“Excellent Dining Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Neighborhood: Downtown Scottsdale
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
“Excellent Dining Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We had been out for a day trip and ask our Lexus Destination Assist for a steak house. They gave us the name of Modern. It was a great choice. The food was great and the portion just right. What a great way to end the day.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Such a nice place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I love the decor of this place.

It's white on the inside and just has an elegance about it, without being too stuffy. The service staff was very friendly, which made it very pleasant for us.

I went here with my fiance for lunch. There were maybe 10 people there total, we went on a weekday.

Our hostess was very nice, and our server had a lot of personality (in a good way).

We got our waters, and there were a lot of water spots on our glasses. We requested new glasses, but the ones we received to replace them also had water spots (though not nearly as many as the two prior).

The lunch menu didn't have a lot of steak options, which was a bit disappointing but we expected as much because it was only noon.

We asked for recommendations from the server, it was my first time there and my fiance had a burger and fries the one time she went here. Our server recommended the chicken dish for me and the salmon for my fiance.

He hit it out of the park!

Chicken was moist, and came on top of this sweet potato puree that was delicious.

The salmon had a wonderful glaze on it and was a delight.

I have to take off 1 star because judging from the other tables, we lucked out and received top of the line service and the potential for iffy service definitely exists (luck of the draw).

Would definitely recommend this for dinner or lunch. I will definitely be going back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Loved the Steak, Loved the Appetizers, AMAZING BREAD, The Decor is for her, Excellent Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was my third night of steaks in Scottsdale and frankly I believe it was my best.

THE BREAD IS AMAZING, all I remember is that is was warm and impossible to put it down.

We were eating late and coming from a busy day. I started with a caesar salad which was nice. The 2-way wedge salad looked awesome but large. I would split that next time.

I was not real hungry so I ordered the 8 oz midwest prime filet. Could not decide if I wanted that or the 10o oz all natural american beef. I tried the 10 oz and liked the flavor of my midwest prime.

We ordered many sides, Cheesy Broccoli, Roasted Mushrooms, parmesan truffle fries (good) and enjoyed everything.

Great wine.

I think we had desert but I do not recall.

Good experience, I am not much for the white and powder blue color scheme. I like something a little more masculine. But that would not keep me from returning...it was a wonderful meal.

• Visited January 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Bad Service, Average Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Went to Modern Steak on Dec 27, 2012. Went at 12:00 noon. Had the Kobe beef Burger and Fries... burger good, fries cold and cold grease tastes terrible. Asked for an extra pickle... never got it. Friend had $20 steak salad. Steak was in chunks with little greens... dressing unmemorable... took waitress forever to get bread. All in all, I would never go back. Expensive for what is delivered.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Slightly pretentious but a decent steak”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

This restaurant located in the Scottsdale Mall tries to combine a colonial style hotel lobby decor with an upper-end steak menu. To some extent it does achieve this; the decor is superb.
I would say that the restaurant is somewhere on the scale between Outback and Quality Meats (New York) and delivers a rounded seasoned steak with interesting sides (Sweet potato pie and marshmallow) at okay prices...
There is an air of pretension about the place (that I feel could be unwelcoming to the average diner)...saying that, if you can get past the "you're-not-worthy" atmosphere when you walk in then you can prepare yourself for a lovingly cooked, well-tempered steak meal.

Visited December 2012