“Fresh selections, love the cocktails!”
Review of True Food Kitchen

True Food Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
True Food Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 1,262 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Phoenix
“Fresh selections, love the cocktails!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We loved our fresh juice cocktails with herbal "fusings". Made me not feel so bad about having a cocktail, most of it was good for the body too! Amazing flavors, although portions are not excessive - focus is on flavor and really, just enough food :)

• Visited March 2013

Tucson, Arizona
“Healthy and GF tasty with a show.”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The menu is based on Dr. Andrew Weil and his healthy living ideology. This is a creation of Sam Fox and his crack eatery team. They are constantly coming up with inventive menus and restaurant themes. It is good for you and very good to your mouth hole especially if you are gluten free. They serve cocktails, vegan, GF, and dishes to fit every disposition of meatatarian to flower loving hippy.

Start by refreshing yourself with a juice blend. Then the market salad with fresh local everything. Try the escabeche, think ahi salad without the salad. Top it off with a pleasant day of shopping in the mall for Louis or RL. It's a good time for all and bring your dog. In the evenings they open up the grassy mall to blankets and popcorn, as you lay back and watch an evening outdoor movie- check mall website for showings. Lunch for 4 with beverages $60.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank DrSkya
London, United Kingdom
“My kitchen away from home”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We're avid vegetarian health nuts and generally avoid trying new restaurants, especially within the confines of a shopping mall in America. Eating at the True Food Kitchen, however, was like we unpacked our own kitchen and made the kind of fresh, tasty, and locally sourced food we would like to eat at home-save the hassle.

Two of us ordered each ordered a fresh juice, lunch salad (no meat add ons), and shared an appetizer. The quality of the produce on the salads was excellent, the freshness of the produce was really apparent. We didn't use the salad dressing as we thought it was way too sweet and distracting - the veg was so fresh and tasty that it didn't really need it anyway.

I would definitely go back. I really applaud and support concepts like this as they are a strong demonstration that healthy and responsibly sourced food can also be tasty and fun. I think people have the wrong beliefs about 'health food' and hopefully this restaurant will try to change it a little bit. I also liked the open kitchen so you can see the kitchen staff working and have an idea of the kitchen conditions and staff responsible in bringing your food to you. There is fantastic ambiance (I guess it was kind of sceney for Scottsdale?) and excellent, friendly service.

I think the True Food Kitchen still has room for improvement however. The main issue that would dissuade me from getting in the 45 minute waiting line was the overall cost. I realize there is a certain mark up for locally sourced, organic produce and hiring appropriate kitchen staff and an 'in' location. However, $50 for two juices, lunch salads and an one app was slightly too much. I reckon I could reproduce the entire meal with ingredients bought at Whole Foods for a fraction of the cost (not to mention that we didn't add protein to our salads, which would have brought the cost over $20 per salad). Then again, home cooking defeats the purpose, there are huge lines at lunch time and it is in Scottsdale, so a once in a while treat to good food seems fine for the majority. I personally think a smarter way to approach profits for this restaurant is to mark up the price of alcohol and desserts, which would also be consistent with the health/eco mission of the restaurant. I would have given this a 5* rating had the bill been about $7-10 lower, again it's hard for me to justify spending that, when I can just go home and make exactly the same thing. However, I do not object to spending money on food when there is something unique (i.e., difficult to replicate at home) brought to the table or it is done for charitable purposes.

The other (picky) issue (for fellow juicers) was that the juices were not made 'fresh to order'. I believe they were made 'fresh' as in juiced in house earlier in the day in a large batch and put in the fridge. We juice a lot and there is a huge difference in zing when juices are made straight away. I really hate it when menu says fresh and they serve you some over-oxidized punch. That was a disappointment.

The pros:
Great fresh food
Clever combinations of food
Lots of variety on the menu for veg and omnivores alike
Seasonal menu rotation
Great friendly staff
Open air, natural setting
Eco friendly - locally sourced

The cons:
The overall price was steep for lunch. We spend over $50, $9 of which was on a fresh hummus starter (just saying a can of organic chic peas at Whole Foods is like $0.60...so the markup is insane). $6-7 is more on target.
Juices were not 'made to order'

• Visited March 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Healthy alfresco casual dining at Kierland”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I'm not a big health food nut, but I must say the two times I ate at True Kitchen I was impressed. The teriyaki brown rice bowl is very tasty as is the grilled turkey sandwich. I also was impressed with their vast beverage menu which included Angry Orchard hard cider. The alfresco dining experience here makes you feel like you are on vacation in some exotic location.

Visited April 2013
Toronto, Ontario
“Always our first stop!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

True Food Kitchen is the first stop we make on our restaurant circuit while in Phoenix/Scottsdale. We love the kale salad, the burger, dumplings...and pretty much everything else on the menu that we have tried over the years. The presentation is wonderful and you know that the kitchen is dedicated to healthy, fresh, amazing food items. The staff is friendly and efficient. Being able to sit outside is a bonus for those of us coming from cold climates. Can't wait to go back!

Visited March 2013