“Let's Ride”
Review of Renegade Canteen - CLOSED

Renegade Canteen
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central Scottsdale
Cross street: Shea and 93rd St
“Let's Ride”
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Had the opportunity to eat and drink here over the course of 2 weeks last January before the revamp.
Heck I enjoyed it then looking forward to returning again this January.
Great place, laid back atmosphere, superb host.

• Visited January 2013

phoenix
“We were so excited about MOD's new Restaurant.”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

When we heard that Chef Michael O'Dowd had opened Renegade by MOD, we were so excited. He was our favorite award winning culinary genius in this area. By the way, he still is. The food is still impressive: creative, fresh, and delicious to the eye and mouth. But...and its a big but, the service at the restaurant was so lacking experience. Our server had no passion for the food she was presenting. I don't think she even understood what she was serving at times. Service was slow and inattentive. We were seated at 6:00 PM and didn't receive our first course until 7:15. We went for AZ Restaurant week and there were only 6 tables filled in our large section when we arrived. By 7:00, most of the tables were filled and our server was MIA. We ordered the wine pairing and they arrived about halfway through each course. Missed the point of "wine pairing". There was 5 of us, and we were served a small portion of cracker bread and spread which was delicious. We waited so long for any sign of food, that we asked for another portion and the server sharply said "ok, it's $3.00 extra". Okay? I do hope that the front staff are able to pick up the speed, passion, and get it together. It would be a shame for such an amazing chef to allow this kind of service to affect his reputation.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank PhoenixWestin
scottsdale
“New owners and it is awful! Pass on this overpriced place!”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I went there for happy hour. A sign out front declares "best happy hour in town!" Uh, doubtful. first off, a good happy hour has decent prices...this is a joke. $1 off the house wine? Gee, thanks. The bar food isn't discounted at all. We had some of the worst fish tacos I have ever come across in my life. It is supposed to be mahi-mahi but tastes like a combination of mashed potatoes and mashed fish. $9 for 3 puny tacos, too. We also had a flatbread pizza which wasn't flatbread at all but just thin pizza crust. It was decent, but nothing great. Management didn't even stop by when I complained about the tacos and on top of that, they were on the bill. The waiter felt awful and gave us a free glass of wine. Not his fault, obviously. And the décor is some kind of mish-mash of House of Blues meets graffiti art murals with vintage bicycles on display, What? It is so weirdly put together and makes no design sense at all. And the main dining menu? Break out your wallet, folks. If I am paying this kind of price, I do not want to eat next to an old bicycle and spray painted graffiti. Yuk. This new owner is from a fancy hotel restaurant and apparently felt stifled creatively so he decided to use every thought he had about restaurant interiors and throw it all into one space, one menu and if you don't like it, well, too bad. PASS!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank shendrix
Scottsdale, Arizona
“If you haven't had MOD's Venison Lollipops, you must try them!!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We own a business nearby and have watched the new Renegade become reborn. Renegade's by MOD (Chef Michael O'Dowd) is all new - and has an amazingly creative menu. This place is just plain fun. It's 5 star food - Chef MOD is Arizona's only 5 Star and 5 Diamond rated chef and it shows in every appetizer, entree and desert. The drink menu is also creative and whimsical - you can even get a drink in a bag that fits on your wrist - and has a straw. OK, I haven't tried that yet since I prefer my beer in a cold glass and my martinis up, but just an example of one of the surprises they have in store for you. Try the venison - its INSANELY GOOD. I've turned 3 or 4 people on to it and everyone raved. Everything on the menu I've tried is good and they change it up with a few new items each week, so take a step away from the usual - this menu is a fresh change for Scottsdale.

• Visited July 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great atmosphere and Special Food”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I remember that we went with a group from work and all of us raved about the food, the selection was unique and delicious. Our service was wonderful and we all had different types of food, a must try if you haven't been there.

Visited December 2012