DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale
Ranked #29 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Cincinnati, Ohio
“very impressed”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I just wanted to drop you a quick note regarding our recent stay at the Double Tree in Scottsdale. I have a general philosophy regarding a business and customer service, and it is this… the sign of a well-run operation is not so much how things run when everything goes well, but more how issues are taken care of when they don’t.

Our stay with you started on a sour note. After traveling across country all day we arrived at the front desk about 10:30 PM only to be told there was not a room available for us. Without going into a tremendous amount of detail about the inconvenience and stress this put on my wife and I- I will simply say that your team stepped up to the plate and simply did a wonderful job taking care of a not so wonderful situation. To my opening remark regarding my philosophy – you can be, and should be, very proud of your team.

Except for the opening night snafu – our stay with you was exceptional. Everyone on your staff was polite, professional and attentive – giving specific shoutouts to, Jennifer and Matt at the front desk, Michael the bar tender at the ‘2nd pool’ all the valet staff and Kathan in the restaurant… when we are back in the area will most definitely consider staying with you again.

Thanks again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you for selecting our resort and for this very positive review of your stay at our resorts. I apologize for the surprise and inconvenience with which we began your visit but am so very glad staff was able to react, respond and make up for the initial issue. I will pass on the compliments you provided to those specific team members that made the difference as well as the whole team for the philosophy insight provided. We look forward to the next opportunity to be of service, hopefully again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Oak Forest, Illinois
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Very rarely do I give a bad review, but this hotel warrants it.

I gave it an "Average" because we did encounter some nice employees...most especially the valets and the bellmen AND the property itself is very nice and clean and out of the norm for a Double Tree. The grounds are well kept and the rooms are very clean. And that is about where it ends.

We stayed for 2 nights on rewards points and paid for one night. I always like to believe that when you travel so much that you are able to accumulate 60,000 points for a stay at a Double Tree that you would get some preferential treatment. After all, 60,000 points translates to $600 or $300 a night for a room. Unfortunately, that is not the case here.

The tone was set when we checked in to a not-so-friendly desk clerk. She informed us that they didn't have rooms available and then took our cell to call us. This was at 1 p.m. At 6 p.m. we still had not received a call. We were informed that they were just finishing up the room now. We specifically requested a QUIET ROOM. When we got to the room, it was located facing the kiddie playground and south pool (which closes at midnight). The room also had an adjoining door. We requested to move and were told that they were at 100% and no other rooms were available for that night and the "other pool with the bar is usually the noisy area, so we should be fine".

In a nut-shell we went out for the evening and returned to a drunken teenager brawl in the parking lot and then a loud, pool party until midnight. At 5 a.m. we were awakened to the ladies in the adjoining room, blow drying their hair, listening to the tv at full blast and hearing every descriptive detail about their face lifts and how it would have been cheaper to buy sunglasses.

We asked to have our room moved and this didn't take place until 6 p.m. the next night and the room was a downgrade from what we had. However....it was quiet. It was at the rear of the property and was extremely dark at night. I did not feel comfortable walking around by myself and the rooms are all outside entries that are tucked in to little nooks.

We travel over 100 nights a year for both business and pleasure. We are extremely disappointed that after several complaints including a conversation with a hotel manager, that absolutely nothing was done to make our stay any better. We will seriously reconsider booking Hilton properties in the future, since there really is no reward for loyalty to their Brand Hotels.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms face the fountain or one of the rear courtyards.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bordenbunch
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for being with us and for this feedback of your stay at our resort. We thank you for your loyalty as a Hilton HHonors member and that you selected our resort for your reward stay. I deeply apologize for the issues you experienced. Your comments have been reviewed with our management team for their followup to address these issues. Beyond that, we would welcome an opportunity to make amends to you both.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The first thing you need to know about this place is that it is HUGE!! Ask where your room will be at check-in or be prepared to walk. This complex takes up an entire city block. As others have noted all rooms have outdoor entrances. As for the rooms, were greeted by a very musty, damp smell when we entered. We opened the door and sliding glass door to air out the room until the a/c unit (which had been turned off) took over. Bed was big and comfortable - as well as the pillows. The bathrooms were small and a little cramped. The bathtub seemed to be extraordinarily sloped toward the drain and I nearly fell the first time I stepped into the tub. One very strange thing happened while we were trying to fall asleep one night around 11 pm. We were on the second floor (top floor) and for some reason there was someone walking across the roof. I have to assume it was a hotel employee because they seemed to be moving with a purpose. It lasted only a few seconds, but if it was a hotel employee that was a strange hour to be up on the roof. There are two pools at this hotel and both have bars. However, it was unseasonably cool when we were there and we did not use the pools.

Room Tip: Stay close to the front of the hotel if you don't have a car.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for being with us although I am so sorry that it was cooler while you were here and you did not get to fully utilize our pools and other outdoor amenities of our resort and area. I also apologize for the intial mustiness of your room and the late night footsteps on the roof. I have passed your comments onto our engineering and housekeeping managers for their follow up. We do hope that you can return soon, as now we have consistent sun and temps in the 80's, in order to more fully enjoy all we have to offer.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The rooms have outdoor entrances which make some people very uncomfortable because of safety. Room smelled musty, but was spacious and quiet (on 1st level of 2 stories). Location is close to Fashion Mall, restaurants and central Scottsdale.

Room Tip: Very large complex with rooms scattered away from hotel lobby
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for being with us and for this feedback on your stay. Obviously, our goal is to be much more than just average and apologize that we did not create a better experience. In fact as a Doubletree by Hilton AAA Four Diamond resort in Scottsdale, we must consistently deliver high quality services, product and amenities to our guests. We do hope that you will give us another chance to do that for you.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 15, 2013

In February I stayed at the Double Tree Resort for a 2 night business trip. I was working in Phoenix, but the Scottsdale area was recommended to me. There is fantastic shopping and dining very close to the property; it was an easy drive for me. In order to enjoy some Arizona sun I arrived early and the staff was able to let me check in right away. It was a treat to spend an afternoon by the pool reading. My room was a comfortable size and I found it to be very clean. The bed was very comfortable. I never did find my keys to the mini-fridge, but maybe that's a good thing! ;) Prior to booking I had not realized all of the rooms had outdoor access, so solo female travelers, like me, may find this a bit uncomfortable. The parking lot and breezeways could be lit much better in order to ease some of my concerns about this.

The first night I ate at the Mexican restaurant that is onsite. The waitress was very friendly and had also helped me find the fitness area earlier that day (by the way it was kind of far from my room and the location was down some stairs and dark – another thing that as a female traveler is concerning). Unfortunately my food was not the best - I had salmon, the ‘special’ that night, and it was kind of cold in the middle and undercooked. I ate around the edges and felt full so I decided it wasn’t worth it to complain at the time. Since I wasn’t paying for my travel expenses personally I would say this resort met my expectations in general, but if I were paying with my own money I think I would look elsewhere in Scottsdale. There is better value out there. I am going back next week and will be checking out one of the Hilton resorts in Phoenix.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for being with us and for this feedback on your experiences at our resorts. We are pleased that you enjoyed your room, the service provided by our staff and caught a bit of "me" time at the pool. Although there are restrictions on lighting in our area, we do have approval in our capital budget to enhance and replace exterior and landscaping lighting this year. I also apologize for the issues you experienced with your meal and will pass this onto our Chef to address. We know that there are many options out there, but do hope that you will give us another opportunity to do better on your next trip to our area.
Cut and Shoot, Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We stopped over in Scottsdale and booked one night here. Resort property well maintained and colorful. Bryan helped us with our luggage. I was looking for our room when Greg, head of housekeeping and Nevena, housekeeping supervisor directed me to our room. Greg even carried my bag. Everyone here on staff exemplified competence, professionalism, and friendliness. Am sorry we were just here for the one night. Did I mention the delicious chocolate chip cookies and bottle water on check in? The water was useful yesterday as the terms moved into the mid 90s. I even got a cookie on checkout.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for being with us and for this very positive review of your experience at our resort. It is a shame that you could only spend one night with us but all the more reason to come back again soon. There is just so much to explore and do, in the resort as well as the immediate area around us. We do hope that you will be able to return soon and for a longer period to fully enjoy what we have to offer.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Spent one night at this resort using HHilton Honors points. I would say that it is nicer than your typical DoubleTree. We had a pool side room with a king-size bed. I was struck how spacious the room was. I found the bed and pillows to be extremely comfortable. I thought the property was clean and well maintained. The temperatures were on the cool side so the pool area was relatively deserted. The north pool was closed for a private event ... but, again, no desire to swim with the cool temps. There was a conference going on so the lobby bar was was overrun with conference attendees. The walk to Old Town for dinner was quick and easy (15 minute walk) ... and we could have used the shuttle option if we wanted, but prefer to walk. Concierge was helpful in planning where to take in a spring training game. If I ever go back to Scottsdale, I will definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: We were pool side ... overlooking the south pool. There was a kids playground just outside our patio...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for selecting our resort for your visit and for this very positive review of your stay. We do hope that you will return to enjoy our area and, when you do, that you will give us another opportunity to be of service. With the way that winter is going this year further East, you may want to return again sooner than later and be able to use the pools and other amenities that you did not use this trip. We are having consistent sunny days with temperatures in the 80's now and are willing to share it with others to beat the bitter winter blues.