“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #31 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
union, nj
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed October 18, 2006

On October 12 and 13, we spent 2 nights at this resort. It was better than we expected. The front desk was very attentive and seeing my disappointment with a standard room overlooking parking lot, assigned me to a large room with a patio that had a wonderful view of tall palm trees, lush greenery and shrubs and was several feet from the south pool area. It was relaxing to sit on the patio and drink coffee in the am. The grounds with the 2 pools and fountains were beautiful. We had a nice dinner at En Fuego, sitting on their patio in the evening under a painted sky. It was a short drive to the shopping area and Old Town Scottsdale. I'm allergic to feathers and when I called the desk complaining about the comforter and pillows, housekeeping came within a few minutes and changed everything. We used the computer in their lobby to print out our e-ticket. Front desk, Lauren and Elizabeth were both pleasant and very accomodating.

• Liked — beds were great, large room 2 sinks
  • Disliked — 1st floor
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank betcon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 27, 2006

I checked into the Doubletree last Friday night for a one night stay on business. I am a woman, I was traveling alone and yet the front desk still sent me out into the darkness with suitcases to navigate my way to my room. When the clerk was showing me how to get to my room on the map he handed me, I asked if there wasn't something closer and he replied "Oh it's well lighted ... you're going to love your room." Suffice it to say that it was not well lighted, I had to walk all the way around the pool area and past several resort buildings, dragging a suitcase, garment bag and laptop computer on a path that was decidedly not well lighted (think low dim mood lighting on the ground). When I finally got to my room, and dragged my luggage up the stairs (I couldn't find the elevator I was told was there), I opened my door, and didn't see the spiderweb until I had walked through it into the foyer of the room. After a few seconds of *&%$?!! and tears, I pulled myself together and went further into the room.
As for the room that I was going to "love," it was nothing special. Just your standard resort room. Certainly not worth feeling alone and abandoned on a long walk in the darkness.
I would not stay here again, unless I was arriving during the daytime, and probably not at all. I certainly don't recommend arriving at this property at night.

• Tips/Secrets — Arrive during the daylight.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank sgh4ra
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2006

Rooms and grounds are excellent, each with a small patio. Food slightly better than average and priced about right. Could not believe they still want to charge for an internet connection. Staff very frliendly.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Athens, GR
Reviewed April 30, 2006

The property and the grounds are top notch. The rooms are large, clean and the bed is one of the most comfortable I've slept in. Great architecture and interiors. Free wireless internet only available near lobby. Otherwise wired internet available in rooms for a fee. Breakfast experience was so-so mainly due to inadequate service. Otherwise staff very friendly. Close to downtown Scottsdale, shopping and restaurants - though not walking distance - nothing is out here!
Highly recommended hotel.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank Trinnypilot
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 2, 2006

I saw some questionable reviews about the Doubletree so I went not knowing what to expect. The property is a little older (40 years old or so), but the landscaping, pool areas, overall condition of the rooms, restaurants, and everything else were just outstanding. It would have been a good deal for $50 more per night than we paid. The room was large and clean and had a great balcony that we ate on. It had a separate changing/makeup area that my wife utilized without having to take up the bathroom! The location is close by every major attraction that Scottsdale has to offer. Breakfast in the restaurant was fresh and tasty and not a bad value for an expensive area. The only shortcoming was that the tiles in the bathroom were a little dated and grungy around the edges.

• Stayed March 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
highlands ranch colorado
Reviewed March 30, 2006

My teenage daughter and I stayed here for 5 days over spring break. We are picky and very finicky, and previous reviews had us a bit concerned about our stay. We booked this due to it's close proximity to the ASU campus, shopping, airport, etc. We were beyond pleasantly suprised. The accomodations were superb. We did not experience noise/housekeeping issues that other guests mentioned other than an occasional next door guest entering or exiting with a slam of the door. We stayed on the inner pool area/playground of the hotel and honestly even with the patio open, noise was virtually non-existent. While we did not dine at the hotel (opting instead to try the fare at the many local haunts) we did order room service on two occasions. We found the food to be a good value and fast. We called on the services of the bellboy (delivering baggage), the front desk (for items we forget to pack), the concierage service (for rainy day places of interest) and room service. Each person we encountered was helpful, courteous, and well versed in their job. (We even got a bit of insider ASU information from one of the room service personnel!) We are well aware that everyone's opinion will vary, but from our standpoint, we had an absolutely delightful stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again (if our daughter is accepted at ASU!).

• Stayed March 2006
16 Thank rjs321
Hampshire UK
Reviewed March 29, 2006

Stayed here one night on the last night of our tour around Arizona. Got a fantastic suite - we did have problem with air conditioning noise at night but reception said nothing could be done till the morning, but as we had space the size of a small house it didn't really matter we just shut off that room overnight! We overlooked the pool area.(there are 2 pools)The pool we used was large, pleasant gardens with numerous sunbeds etc and a pool bar but the bar shut at 5 pm which was too early. We dined in the hotel restaurant in the evening,nice atmosphere,food was very good and reasonably priced.Service was slow but OK the waiter was just too busy and 3 requests to turn the patio heater on were ignored completely..We also had to queue for 20 minutes for our buffet breakfast.
The hotel facilities are ok, we used the gym and the business centre (3 free internet access computers)although it was full and it was a Saturday so don't know how busy in the week..
Gym charges 3 US$ for a workout. Clean rooms, friendly staff - just not enough of them .

5 Thank mollina01
Travelers also viewed these Scottsdale hotels
Hyatt Place Scottsdale/Old Town
Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas
The Scott Resort & Spa
The Scott Resort & Spa
#29 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale? Share your experiences!