“Dependable.”

Manuel's Mexican Restaurant - Scottsdale
Ranked #313 of 1,250 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Dependable.”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Eaten here for years, the food is fresh, the chips and salsa are good and the service has never been a letdown. This is not a fancy place but offer what you know and love in Mexican food.

• Visited August 2012

Naples, Florida
“Best Mexican Food in Scottsdale”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We've been all over...Julio's (Paradise Valley), Abuello's Frank & Lupe's, Cien Agaves...you name it...Manuel's has by far the best salsa and the best Enchiladas ever. Customer service is great. Pricing is fair and food is always served in a hot plate. Couldnt really ask for more

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank 111Wanderlust
Scottsdale, AZ
“Great Margaritas but......”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife and I had moved into the neighborhood the day before and spent the next day wrangling boxes and furniture. By dinner time we were way past cooking a meal. Manuel's is a 5 minute walk from home and so off we went.

We ordered a couple of Margaritas which were very good indeed.

We ordered dinner. I like Carnitas and that's what I asked for. My wife chose the half and half Steak and Chicken Fajitas. Chips and salsa arrived quickly and were enjoyable.

The main course arrived. Now, I'm sure that there are many, many regional variations on the basic Carnitas recipe.What I'm not sure about is whether any of them are designed to produce dry, stringy pork that is almost totally lacking in flavor. There were several impressively sized chunks of meat and all were uniformly flavorless and dry. I wondered at the time if it had been sitting out under a heat lamp for a while. The meat was served on a platter with refried beans with some gobs of melted cheese on top and a portion of orange colored rice. Two smallish flour tortillas and a small cup of very bland pico de gallo finished the presentation.

I was really hungry. I'd worked through lunch hefting boxes and furniture, but I ate less than half of the pork.

My wife's fajitas were also a rather dry although the colorful peppers and onions added some flavor. The guacamole was good, and the presentation was much better than that of the carnitas.

Since I was still hungry we decided to try a dessert. I haven't had fried ice cream since the '80s when we lived in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and often enjoyed it at Carlos and Pepe's on the 17th Street Causeway. When it arrived it was stone cold, covered in what appeared to be crushed corn flakes and whipped cream. It looked pretty, but on tasting it had an oily, slightly rancid flavor. I suspect that it had been fried earlier in the day in old oil and then refrigerated.

We left all of it except for the whipped cream and the cherry.

I don't plan on eating at Manuel's again. This is Arizona and there are many, many excellent and authentic Mexican restaurants here. I might just consider going there for the Margaritas.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank ChrisP47
Atlanta, Georgia
“You can't go wrong with this Meal”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Great traditional Mexican restaurant with all your favorites. The margaritas are great. Service is very good. We had a large party and was served in reasonable time.

• Visited July 2012
Gearhart, Oregon
“Not our favorite, average TexMex and margaritas”
Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

We were at our second home in Scottsdale and decided to try this place after a couple of years. The waitress was great! The bus person not so good as our chips and salsa were delayed. Original margarita not good but Texas margarita better. Pollo especial which wife had not great. Pork I had somewhat better. Chips and salsa acceptable. Prices seemed fair. Nothing to prevent return but more likely to check out another nearby Mexican place next time we desire this kind of food. Bar is popular so that is something to consider. Even on Sunday there were a number of bar patrons.