meet your request for a top floor villa. We strive to meet all requests in hopes of providing our guests with the best possible stay. I’m saddened to hear about the lack of internet connection in your villa and apologize that we weren’t able to correct that for you during your stay. Please know it is always our intention to correct issues brought to our attention and I’m so sorry we fell short in this case. Thank you for providing such valuable feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the desert oasis in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
New York
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We just returned from the Sheraton Desert Oasis, we stayed there from 8/19 through 8/26 and we really enjoyed our stay. I want to start by saying that we arrived early around 12:30pm and I was told by the front desk that our room was ready and that we could check in and go to the room. That was a nice surprise since we had an early start from NY and the kids really wanted to go in the pool. Since I was travelling with 2 childen, one boy age 10 (my son) and one girl age 12 (who are not related, just friends) I asked if I could upgrade just to give us a little more room. I was told that they were full and that we would not be able to upgrade. As I was disappointed I did understand that upgrading was based on availablility and so I did understand. After receiving the key to our unit we went to the room so the kids could change into their bathing suits for the pool. As soon as we walked into the room I noticed the one bedroom is somewhat small for the three of us but I was sure we could make due. Once inside the room my son complained of the smell of cigarettes and I smelled it as well. Immediately I knew I had to change the room as the smell of cigarette might trigger his ashma, so I returned to the front desk and explained my problem. A manager was on duty and overheard my problem. She informed me that it would not be a problem to change rooms, I also mentioned that the room was rather small for the three of us and would like to possible upgrade, if a bigger room becomes available. She advised me to go and have lunch and give her some time to see what she could do. I left my cell number with her. About 30 minutes later she called and told me she had an upgrade for us and that the room was ready as well. The upgrade was well worth the 30 extra dollars as we did the need the extra room. The manager was extremely helpful.

The 1 bedroom with full kitchen is large and and clean. The room is well maintained and decorated nicely. The king bed was extemely comfortable and the full kitchen was a plus as I was able to cook breakfast and make lunch on the days we were not sightseeing. The bathroom was clean. The shower had two shower heads which was a nice touch. Although I did not use the jacuzzi it was nice as well.

The pool is large and clean as well. The kids and I had a great time enjoying the pool especially since the weather was so hot. We always found lounge chairs and umbrellas no matter what time of the day we went. The quiet pool was just outside our unit balcony, which was an added pleasure for me. I enjoyed sitting out there in the morning reading while while the kids were still asleep. I watched every morning someone taking care of the pool, cleaning and making sure clean towels were out. The free wi-fi was definately a plus as well as the computers and printers in the main lobby. The kids enjoyed some of the activities the Sheraton did offer to them, they especially like the ice sodas and sundaes..Great touch!

The resort is not so large that it is difficult or an inconveniece to get around, but just the right size. There are a few supermarkets close by. There are also pleanty of restaurants and fast food places to eat. My only compaint about the resort is that there are no restaurant on site and the pool grill closes early, but as I mentioned there are enough places within minutes of the resort to get something to eat.

All in all the Sheraton Desert Oasis is a wonderful place to stay while visiting Scottdale. I would definately stay there again as well as recommending it to others.

Room Tip: As for the room upgrade if you are travelling with more than one child
1 Thank alt1my
SDOGM, Manager at Sheraton Desert Oasis, responded to this review, September 3, 2011
First and foremost, thank you for a wonderful review and 5 star rating of our resort! Your review is very informative and paints a great picture of what we strive for here at Sheraton Desert Oasis. I’m so pleased our Manager on Duty was able to provide a more comfortable villa for you and your family to enjoy for the week. The full kitchen and the extra space make all the difference sometimes. You’ll have to visit us again soon so you can take advantage of the jetted Jacuzzi tub-very relaxing after a day on the town. Our Director of fun will love to hear that you enjoyed our onsite activities. During the summer months, the ice cream social and root beer floats are our guest’s favorites, as well as water volleyball at the main pool. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to provide you with another wonderful stay in the future!
San Jose, California
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We thought this is a nice resort but it all went tumbling down when we woke up on our third night of our supposed to be 7night stay with the fire alarm sounding like crazy. Checking all our rooms to make sure that nothing is on fire. Pulling out plugs thinking the rooms is overheating. Turning on the vent in full blast thinking it will help but still could not sleep finally called the front desk informing us that its alarm failure. But having it three times from 1 to 3am is just unbelievable. Finally morning comes told them that we are checking out because of this and was told that just to leave the keys and call the front desk when we leave. Finally when we are all pack ready to move to JW Marriotts Villas which was newer and bigger when front desk informed us that they could move us to nearby Westin. Its just too late we made all the arrangement and the 3 hours of packing and a last minute thing offer and the nightmare of fire alarm that never stop is not my thing.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Cecille22
SDOGM, Manager at Sheraton Desert Oasis, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We sincerely apologize for the experience you incurred during your stay with us. We are deeply concerned and understand that while the stay began on a positive note, the interruption form the fire alarm resulted in us falling short of a great and memorable vacation experience.

Arizona’s dust storms, some of the largest we’ve had in years, were unexpected and unpredictable which presented new challenges for us as a resort. Unfortunately this storm damaged the fire panel in your building causing the alarm to sound sporadically throughout the evening causing stress to you and your guests. It is a priority here at the Sheraton Desert Oasis to ensure our guests are not only safe but also feel comfortable during their stay. We assure you we take our guests’ satisfaction very seriously and would appreciate the opportunity to reconnect with you. Again, our sincerest apologies for this incident. We look forward to making this right and winning you back as a valued owner.
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We booked a bonus week at SDO even though friends thought we were crazy to go to Scottsdale in August! The main pool was the winning feature - it was large, clean, not too loud, with lots of choices for sun-shade-partial shade...we spent some time every day at the pool, loved it! We had a one-bedroom unit; it was mostly quiet and had a nice balcony overlooking the quiet pool. I was surprised by the smallish size of the bedroom and kitchen area; after reading other reviews it sounded much bigger. Storage was adequate, and it was really handy to have a washer/dryer in the unit, but there could have been more storage overall. By the way the bathroom was huge, with a spa tub, really nice, but kind of silly since it was probably as large as the kitchen/eating area??? The bed was also OK, but not as nice as I expected having read the reviews about the great mattresses. The unit was clean, but was getting a bit dated, made me wonder if there were renovations plans in the future.
I agree with the review about the extremely slow internet; I had some work to do and it was frustrating to do even basic things online that required lots of wait time.
We also enjoyed the food service at the pool, the food was delicious and fresh, the drinks were well made, and the price was reasonable for this level of service and availability. You need to have a car to get anyplace beyond the resort for shopping or eating out. It would have been nice to have a few choices more near by. We did enjoy walking around the park complex across the street, lots of playgrounds and soccer fields; we walked at least a mile every morning - very nice and safe. There was adequate parking so no problems there. That being said, the restaurants and shops that were within about 5 miles were great and filled every need we could imagine. I would definately stay here again, even in August - the pool and the great service made it a keeper for us.

Room Tip: Everything you need to cook is in the kitchen, sofa is a sleeper, but the one bedroom would be crowd...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SAR415
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I want to give Sheraton Desert Oasis 5 stars but they have a little way to go - at least for what we are seeking in a resort. After extensive research for quality accommodations, we settled on SDO and adjusted our week so we could have a unit with a full kitchen. Cooking wasn't the focus but kitchen size correlates with bed size. For relaxation and comfort, we wanted a king-size bed so a full kitchen was the way to go.

After making the reservation, I called twice to be sure they did not spray air freshener, sprinkle carpet freshener or add any other chemical based scent to the room when it was cleaned. Not only is it unhealthy for the average bear, it is an asthma trigger for me. We arrived and confirmed our fragrance issue at the front desk and was assured housekeeping had it all under control. I believe them when they say nothing was sprayed in the unit immediately prior to our visit, however, it had been liberally treated with the "Sheraton Scent" so many times before, upon opening the door, we were greeted with a pungent aroma - reminiscent of moldering apricots; it was like a punch in the face. My husband doesn't have asthma but he found the odor unpleasant. We put our luggage outside so it wouldn't absorb the smell and called for help; thankfully, Kimberly came to our rescue. She was wonderful! Kimberly took us to two other units - one worse, one better. We obviously took the better one and with an ionizer in the livingroom for a few hours, it turned out to be quite liveable. If neither of those places had worked, she was prepared to take us to several other rooms and even offered to employ steam extraction if we felt that the upholstery and carpeting was harboring the smell. Our vacation could have been ruined right then but Kimberly rose to the challenge in a very professional, responsible manner. The following day she called to check up on us and when she learned the bed had sleeper dents making it quite uncomfortable, she had it switched out immediately. Again, very responsive. No place is going to be perfect but when something goes wrong, I want a Kimberly to make things right. Super job!

We really like this area of Scottsdale. Anything we want is pretty much 8 minutes away. Trader Joe's, Wholefoods, Capital Grill, White Chocolate Grill, electronics, clothes, forgotten sundries, spa services, movies, even some quality sightseeing opportunities - so close! Only about 30 minutes from Sky Harbor Airport too. Excellent location!

The resort is intimate and well laid out. Although located in the center of Scottsdale, we felt secluded. The landscaping, which includes two pools, a variety of mini-mountains and waterfalls, and my personal favorite - fruit bearing lime trees(!), was effective at setting a resort tone. The fitness center is small but we never had to wait for machines and although the front desk said SDO was at about 99% capacity, it didn't seem crowded at all. Concierge was informative and while she did invite us to the timeshare event, she was respectful when I expressed my regrets and didn't push. Good choice because pushing would have annoyed me and I never would have gone. This way...maybe next time I will attend.

The one bedroom unit is quite spacious for two. Not feeling cramped or confined encouraged relaxation. Some of the furniture is a bit puzzling though; fairly new and in fine condition but too large for the space. Two huge pedestals support the glass dining table, dining table chairs ALL have arms, one of the living room chairs is 3 feet across! A sideboard of sorts is used for the TV but it being so high, makes the viewing angle from the couch awkward. We put one of the dining chairs out of the way near the front door so we could move around more easily.

Now for the reason SDO didn't get that 5th star - poor technology. We like to create our own entertainment experience in our bubble of seclusion. Computers, ipads, ipods, itunes, Netflix and Hulu - we want to be able to watch what we want, when we want it on the screen of our choice - this was the most frustrating and unsatisfying portion of our trip. The internet is way too slow. Even if one doesn't stream real time video, the service is completely inadequate. Download time for an itunes rental movie was 23 hours! On a wired connection! To add insult to injury, the HDMI ports on the TVs are "trapped" so even legally purchased rental movies from itunes couldn't be watched. Fortunately we had the proper cables to use the VGA and audio ports but using a pc instead of the smaller ipod or ipad is kludgy. Admittedly, moving itunes files can be a convoluted process to begin with and the lack of friendly connections on the TVs made it all worse. If you are a Luddite or spend most of your time out and about sightseeing, please feel free to add a star as the dismal internet service is irrelevant to your vacation satisfaction.

Yes, the review is long. I want SDO to do well as they are really working at it and it IS a wonderful place to relax. I plan to return if/when the internet situation is resolved. (The reviews and responses I read prior to this visit led me to believe the internet issue would be fixed by now.) Either the upgrade is done and service is still inadequate or it isn't finished yet. I'm hoping for the latter. As for the TVs, the front desk indicated that they are also undergoing an upgrade and the "trapped port" problem will be fixed. Woo hoo!

Now if we can just get Sheraton to understand that no one ever refused to stay at a hotel because it didn't smell like chemical fruit or flowers BUT they have been known to refuse rooms laden with these irritating substances. "Signature Scent" is sooo last century. Today is all about "Go Green" and "Less is More." Lose the scent and upgrade the infrastructure and Sheraton Desert Oasis will get 5 stars from me and lots of repeat visits. Thanks again, Kimberly and all the other staff who cheerfully respond to our needs and give the entire resort that well cared for look.

Room Tip: you might want a top floor. Unless elephants are staying above us, the ceiling/floor is a little thi...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TurtleTells
SDOGM, Manager at Sheraton Desert Oasis, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us such wonderful and helpful feedback! We definitely strive to be outstanding and hope when you choose to return we will have accomplished and overcome our shortcomings to get that perfect score from you!

We are sorry to hear that the room was not scent free upon your arrival, but we are so pleased you got to meet Kimberly and experience the great customer service that we take such pride in!

We also love our “Oasis” feel that you are able to escape and able to relax in your own little world. However, when you are ready for a great night out, you are just around the corner from everything that Scottsdale has to offer!

We are still working to complete our technology upgrade and hope it is completed very soon! We know how important it is to you to stay connected and will soon be offering speeds ten times faster than we currently offer. Best of all, it will continue to be a complimentary service to you.

When you are ready to visit us again, please do not hesitate to reach out to us and we will update you on our newest improvements!

Thank you again for taking the time to share your vacation experiences with us and we hope to be of service to you again soon!
Newcastle, UK
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Have stayed at the Desert Oasis twice now and would go back. The rooms are well kept and clean, the kitchen has all that you could need and the jacuzzi is a nice touch.

The food is good, but we often went up the road to Frys Supermarket and stocked up on king crabs legs! The nearby Cheesecake Factory is also well worth a visit of two.

We used it as a base, hired a car and went to see the sites of AZ, whilst it was a great base, I could not imagine staying here for a 2 week vacation- i personally would get a little bored. During one of our stays we stayed part at the Desert Oasis and the other in the Valley Ho, was nice to experience 2 different hotels and locations within Scottsdale

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
SDOGM, Manager at Sheraton Desert Oasis, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Greetings! Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. I’m happy to hear that you’ve enjoyed TWO great stays with us! We agree, it’s very convenient having Fry’s grocery store right up the road so our guests can grocery shop and take advantage of the kitchens in the villas. We’re in a perfect location to restaurants and various activities nearby and it sounds like you took full advantage of all Scottsdale has to offer. We’re looking forward to welcoming you back for a third stay and providing you with more fond vacation memories.
Chicago
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We stayed at the Sheraton Desert Oasis in a two bedroom lock-out unit. We got in really early (11 am), but the staff was able to get us in one of the units right away so we had a place to relax. Our concierge, Chuck, was friendly and very helpful. We did sign up for the timeshare tour since the benefits were really good ($100 gift card + more) and although it went almost 1/2 hour over, it was not a hard sell and we were able to walk away without a hassle.
The unit itself was very nice! Furnishings were new and clean, the kitchen had great appliances, the beds were very comfortable (best of all, the sheets fit!) and the balconies were big enough for us to sit out at the table. We had a great view of the "quiet pool" which we actually spent more time at than the larger pool. It was so hot while we were there that the large pool was very crowded and it was difficult to find chairs if you came after lunch. The quiet pool was a great alternative however. It was shaded with enough sunny spots to catch some sun if you wanted to tan. The crowd tended to a more middle-age set that was interested in their reading materials, but my 15 year old son enjoyed himself none the less.
While here, we did go on the Desert Wolf tour as well as hike at nearby Pinnacle Peak. Early mornings tend to be crowded, so you may have to park on the street near the entrance.
While the resort is not within walking distance of shops and restaurants, there is a huge variety of both just a short drive away.
Overall, we loved our stay at the Desert Oasis. There were fun activities (put a lime into the cup for a free margarita and a movie by the pool were some of them). We wouldn't hesitate to come back.

2 Thank dlzim
Hello and thank you for your wonderful review of our resort! I’m so happy we were able to get you checked in early so you could begin your vacation with us. The Quiet Pool is a prime location and is one of our most highly requested areas, I’m so happy you enjoyed it. We also appreciate your comments about our fellow team member Chuck, he’s a great asset to our team! Pinnacle Peak is a lovely hike and it sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed the sunny outdoors as well as activities offered here on property. I always get jealous when I see our guest’s having so much fun at the margarita putting challenge-I want to go out and join in! I’m so glad to hear you had an excellent stay and will be back. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and please don’t hesitate to contact us if you wish to request the same location for your next stay.