Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town
Ranked #73 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed August 8, 2013

First the good things... quick check-in, they take pets (thought I think the pet charge per night is a bit steep) The appliances in the kitchen were all new and worked very well. It as an efficient set up. The con's ... oh, what a small room. These suites are okay for one person. But not two and a pet. The use of the space is efficient but is cramped. The room smelled horrible - so bad I went out and bought a stick room freshener which did no good... I don't know what the smell was - perhaps glue from the flooring or the air conditioner... it was so bad, my clothes smell horrible when I arrived home and i had to have them cleaned. The bathroom smelled like a wet sauna - not the most pleasant. I hope it was not mildew in the walls - but someone should definitely check out room 264... It should not be occupied. if we were staying longer and spent more time in the room - we would definitely asked for a different room. As another reviewer said, the pictures on the website are NOT what you get... the bed is old and squeaky and the room is really dark. Another reviewer said it was a paint smell - but it is not paint.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Gwen - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am so glad that you enjoyed your in-room kitchen and that our hotel is pet-friendly; however, I am disheartened to read that your room had a slight odor. To uphold our company’s high standards, I will be overseeing all daily housekeeping cleaning moving forward to ensure that the rooms are clean and have a fresh scent.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at sct@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Place is well kept. Grounds nice...great pillows and bed is a dream...sleep very well here..quiet and peaceful place to stay...pool, kitchen with all the supplies, great staff...best location in Scottsdale...walk to Walgreens, Molinos Mexican, great cleaners, Olive Garden, Dennies, Good Egg, Red Lobster and many unique restaurants. Great Farmers Market in fall. I prefer this to an apartment!

Room Tip: Face the sunset if possible..if you smoke get a smoking room so you do not effect everyone around yo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Amy - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm thrilled that you were so pleased with our property and its location. As well, I am very happy that you have had such a pleasant stay with us, and that you appreciate our staff as well.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I checked in, but quickly checked out of this Extended Stay pretender near Old Town. After 45 minutes, I was still sweating up a storm in the room. The AC was working, but only in one corner of the midget sized room. There was no vent near the bathroom, so the other half of the room was like a sauna, especially in summer, which it is now. I also found at least four fruit flies on the counter, all dead and I guess they recently painted the room because my eyes stung from the paint smell. Extended Stay is touting all these changes, but you can't change a lousy room with a coat of paint. Yeah, it has a great location, but that's not worth anything based on what goes on inside that room. If you can't handle closed places or anything else I mentioned than stay away. There is only one good ESA in the whole area. Look for my review of that next. I did get a full refund, so that is the only positive.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Brad H

Brad - The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that there was an issue with the A/C in your room and that it was not cleaned according to our company's high standards. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I am working with our maintenance and housekeeping staff to improve our procedures as well as policies to ensure your experience is not repeated.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at sct@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

They advertise pool, I was there in July and it was filthy. Apparently the maintenance person quit, but that did not excuse the fact that they had a wood slab for a door of the lobby. The smell that smacks you in the face when you walk into the rooms is horrid. The linens are grey at best. Keep in mind this is real close to old town Scottsdale, and it is cheap. If you are picky in any way this would not be the place for you. I cleaned my own room, and lysoled it down.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank angela b
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience as we are in the process of having the glass in our lobby door replaced. Unfortunately, our pool is down for maintenance. In an effort to ensure that this does not happen again, my team is going to pay closer attention to the chemical levels in the pool. I will also be speaking with the housekeeping staff to remind them of the standards we must uphold when cleaning each room, specifically replacing linens and refreshing the room. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at sct@extendedstay.com should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

This hotel was among the worst hotels my family and I have ever stayed at. We were to stay 3 and a half weeks and 3 days in we wanted to leave. Upon calling to ask for more towels the front desk lady responded with "Uhm okay, can you come up here please?" Are you kidding? Even Motel 8 delivers their items to rooms... ridiculous. The pool was a murky green color and was in need of cleaning. When calling tech support for help regarding connecting our gaming console to the wifi the lady who sounded like she hardly knew English said "Oh I'm not in right now. What is your hotel number" And we proceeded to tell her that we did not know the number of the hotel (who would) she then said we needed to find out the number and then call back.Overall, you could get more for you money and more courteous service at that.

Room Tip: Here's a tip, do not stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kaylannie E
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Kaylannie - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I was disheartened to read that you had troubles with our WiFi and that the staff was unable to bring you towels. Please accept our apologies. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have spoken to our employees and am working to correct the issues with our pool as well as WiFi.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me, at sct@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was in town for an art workshop, and found this economical arrangement with all the basics suited my needs perfectly. It was close to the art school, and it was great to have refrigerator and microwave so that I could buy my own groceries and prepare my own meals for several days. I was not interested in luxury accommodations as I spent most of my time and energy at the art school, but I was glad to have a clean and quiet place where all my basic needs were taken care of.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Jill - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the convenient proximity of our hotel to Scottsdale Artists School and how much you enjoyed our rooms, including the kitchen.

Once more, thank you for posting your review. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Nothing like the pictures or what they say you get on their website.. small room.. no lounger... no updated bedding or bathroom.. Bathroom smelled awful and when I complained they said they came and did something but smell still there.. cut my stay short

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank bill G
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Bill - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I apologize that your room did not meet your expectations. As a company, we are currently renovating our properties to include items in the photos available on our website. It saddens me to know that your room was incomplete. As well, while we did look into the smell in your rooms bathroom, we will be doing so again. It was our intention to correct this issue originally, and I am sorry that we did not.

Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at sct@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.