“ATVing through the desert, a MUST DO while in Scottsdale!”
Review of Stellar Adventures

Stellar Adventures
Book In Advance
More Info
$108.60*
and up
M1009 Blazer 4x4 Sonoran Desert Adventure from Phoenix
More attraction details
Owner description: Tame the rugged desert landscape on a H1 Hummer, M1009 Blazer/Jeep or guided/rental ATV tour – all powered by Bio-Diesel! Test your marksmanship with the Stellar Shooting Experience or try our Night-Vision and Stargazing Tours. Team building, catering and bar-service are also available. Serving the Valley of the Sun since 1997.
Danvers, Massachusetts
“ATVing through the desert, a MUST DO while in Scottsdale!”
Reviewed April 22, 2011

My boyfriend and I booked an ATV excursion through the desert while staying Scottsdale in the beginning of the month. It was one of the highlights of our trip! You're able to ride at your own speed, explore the desert and just have fun! The excursion is 3-4 hrs in length. Our instructor Chad was amazing. He knew the desert like the back of his hand and made sure everyone felt very comfortable and confident on their ATV. I would definitely recommend this for anyone staying in Scottsdale!

Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome way to see the Sonoran Desert and a whole lot of fun”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We had an awesome trip with our guide Chad. We had a mix of experienced and novice riders and everyone had a great time. Chad took the time to help the kids really understand the quads and was a lot of fun to be with for the day. We had a great tour through about 25 miles of trails through the Sonoran Desert and the scenery was amazing. The terrain was varied so there were plenty of challenges and it was a just a great day.

The trail is a short drive from Scottsdale Road so anyone staying in the Greater Scottsdale area can enjoy this tour without a major commute. We would recommend this tour for anyone that would love to see the desert from a different perspective and it is really well suited for drivers of any ability. My 12 year old daughter has never been on a quad and had a wonderful experience.

Thanks again Chad for a great day!

Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“ATV ride was excellent!”
Reviewed April 10, 2011

My wife and I took an ATV guided tour today and had an excellent time! Chad and his son were great tour guides and I was especially impressed with the way that Chad taught everyone how to be safe and ride properly on the trails. We definitely got our money's worth as the ride was a lot of fun plus the desert scenery (with the snow-capped mountains) was breathtaking. The pace was perfect and we have already recommended this tour to some of our friends. We will definitely be back and are ashamed to say we've lived in Phoenix for many years and hadn't done it before. Thanks again for a great experience!

Mesa, Arizona
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Awesome fun for non-adventurous & Adventurous alike”
Reviewed April 9, 2011

We found this adventure on Groupon and so we could not pass it up. Overall this was an excellent deal.

Scheduling the date was a bit irritating. We scheduled 3 times and all 3 times they cannot confirm the date until a few days before the Friday or Saturday (our Groupon is only good Fri-Sun). The first time we had to cancel and reschedule, but before we received confirmation. The second time we were confirmed 2 days before, but then I had to cancel the next day when I found out it was for certain going to rain. I assume someone else cancelled. Then the third time we received confirmation on 6April for 8 April.

The problem with this is that we had to put other plans on hold because we did not know if we would be scheduled on a Friday or Saturday, nor whether it would be in the morning or afternoon. That was just irritating. If we did not have Groupons, we would just have skipped it. Which makes me wonder if this only happens to people with Groupons.

The weather on Friday morning was cool and slightly overcast. Almost perfect considering this is April and the temperature is normally over 100 by now. We had a short & solid safety briefing before getting underway. They had helmets and goggles. We chose to wear our sunglasses for comfort, but we brought the goggles just in case. If it had been very dusty the goggles would probably have been necessary.

They did not provide any bandanas to wear over our mouths and we did not bring any. If it had been really dusty (if no recent rains), we would have regretted it more seriously.

They divided us into 2 groups. Since adventure activities are always limited by the slowest or least experienced person, our first concern is who is going to slow us down and how much. We had a very young boy, maybe 14, and his mother who wore very brief shorts (unprepared). Since I had only ridden an ATV once in Cancun and my wife had never ridden one by herself, I was not too concerned about the boy as some kids can ride circles around adults on these things. The unprepared woman was a definite concern. But it turns out the boy has never ridden an ATV before and is just your normal kid.

They start you out slowly so you can get used to these vehicles which can be very dangerous if you are not smart. But after 25minutes we are still going 5-10mph and I am thinking about whether I should make an issue of this or just turn back and whether my wife will be upset with me. Regardless, continuing at 5-10mph for the whole trip would far more aggravating than just turning back. At the next break when our guide asks how we are doing, I dejectedly asked if we were going to do 5-10 mph the whole trip. He said they have to go with slowest, but I could check with the other group’s guide to see if we can switch. Thankfully the other guide had slow folks and we redistributed fast/slow folks.

Now my wife and I are the slow people. That is saying something since we were not going slow at all. I was so totally impressed with how fast my wife was going that I spent the whole trip worrying about her as I followed behind. Nonetheless, it was blast after this point. The well worn trails are excellent and it is hard to get lost.

The fact that my wife (and I) did not wreck is in great measure due to these excellent vehicles that handle very well (Grizzlies?).

You can do the tour or just rent the ATV’s. Take the tour if you have never ridden ATV’s or are relatively less adventurous. If you have ridden before, I would highly recommend you rent the bikes and skip the tour.

They said you don’t need a camera because they will take pictures and the dust can mess up your camera. He is absolutely correct as we found out on a previous desert adventure tour. Our brand new camera was almost ruined by the fine dust. We were able to clean it with some air and after a while it worked fine. However, he neglected to mention that they charge you for the pictures online. Fortunately the cost was minimal and reasonable and so I was not so upset. Six 4x6 pics at $0.21 plus $2.95 S&H. But they might mention that little detail ahead of time.

$150 per person sounds like a lot for 3 hours of fun, but considering how much these bikes cost to buy, insure, maintenance, tow, store, license, repair etc, it is most definitely a bargain. Unless you ride them at a minimum of every month, renting rules!

1 Thank clevel60
Plainfield, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“WOW....A real adventure”
Reviewed April 2, 2011

Not one of those fake guided ATV tours this was the real off road adventure you are looking for. Chad took us on a challenging ride that was enjoyed by all in our group. Only regret was we didn't get to see him take out one of those rattlesnakes he bragged about. We will remember this for years! Thanks!!!!!!

Visited March 2011