“Not for beginners”

ShinBay
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: NE Corner of Indian Bend Road & Scottsdale Road, at Scottsdale Seville
Description: ShinBay offers traditional and contemporary Japanese cuisine and Tokyo-style nigiri with emphasis on seasonality of food, the highest quality of ingredients and presentation. Enjoy a respite from everyday, with inspired cuisine and hospitality in a tranquil setting.Reservations are highly recommended preferably via our website or OpenTable. Reservation Note : Our Chef's Tasting Course starting at $100 per person is available with 24 hours advanced reservation only. When making your reservation, please specify your desired price range and any dietary restrictions or food allergies you may have. For parties of up to four people, please indicate with your reservation if you would like to sit at the Chef's Counter. For more information, please visit our facebook/shinbayAZ.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a sophisticated Japanese dining experience, a major leap from sushi, tempura and noodles -- even for actual Japanese. Presentation is delicate and deliberate, timing is of the essense, portions are small and the bill can mount up. If you have dined at similar restaurants in, say, expense-account Tokyo, you'll be ready for this; if not, be prepared for a sensory challenge -- one that may send you home shaking your head . . . or, possibly, looking forward to another visit. "Not for everybody" was never more appropriate.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We read that ShinBay was the best seafood restaurant in Phoenix and having moved here from Florida we made quick plans to try it out. Our anticipation was definitely rewarded. We selected the six course chef's tasting and while we were a little disappointed when the first plate was Amberjack, the rest of the courses were truly wonderful. The presentation was outstanding, the flavors creative and delicious and we left extremely satisfied. The price is a little extreme for what you get, but we would definitely recommend ShinBay. It is a culinary experience like few in Phoenix.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband took me for my birthday dinner. Yes, it was expensive but the food was exceptional. Fish was very fresh, innovative presentations, service was excellent. We had the omakase and it could not have been a better experience.

4  Thank tsavia
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I were really excited to try this place as we have heard great things online. We left feeling torn about the place. The fish was fresh and tasted good but we don't think it was worth the 100 dollars for the 5 course omakase. This would equate to about $20 for each dish and I could not justify that. We dined at Brooklyn Fare in New York and had some amazing fish courses there and I was expecting the same quality but it definitely did not measure up. It was a place I really wanted to try at least once but will likely not be coming back for a second meal. I feel I could get very similar dishes at a nice Japanese sushi place without having to pay so much.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

A delightful relaxed dinner tonight at ShinBay. We asked to sit at the sushi bar just to watch the very skilled chefs at work.

We did the six course Omakase dinner (basically a tasting menu) and actually ended up with eight courses. As near as I can remember they were:

a) lightly seared halibut in oil, soy, ponzu and some spices

b) six different types of appetizer - tuna tataki with some different "crackers", king crab with mayonaise and ponzu, a type of tiny squid with mirin, kumamoto oysters with sea urchin, orange clam with a lemon flavour and shiso and sweet shrimp with shrimp paste and osetra caviar

c) a soup with five kinds of mushroom and mussels

d) Shabu Shabu with shrimp, scallops and fish

e) a Nigerian Tiger Shrimp (they are huge) chopped up and cooked in almost a teriaki sauce with key lime to squeeze over it

f) Two different plates of sushi - can't remember them all buy golden eye, O-Toro, Horse Mackeral and Sea Urchin were some of the favourites.

g) a nice egg custard with fruit for dessert.

I had a nice Japanese micro-brew (Echigo) to go along with it and my companion had champagne.

An expensive dinner but really memorable.

The room is very relaxed and they appear to limit the number of diners to a small number - most of the people there seemed to be doing versions of Omakase.

Service was excellent and there is a limited selection of very good wines, beers and sake.

3  Thank SaskWolfhoun