“Beautiful property but room shows it's age”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale
Ranked #29 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Meeting location for an out of town group. Check in took quite a while. There were two people at the desk and probably 10 people standing in line. I'm assuming I just happened to get there at a busy time. The actual check in went quickly and then off to find my room in the maze of buildings. The 3 days I was there I got turned around more than once and ended up coming out in the wrong place. I wasn't even in one of the far away buildings. The grounds were beautiful. When I found my room, I opened the door and the entryway was dirty. There were flower petals and visible dirt. I'm assuming they just forgot to clean that area because the rest of the room was fine. The room does show some age. The tile in the entryway and bathroom had some chipped areas. The carpet wasn't completely adhered to the floor and there were some wrinkles that were obvious when you walked across the floor. The next day when I came back from the meeting the entryway had been cleaned. I did have lunch in the hotel restaurant and the brick oven pizza was very good. The rest of the time I ate out at restaurants. There are plenty of places to eat up and down Scottsdale Rd. There is a CVS a couple of blocks down if you want to pick up snacks. Overall none of my negative comments would keep me from staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Maysen, thank you for selecting our resort and for this overall positive review and ratings on your stay. I do apologize for this delays at checkin and the cleanliness and maintenance issues in your guest room. We have reviewed with the management team and they will address those items. We appreciate your feedback and for your intent to return to our resort on your next visit despite these issues. We look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

I found this resort to be refreshingly unique and relaxing. Beautifully maintained grounds, quiet surroundings, and private patios make for an enjoyable stay. Everyone on staff was very professional and attentive. I would highly recomend this property when staying in Scottsdale.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Douglas U

Thank you, Douglas, for being with us and for this positive review and high ratings on your stay at our resort. We look forward to our next opportunity to be of service to you again when your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

First off thank you to Hilton Honors for all your help !! I booked my room 5+ months in advanced and requested a king bed, I was told that upon check in I could request one and it should not be a issue. Upon checking in we were told that all that was available was a room with two queens (queen size is putting loosely) and that in the morning to come to desk and there would be a king bed room available for the remainder of our stay. WRONG we went to front desk first thing and was told no sorry nothing available at all?? By all means this hotel was not booked up!! I called my Hilton honors and they were able to get the hotel to move us to a king bed room! hum ?? Amazing?? The breakfasts there were very nice !! The bar??? Couldn't get our order right for appetizers first of all and took over 30 mins to bring the wrong thing!! I could go on and on but will stop and only say never again.

1  Thank Jeneen M
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Jeneen, thank you for selecting our resort for your stay in Scottsdale and for this feedback on that stay at our resort. I deeply apologize that we failed to provide you with the King bed you requested and that we only seemed to be able to make it happen with the help of Hilton Honors. I also apologize for the bar service issues you experienced. I have reviewed your comments and addressed these issues with the managers and team members involved. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you that they have been properly addressed so as to not reoccur and that we are worthy of your business and loyalty.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Reading some of the reviews makes one realize how picky people can be. I would love to be invited to their homes to rate their property. Hotel is well maintained. Pool and recreational facilities are in good condition. Service is excellent. All employees are respectful of property and guests. What is there not to like.. We will be back next year.

1  Thank 582brucef

Bruce, thank you for being with us and for this very positive review and high ratings of your stay at our resort. We appreciate your many compliments and look forward to seeing you again next year, if not sooner.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Excellent facility. This was my second stay at the hotel and plan on returning during my next visit to the Phoenix area. While I enjoyed the stay...this survey that you have asked to fill out RIDICULOUS. I'm doing you a favor and you and asking to submit 200 charters. Please get back to me on this as this now changes my view on the experience I had at the hotel!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you Keith for being with us again and for this positive review of your stays at our resort. We appreciate your business and look forward to the next opportunity to be of service to you. We do make guests aware that we appreciate their feedback, whether directly, through comment cards or through websites and social media. I am at a loss about what issues occurred with your review on TripAdvisor that would change your opinion of us but definitely want to understand and address. Please contact us and help us understand. Thank you again.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

We have stayed at the Double tree Reid Park in Tucson several times to watch our daughter play softball and always enjoyed this hotel. When we had a few extra days to travel to Scottsdale this time around, we decided to try the Double Tree again. We had reviewed comments on trip advisor about trying to get a courtyard- pool room close to the lobby and requested this in our reservation. Upon arrival ( we were early) Jessica told us we could wait for a room at the north end of the property or we could go to another room closer to the lobby. Not knowing the property, we chose the closer room. After getting to the room and walking the property, we realized we had made an error in judgement. The grounds are beautiful and the walk to the north end is really nice and not really that far. We went back to the front desk and again saw Jessica. She was great in changing our room with no hassles- while not yet ready she offered to call us when it was.
The free wifi was excellent and the breakfast buffet which was included was more than we anticipated. Would definitely look to stay here again.

Room Tip: Really any room that faces the courtyard gardens and the two pool areas are great. The grounds and g...
1  Thank Rummer1516

Thank you for selecting our resort and for this great review and high ratings on your stay. We appreciate the many compliments and the great example of service and flexibility of Jessica to meet your needs that helped make your stay so enjoyable. We look forward to being of service to you again on your next visit to our area.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I prefer to stay at Hilton properties because you usually get what you pay for with Hilton properties. They are not cheap, but they are not cheap in the other sense of the word either, usually.

For a location that is billed as a resort and charges resort level prices, I have an expectation that this would be an above average hotel.

Considering that no room had no heat and I slept fully clothed to stay warm, and the shower handle falls off in my hand, and the free wifi is mostly no wifi, well this wasn't below average, this was among the worst places I have ever stayed.

Of course, lousy parking, badly lit passageways, just add to this gem of a property. Drab, filmsy bed covers, and room décor from a period from a long time ago, made the whole visit very difficult to reconcile with the premium rates. Of course, with heat instead of the ice cold constant super blast from the jet engine sounding ventilation system, maybe the light bed covers would no have been such a big deal.

When checking out, the clerk asked how my stay was, and I told him. I guess he's used to it, because he was seemed completely unfazed, and said that he would tell someone about the faulty heat.

Would you like to rent a movie, something recently released to DVD that you can buy down the street for $15? Well, why not rent it for $18 here at the Doubletree "resort".

Who watches over this sort of stuff? I've stayed 2 Marriott resorts in the area, and you would think that you have been dropped onto some magical planet where everything has been suited to your comfort. Here at the Doubletree, I was wondering if I was being punked, and when I checked out, they would show me the big Howard Johnson's motor sign.

Room Tip: If there's a good room option, I didn't see it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank John M

Thank you for being with us and for this feedback on your stay at our resort. I am terribly sorry for the issues you experienced during your stay! I have reviewed your comments with my management team and they have addressed the room issues as well as how it was handled at the front desk. We apologize that we failed to meet and exceed your expectations of a Hilton and provide value for the price you paid. We will increase our efforts to do so and hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you better.