Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town
Ranked #73 of 76 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed July 8, 2014

It's a cheap stay but EXTREMELY dirty. I have a 4 yr old and should have not stayed here. I'm not a clean freak it was just disgusting! Had him wearing his sandals to walk around the carpet AND in the shower.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Angiehec8
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

We want to thank you for writing a review of your stay. We were disappointed to learn that your room's cleanliness did not meet your expectations. We have brought this to the attention of our housekeeping staff and will ensure that your experience is not repeated.

We are grateful for your feedback, as we are always looking to approve upon our hotel. If you have additional feedback, please feel free to reach out to me, at sct@extendedstay.com. We do hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Front desk worker, Paige, was rude and looked at us like "what are you doing here?" when we came early to simply INQUIRE about early check-in. (we were attending an all day event in old town Scottsdale) I was told by Taylor, over the phone, to come in early and if they had any rooms ready they would check us in. We ended up checking in around 9:30 pm.
When we arrived at the hotel Scottsdale PD was there arresting someone for prostitution. Taylor was at the front desk... she was friendly and helpful and got us all checked in (3 rooms for our group). However, the room she gave us had not been cleaned (bed was not even made) and smelled like smoke. She offered to put us in another room but by that time the other people in our group had experienced similar problems with their rooms so we all just decided to leave. When searching for a place to stay this hotel seemed like a good deal...cheap, but in a decent area of Scottsdale. (short walking distance to old town). We just needed a place to sleep and wouldn't be there long enough to justify a more expensive place. Don't be deceived ...you will get exactly what you pay for here. NOT WORTH IT for what you save.

Room Tip: I highly recommend rooms on the top floor of an entirely different hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Travelpopular
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced at check-in and the level of cleanliness in your room. In response to your feedback, I will meet with the staff to review our guest protocol and cleaning procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. If you would like to provide any additional feedback, please feel free to contact me directly at, sct@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I ended up here after choosing a Priceline "express deal" whereby you know the price but not the name of the property or its exact location. I stayed for 3 nights and paid just $30 per night + tax. After buying the room and being informed of the name and location of the hotel, I read the Tripadvisor reviews. Recent reviews have savaged the property. Knock on wood, I had no problems. I very much appreciated having a kitchen and refrigerator.One downside is that the property does NOT offer daily maid service. I think you have to stay for at least a week before you get a room cleanup.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stayed in this hotel when I came to Scottsdale for work, in room 129. As a hint, after the first week I already hated it. Since it was paid by my company, I was stuck there for two full months from January to March.
The room is small, smelly, rug and walls are dirty and the furniture is cheap looking. The bed had a bad mattress, too soft for me, so I woke up in the mornings with a sore neck. The shower was broken so half the water spilled out before getting to me.
This is not a long stay hotel, it has two old stoves, a small microwave, a coffee maker in poor condition and no oven whatsoever.
Service was poor to plain awful. Most of the staff is polite, never had a problem with anyone, but they all appear to, either, be very dumb or they just don't care. Every time I needed something I had to ask for it at least three times in different instances to see it done. As an example, rooms are supposed to be cleaned once a week, although I had issues with it every single week, which ended in repeated visits to front desk asking for it. As a result, I had my room cleaned once a week and a half if I was lucky.
As for hotel amenities: Awful, simply awful.
The pool is pitiful, dirty and small.
Complementary breakfast is close to non existing, a coffee and a bagged muffin, half the times either one was missing. They also went two full weeks without coffee lids, so I ended up spilling my coffee in my car more than once.
Wifi is another thing that will give you nightmares. Slow, incredibly slow. I had it tested once, only to see a remarkable 0,8 mbps at 8 pm.
In conclusion, I would never recommend this hotel, to anyone.

Room Tip: If you plan on staying here for long, don't. There are lovely apartments for monthly rents for t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Bruno W
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Bruno - Thank you for sharing your experience. It upset me to learn that our level of customer service and cleanliness did not meet our normal standards. Please know, I will meet with our entire staff to review our customer service policies and cleaning procedures to ensure that your experience is not repeated. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me directly at sct@extendestay.com.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. We hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with a better experience in the future.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

My experience at the hotel was good. The main problem that I encountered is that during my stay I had to be hospitalized for a week. I was the only person staying in my room and have had jewellery and clothing stolen that I know I wore during my stay there. Have emailed a employee about the incident and still have not received a response. My next step is to contact the manager and corporate headquarters...

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank march71
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that you had items go missing during your stay. Please reach out to me, at sct@extendedstay.com, so we can discuss this issue further. Thank you again for your comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you’re in the area.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

The room was small but packed with what we wanted: queen bed, full sized frig, even had a 2 burner stove as a full kitchenette including microwave, coffee maker and a 2 person dining table. Bottom line-it is not new, but it was clean. A bit of room odor, only when we arrived, so we just opened the door and windows and in 10 minutes the room smelled fine. This location is awesome, about a mile from amazing and quaint shopping, dining area. We even popped into the farmers market there on Saturday morning and had a blast with buying all kinds of food while wondering around. You will easily pay twice this price anywhere else in the area, save some $, do spend it on nice meals. We even went on walks right out of our room as there were neighborhoods with sidewalks and lovely landscaping nearby. WE WOULD STAY HERE AGAIN!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Danno D
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Thank you so much for posting a review of our hotel. I am happy that you enjoyed your clean room and fully equipped kitchen. As well, I am glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location. Still, I apologize that you experienced an unpleasant odor upon entering your room. I will be sure to meet with our housekeeping staff to ensure that this problem does not happen in the future. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

My husband and I traveled to Phoenix, Sedona, Scottsdale, and San Diego for 2 weeks over the Xmas holidays, and this was, by far, the worst hotel we stayed in, mainly because of the lack of services and the ineptitude of the staff. The night we got in, I had to use my laptop for some personal business, which I could not do because the hotel network was not secured. We called the Front Desk who called the manger to find out what happened and to ask how I could access the "Free Wi-Fi" they advertise. She said she would call back; we waited over half-an-hour before we called her back. She said the manager said the techs who reset the password each month forgot to secure it and nothing could be done until morning. When we called the Front Desk the next morning, the guy said he knew nothing about Wi-Fi and could not help us.
Also, I did not get the wake-up call I scheduled before I went to bed. This was more than frustrating. No matter the cost, there's no bargain here when this kind of stuff happens.
When we returned home, our credit card company called to apprise us of an unauthorized charge made by Ex.Stay while we were already home. I called 9 or 10 times, and the phone just rang and rang---no one answered. When we finally got through, the gal said she would call us back to take care of the erroneous charge; thus far, she has not returned the call.
When one must spend this kind of time and energy to get basic services from the hotel, it is no longer worth the perceived monetary savings.
I bought this hotel accommodation through Priceline's "Express Deal". There is no way this is a 3-star hotel. So, I hold Priceline somewhat responsible for these SNAFUs because they are, obviously, not checking out the hotels they offer. I guess they can't afford to do that after paying huge advertising money to Schattner and, now, Cuoco.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nanci2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Nanci - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The lack of customer service, additional credit card charges and Wi-Fi difficulties you described are unacceptable. I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am meeting with the hotel manager and staff to review our billing procedures and Wi-Fi repair policy. As well, I am going to coach our entire team on how to provide better customer service to ensure an experience like yours does not happen again.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at elesus@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.