“This place needs to update it's technology and security on the premises”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale
Ranked #29 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Biggest downfall about this place is the lack of wi-fi in the rooms- I was there on business and felt silly having to go to the lobby to get wi-fi for my tablet and other wireless devices. The second but probably more important feature missing is the lack of light around the resort in the various walkways around the property. I stayed in a room towards the back of the property and I felt unsafe walking from my car to my room and from my room to the lobby due to the lack of lights at night- although this place is in a very wealthy area, it is not a gated property so anyone can walk onto the property and potentially hide out in one of the many dark corners around the property to cause harm- this lack of lights was not only noticed by me but also by my coworkers who stayed there as well. The grounds on the resort are otherwise beautiful and well-kept and the rooms are spacious.

• Stayed: November 2012
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you for being with us and for this feedback on your stay. We are glad that your stay went well but sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced in wireless access and in lighting throughout our resort. We are in the process of installing our upgraded high speed wireless solution in all our guest rooms. For the last several months we have been installing all the cabling and access points throughout our 378 guest rooms and 22 acrea property. This has taken longer than we thought but this cabling should be completed this month, with installation of equipment and getting the system up by the end of the year. Enhanced lighting is also on our capital plan for 2013. We do hope that we will see you again on your next visit to our area and that you will notice the improvements we continue to make in the areas you noted. Thank you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,069)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a pretty hotel, although it does show its age. I had a room all the way in the back of the resort, so it was a brisk 5 minute walk to the lobby. The grounds are lovely and well kept. The room was functional enough. The lack of inroom internet was a big turnoff, and made it difficult to do any work. I did hang in the lobby a lot to use the free wifi, but this doesnt make it conducive to business.
The front desk was overwhelmed at times, but that is just a staffing change needed. They were always pleasant and earnest. The valet guys are fast & friendly.
The pool was deserted- but gosh, some poolside beverage service would have been appreciated. It was a pain to walk to the restuarant to get a beverage. I would have spent more.
The dining was good; I found the salads wonderful
Overall, a decent hotel for a decent price. However, I will not return until there is Wifi in the rooms.

Room Tip: avoid the rooms all the way in the back- unless you have a car- then you can drive to them and avoid...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for being with us and for this decent review of your stay. We are currently finishing up cabling the all 378 guest roomst for wireless high speed internet with broader bandwidth. This project should be done before the end of this year, just in time for you to return and check it out. I have passed your comments onto our Director of F&B Outlets as we should be providing poolside service from the restaurant or the bar whenever someone is out there. We apologize for both these issues and they will be addressed. I am glad that the rest of your time with us as positive and you enjoyed the amenities, food and service provided by our staff. We hope to see you again after the first of the year.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Fantastic hotel. Service was top notch. There are two large pools on the complex. Free parking. Had a patio. Rooms were very large. Right near shopping and restaurants. would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the parking lot, so if you can request one with a view of the courtyard wh...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Thank you for selecting our resort and for this excellent review of our accommodations, amenities and the service provided by our staff. We look forward to being of service to you when you return. Keep us in mind when the winter gets a bit tough in Michigan and know that you have a warm home away from home to escape to.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

The couple of smoking rooms they have are relegated to "the back of the bus". Balcony faces the parking lot and street. Both swimming pools are totally non-smoking. Also, outside dining is non-smoking. Needless to say, other than the cost of the room, we didn't spend any money there.

As far as the room itself, it was good size and nice. Don't know why the mini bar was not only locked but zip-tied closed. How many hotels DON'T want you to use the mini bar??? Has digital TV but strange free channels. Two wine glasses were provided but only cardboard coffee cups. We asked for REAL drink glasses for the wet bar and bathroom but didn't get them until 2 days before we left. Only 7 hangers in the very large closet. Two people staying for a week definitely need more hangers. Small dresser so completely unpacking wasn't an option.

As far as the front desk and valet -- service was courteous and friendly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Thank you for selecting our resort for your visit and for this feedback on how it went. I do apologize but, like everywhere, it is becoming more difficult for smokers to find a place to light up. More and more resorts are going completely smoke free but our Doubletree Resort by Hilton continues to offer smoking rooms, albeit they do need to be located so as to reduce the impact to other guests. With so many guests being nonsmokers as well as the growing concerns of second hand smoke and heightened sensitivity to allergies, it is getting more difficult to designate specific areas for smokers. Regardless, we will reevaluate those designated areas and try to find the balance that can better accommodate both sides of the issue. Despite this, I do hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future to be of service to you and you'll find that your feedback helped us in this regard. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

good location old town scottsdale only 15 min walk .went for a true western night at rustlers rooste country and western music and a lovely t-bone steak good .
rooms were good and clean bed comfy .
shop in the lobby and restaurant which we didn,t use the restaurant but others said was good .

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you for selecting our resort and for this favorable review of your stay. Sounds like you had an authentic Arizona Western experience in Olde Town Scottsdale complete with music, dancing and a big steak! We hope that you can return again to our area and our resort as there is so much more to do at both. I would highly recommend a jeep tour in the desert, where you can learn more about the desert wildlife, plants and history. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I think that calling this place a resort is a bit of a stretch, it may have been resort like when it began, now it is just a sprawling hotel, that is dark and kind of creepy. I was traveling alone on business. The hotel is really spread out with lots of dark corners to hide in. The house keeping room not far from my room did not have a knob on the door, sometimes the light was on, sometimes it wasn't, that room was right by the ice machine so when I went to get ice, it was really kind of creepy. I also used the workout room, which was really pretty nice but again, really creepy for someone there alone. there was no one manning the desk and I did not see any cameras. Aisde for any "bad guys" lurking, there is the thought of someone drowning in the hot tub, which could not be seen by anyone in the main area. They charged $9.95 a day for WiFi, but I learned that this is common in the area. The room had a mini-bar, but no refridgerator or microwave, being that I was there for 6 days, those things would have been helpful. The restaurant is way over priced for what you get. THe bar is nice and the bartenders are nice. One of my biggest pet peeves nowadays is the whole helping the environment thing; throw your towels on the floor if you want them replaced, hang them if you will use again. NOBODY ever seems to follow this. I hung my towels everyday and everday I got new towels. That is not just this hotel, but most that I stay in now. I was disappointed with my stay at this Hilton Property, I understand from colleagues that I would have been better off just down the street at the Days Inn.

Room Tip: Rooms on the outside are noisy. One side is a major street the otherside is the parking lot.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for being with us and for this feedback on your stay at our resort. I apologize that we failed to live up to expectations. As our property is spread out over 22 acres of beautiful gardens and private clusters of guest rooms, we need to take even greater care to provide a map, directions and assistance for our guests in locating their rooms and other amenities thoughout the resort. We need to take greater care to locate women traveling alone or guests who have a challenge in walking closer to the main lobby. I apologize that this was not accomplished during yoru stay but we will address with our team to ensure that we do a better job in delivering this care. We also need to show we care enough about sustainability and conservation efforts to ensure our team follows our programs. This too will be reemphasized to the team. Thank you for your business, feedback and, we hope, another opportunity to show you in the future we are better than this.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I arrived at a busy DoubleTree Resort after dark and on alighting from my coach I received a chocolate chip cookie from a member of staff as a welcome, nice touch I thought.
The Resort/Hotel is two storeys and the lay-out of the rooms are such,that you are issued with a small map along with your swipe key.But,as it was dark and I chose to carry my own luggage it was difficult to see the map,so I basically followed the signs and other room door numbers.
After a while I eventually found my room,and a nice room it was.Two large beds,wide-screen T.V.,coffee-maker,Iron/Board and a safe deposit box.The en-suite was a good size with a plentiful supply of fresh,clean towels.The extractor fan was a bit noisy,but it did it's job.
There is complimentary use of computers in the lobby area.For dining there is a large restaurant called EnFuego and also The Loggia lounge.The Palm Cafe is available for casual breakfast outside the lobby area.The resort has a complimentary shuttle on the hour from 10am to 10pm.
The Doubletree is situated in a very nice area and has well cared for gardens.I really liked The Doubletree Resort and would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: It is difficult to find your room due to the lay-out of the Resort.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for being with us and for this positive review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your room as well as our gardens, complimentary shuttle and our food and beverage outlets during your stay. We do hope that you will return to our area again at some point in the near future and, when you do, we will see you again at our resort.