“Very pleasant and relaxing”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale
Ranked #30 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Cork,Ireland
“Very pleasant and relaxing”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed 9 nights at the Doubletree and really enjoyed the quiet and relaxing atmosphere. Great pool facilities and service. Friendly and helpful staff right through from reception, concierge/shuttle driver, restaurant staff, coffee bar staff, cleaners, pool towel guy, maintenance man, and pool bar service guy, each one could not have been more helpful.
On top of that add free parking, free wifi (around reception) and free business center with 4 desktop PC's and printer. And must not forget to mention the beautiful and very well maintained gardens.
Two things that would have made the facilities perfect would have been an in room refrigerator and in room wifi, but given the already very good price/quality it would be picky to say these were significant issues.
This was actually our second time making a long stay at the Doubletree in Scottsdale, we also stayed for 5 nights in 2009. Things often do not seem as good second time around but that was not the case for us. Our most recent trip exceeding our expectation.

Thank you Doubletree Paradise Valley!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms with balcony facing the gardens recommended, Rooms farther from reception are qui...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for coming back to our resort and for this very favorable review. We are pleased that all went so well with your stay and that you were able to enjoy and relax. We appreciate your compliments of your room, the pools, courtyard and, most of all, of the service and positive attitudes of our staff. This is our most important asset and strength and it really is great when the team hears a job well done. I will share and celebrate it with the team. Thank you again and we do hope that we will see you again if and when your travels bring you back to our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Maricopa, Arizona
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed for a TWA Silver Wings Convention from October 4--7, 2012. Although we only live 45 minutes away, we decided not to drive at night or after partying.

Hotel Room Review: On October 4th we arrived early dye to our convention hosting commitments. Our room was not ready until almost check in time--not an issue at all. When we entered our room, it was large and very clean with no issues. The layout of the room was great. Two queen beds, a sink/bar which is always very handy. Some HDTV channels were also available. Overall, it was quiet and comfortable. During our stay we had a bathtub drain issue. I reported it and it was serviced ASAP. This was something that housekeeping should have had corrected. One rare feature or the bathroom was the real powered vent fan! Joy to have the stream removed.

Convention Review: The Hotel's parking lot was ok during the week. Once Saturday arrived with a wedding and convention, parking spots became rare. The layout of our meeting room was nice and big. A great room for what we were going to do. See photos. The Banquet Room was large as we were not crowded together. Before the Banquet, we set up our room decorations.

Hotel Catering Service Review: On October 5th, we had an evening cocktail party. They forgot or whatever to serve all of the agreed/paid appetizers. Additionally a glass of wine was $9 while the Hotel's Happy Hour offered a larger glass at $5. The cost of the $9 wine did NOT cover the appetizers as that was part of the convention agreement. As to the Convention's Banquet, the food was the terrible! I have reviewed well over 300 places including two other Silver Wings Conventions on Tripadvisor since I became a TA member. The food service here was the worst! We ordered the Pork Tenderloin and it was served warmish or very cooled off. For other Hotels Convention Events, the Catering Service had the serving plates COVERED to keep the meal hot or at least warm. Here, the meals were opened to the air to cool off AND that they did! About 40 years ago, I was introduced to US Mexican Restaurants. It was love at first bite--the food was served on HOT plates that kept the meal HOT. Many cooks and hotel/restaurant staff attempt to serve what could be a great meal--only to recieve poor reviews on COLD meals. There are many ways to ensure that a meal is served HOT but too few venues actually do this--warm plates with a cover. If a US Mexican Restaurant during a crowded Saturday evening can do this, Hotels should be able to match that level of service! If you're planning a wedding or event at any Hotel, it might be wise to include a performance clause on food service. Since Hotels DEMAND attendance guarantees, I think it's fair to have a two way street on guarantees.

Let it be known that, YES we serve our home cooked meals on HOT/HEATED plates. If we are going to take the time and care to cook, the meal WILL be served HOT. Since this was a "fun" evening, I didn;t want to make a new event over the cold meal that our entire table was served. Upon checkout, we did raise this issue to the front desk. The compliant was to be passed to the Manager. So Mr. Manager, please take corrective action so that all diners will have a great meal. This review is fair warning to correct this issue ASAP.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks to you and the Silver Wings Convention for selecting our resort for this event. It was truly a thrill to serve you. We also appreciate you providing this feedback on your stay. We are pleased that you were happy with your guest room and meeting spaces for your event as well as the service provided by staff, including reacting to the drain issue. I agree that such issues should be noticed and addressed by staff before they impact guests and this has been reiterated to those involved. I apologize for the surprise on the price of our banquet wine but this was disclosed prior to the event and is higher than our lounge happy hour pricing. However, it is my understanding that once this matter was brought to our attention, we did agree to honor the lounge happy hour pricing for your large dinner on Saturday night, which I hope shows our intent and focus to be fair and to retain your satisfaction and loyalty. I have also discussed your tables cold food with banquets. It did surprise them as all the comments they had heard from the attendees were rave reviews about the food and service. We do always utilize food covers, not only to keep food hot but it also is a must so we can stack the plates into hot boxes to be transported to the banquet room. The only thing we can think of is that the food for your table was inadvertently left out on a tray too long before service after being pulled from the hot box. For that we apologize and will address with banquet staff. Again, thank you for providing this feedback when you were with us and now on TripAdvisor. Your comments have been passed on and the issues addressed. We do hope we will have another opportunity to be of service to your group as well as to you personally. Thank you again.
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

This is a nice hotel in a very good location in the heart of Scottsdale. The Arizona design reminds of the Biltmore but the hotel and some quirks in service remind you otherwise. Comfortable room but when I checked in and asked for a king bed on my Hotwire reservation, I got abruptly cut off with a definite no. My theory is if you sell a room through an alternate channel you should expect people to ask for a change. Also only got one cookie which is strange since the other dozen or so Doubletree stays got 2 cookies. Pretty property with nice gardens and nice restaurant service. One oddity is the lack of wifi in the rooms.The wifi in the lobby is free but hispeed is still wired in the rooms.
Lobby is in the middle of a renewal which looks good but makes for some noise and paint and carpet smell. Excellent parking and nice pool areas.
Hotel is close to shopping and restaurants of all types. Old Town Scottsdale is also close. Nothing in walking distance but a quick 5 minute drive.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Dave S
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for being with us and for this feedback on your stay at our resort. We are pleased that you enjoyed your room, the property and the food and service in our restaurant. I apologize for the issues you experienced. The front desk did not handle your request for a change in rooms very well at all. There are times when an upgrade or certain room type is not available but it should have been properly and politely explained. If available, upgrades and the fees associated with those upgrades should be offered even if not asked for. We should also be providing a cookie for all those in a room and additional upon guest request. This has been addressed with staff. Additionally, we are in the process of installing wireless HSIA in all our guest rooms which should be completed in the coming months. Again, thank you for your comments and business. We hope we will see you again when your travels bring you back to our area.
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I booked this room on Priceline and got a great deal. We are from Chandler, AZ and my boyfriend and I decided to have a staycation and this is the hotel Priceline gave us. The front desk person who helped us was very nice. I asked to have a King bed instead of the 2 Queens and she politely informed me that there was a $10 upgrade fee, which I was okay with. She then handed me 2 cookies to welcome me to the hotel (that was a nice surprise) So overall, I would give check in a 9.5 as there were no problems and I didn't feel like I was treated any differently because I had used Priceline.

Our room was very close to the front of the hotel so the parking was terrible. I had a feeling that if we left to dinner or out for the evening that by the time we arrived back, every single parking spot remotely close to our room would be taken and I was right. I ended up parking on the opposite side of the front of the hotel (near valet) and had to walk a little ways back to the room.

The rooms were really cute. I loved the rustic looking ceilings with the wood. There was a little dressing area with a full length mirror that was really nice. I felt like our room was very quiet, as we did not hear a soul up above us or next to us. There is a nice little wet bar and a mini fridge but you can't use the fridge unless you request access to it at check in...and then I think there is a charge for access (which I am pretty sure they mentioned there were cocktails inside of the fridge). The bathroom was nice and clean. The only thing I thought was weird about this room is the way the front door opened to the room, it came very close to the wall as you came in and you had very little room to squeeze through, it was very awkward the way it was set up.

My favorite part of this hotel was that awesome pool! Salt water, HUGE, and warm...like bath water. We were swimming at 11:30 at night and it was beautiful. I could have done without all the little kiddies and their blowup toys though. Pool closes at midnight. We also used the jacuzzi. For some reason it was really dirty on the bottom of the jacuzzi. I couldn't see it, but I could feel it with my feet...I was a bit grossed out by the dirt and muck on the bottom.

In the morning we ate at the buffet. It was really good. A bit pricey at 15.95 a person but it had a lot to choose from. The home fries were fabulous and yummy! They also had a "make your own waffle" maker. I had asked our waiter how long they serve breakfast till and he said that it varies on how busy they were, so that was nice that they didn't have a "shut down" time, and kept it going as long as there were people who were still coming in for breakfast.

Overall we had a really nice stay. The hotel is older, but there is something about it that was very comfortable. I didn't feel like it was a snobby Scottsdale hotel. They are definitely doing some construction somewhere around the grounds as the south end looked like it was all construction workers and materials laying around. Near our room someone had stacked about 6 hide a bed sofas and left them out overnight, which I thought was funny cause in Arizona in the summer, you never know when a monsoon is gonna hit in the middle of the night.

So the big plus is the pool area and the minus is the parking...thanks for the stay!

Room Tip: Ask for something on the East side of the hotel, more parking for sure! If you stay near the front e...
4 Thank staycationAZ
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thanks for being with us for your staycation and for this positive review of our resort and staff. We are pleased that you enjoyed your guest room, our pools and the service provided by our staff. I apologize about the parking issue but I would highly recommend that guests take advantage of our complimentary valet services, which not only ensure a great parking space but we can also shuttle you to the front door of your room. As another reviewer mentioned this same issue, I will follow up with staff to ensure that we better communicate this great amenity. We do hope that you will come back to stay with us again sometime soon.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed at the Doubletree Resort hotel in Paradise Valley, Arizona in mid September 2012 at the end of a long international trip. The hotel is located on Scottsdale Road on the north side of town near Olde Town Scottsdale and the Scottsdale Fashion Mall in a mostly residential area. The complex itself is very large and spread out, there are 2 pools open until midnight, 2 tennis courts, a basketball court, spa, etc. with plenty of free parking. The hotel is 2 floors with only an exterior entrance to each room and an incredible maze of twisting and turning hallways.

The room I had, on the ground floor, was large with a very comfortable bed and nice linen whose layout indicated an older room that has been remodeled. The bedroom was interesting as mine included a desk, chair, wet bar, easy chair, LG TV with HBO, blackout curtains that really worked, beamed ceiling and a sliding glass door leading onto the patio and salt water pool.

The bathroom, as has been mentioned by other reviewers, was small and the floor very cold.

Wi-Fi was available in certain public areas of the hotel and there was an Ethernet cable in the room at the desk.

My only complaint would have to do with noise. I could easily hear the occupants of the room above mine walking around, doors slamming, toilets flushing, etc. from adjacent rooms. The air conditioning, which is used heavily in Arizona in the summer, was also very noisy.

This hotel has been in Scottsdale for a long time. Management has continued to make necessary upgrades and so this is a good, safe choice if needing a place to stay when in the Valley of the Sun.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Mark O
Thank you for being with us and for this feedback on your stay at our resort. Our location in the heart of Scottsdale and our many activity options on property - swimming, exercise, racketball, basketball, tennis and practicing your putting skills - are what many of our guests enjoy. We are pleased that your enjoyed your guest room and their many recent upgrades and renovations. We will have high speed wireless in all our guest rooms in a couple short months as well. I apologize that you experienced noises in and around your room and we will follow up with engineering to address those items. We do hope that you will return again to Scottsdale and our resort from Flagstaff for a quick weekend staycation in the near future.
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed September 30, 2012

First, this hotel is very easy to find with its location on Scottsdale Rd. The hotel is located next to descent restaurants and shopping. I stayed at this resort on a recent business trip and it was alright. The employees were all friendly and knowledgeable. The rooms were large, but lacked a refrigerator or microwave. The layout of the hotel was very awkward and reminded me of a prison with concrete double story rooms. There is very poor lighting so bring a flashlight at night. The grounds were well kept but there are minimal ice dispensers and one vending machine on the property, so if you’re in an outlying room be prepared to walk. Parking in a commodity at this hotel so if you get back late you may have to park far from your room and walk in. Also be advised, the room service is atrocious so you’ll probably want to dine off the property. What makes this hotel so appealing is the price. I paid $45 for two days, which is better than motel 6. Overall, it’s a descent resort but next time I’ll look for something a little more upscale.

Room Tip: Bring a flashlight and your own snacks
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for selecting our resort for your stay and for this feedback on your experience. The exterior of our resort has a unique Arizona flair influenced by the great Frank Lloyd Wright. We are pleased that your enjoyed your room and the service provided by our staff. All our guest rooms have minibars, which offer a full array of beverages and snacks. We also offer complimentary valet parking and can shuttle you right to your guest room door. I apologize for whatever happened with your room service. I would appreciate any further details but have passed on your general comments to our Director of Food & Beverage Outlets. We do hope you will return to our area again and, when you do, that you will give us another opportunity to service you better.
County Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Date of our visit: 13th & 14th September 2012. As a stop-over on a Cosmos Western Wonders Coach Tour.
Although one could see that this property was a little 'mature' it was nevertheless a good choice for our itinerary.
Cleanliness & Service were the key features for this Resort Hotel. All of the staff were trained to provide that little bit extra. The rooms were well proportioned, functional and clean, large bedroom with ample space (for 2 of us) a good sized bath/shower . TV plus tea & coffee making facilities (and ... Double Tree’s own complimentary signature biscuits/cookies). The dining room/bar staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. The grounds, were peaceful and immaculately kept, with some wonderful cactus specimens (within their speciality cactus garden). Two swimming pools with plenty of sun beds (if you could take the 34 deg. plus heat).

Food: Although our tour deal was on a room only basis, Doubletree offered a breakfast deal. For 20 Dollars, two of us chose from a vast American Buffet, cold, hot and in-between. Drinks, fresh fruits, yoghurts, cereals, breads, bacon, eggs, sausage, flapjacks et al. Excellent value. On the first night we had a simple bar meal. On our second night we didn’t use the evening restaurant facilities, since we’d pre-booked a night out at ‘Rustlers Roost’ a nearby Cowboy theme eatery and ‘entertainment’ venue (I use that term advisedly). I wouldn’t sign up for that again!

Double Tree must have been one of the best hotels on our tour.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you and your tour group for being with us and for this complimentary review of our resort and staff. We are pleased that all went well throughout your stay. We do hope that you can return to our area again soon, whether on tour or not, to spend more time enjoying our resort's many amenities or to discover all the great shopping, attractions, activities, restaurants and night life available in our Scottsdale neighborhood.