“Talking Stick - a winner”

Talking Stick Resort
Ranked #41 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I recently purchased tickets to see Tim Allen perform at TS. Decided to book a hotel room to make a night of it. Checked in at 3 with no hassle (check in time is 4). Friendly and efficient at front desk. The room was on the 8th floor overlooking the vast pool(s) area, golf course and expansive view of the desert. The decor was beautiful - very contemporary and soothing colors. Room came equipped with large screen TV, small refrigerator and coffee maker (Keurig-but it didn't work). The bathroom was awesome with large separate show plus a tub, Great design. Enjoyed a drink prior to dinner at a bar on the casino floor. Sat at a small table that needed to be bussed and wasn't the 15 minutes we sat there. We had to move to the bar itself and enjoyed a generous glass of wine. Of the few dining options we chose the buffet. Thought it pricey (more so than most casino buffets) but the quality of the food was great. Kobe steaks, NY strip roasts, mahi mahi. There was an Italian, Mexican and Asian section. King crab legs were a big hit along with shrimp and mussels. Salads with lots of toppings, mixed veggies, etc. Very impressive. The dessert section was awesome though I didn't partake. But there were many sweet options served up in small 3-4 spoonful servings. You could enjoy several varieties without wasting a full size dessert. There was also a great gelato section with lots of options. Overall a nice experience for a quick get-away for the evening. P.S. TIm Allen was hysterical.

Room Tip: Make sure you get to the buffet early as the lines get very long throughout the evening.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 31, 2014

My review of Talking Stick Resort casino & hotel comes with a lot of credibility because you can see that I have reviewed many other casino hotels on TA. We always try to stay at the nicest casino hotels when we travel and we always stay in a suite. This was by far our worst casino hotel experience ever.

I don’t care how “upscale” this place appears in advertisements and on their web site, the entire hotel, including our room, was filthy. Dust and dirt accumulated along the base boards, carpets soiled and coming apart at the seams, q-tips and filth in the hallways, MOLDY GROUT in the shower, bath fan not working, bath rug worn out, we could not believe what we were seeing !

Our executive “suite” was nothing more than an average size hotel room and we could not even enjoy our balcony because the building is so poorly designed that the balconies have no privacy whatsoever from the balcony of the adjacent room. Our neighbors were constantly out on their balcony and so we could not even enjoy a little private time out on our balcony. What a lousy design !

But even worse was the behavior of the employees and the card dealers.

The women who checked us in was so confused about how to get to our room that it took her about 5 minutes to figure out where our room was located. At one point she actually had to go look at Blue Prints of the property printed on huge sheets just to figure out how to explain the way to our room.

The walk from our car in the parking lot to our room was the longest we've ever experienced, about 1,200 feet and through the casino, yes, THROUGH THE CASINO ! We actually had to carry our bags between rows of slot machines to get to our room. Even if you choose to valet park it's a very long walk through the casino to the rooms in the hotel.

When we finally found the elevators we asked an employee if there was a faster way to our room to which he replied: NO. Then, he rudely suggested that we might like it better at the Hampton Inn down the street. We have never been spoken to so rudely by a hotel employee !

In the elevator we could not find a button for our floor. We had to get back out of the elevator and hunt down an employee who informed us that the 12th floor is numbered C1 and the 13th floor is numbered C2. Wow, how incredibly stupid ! and the woman who checked us in did not bother to tell us that.

I love playing blackjack and I have never witnessed a shouting match at a blackjack table and here on a Thursday night I witnessed TWO such incidents that easily could have turned into fist fights including one at the table where I was playing ! Sitting near angry drunken men screaming the F word at each other is not what I call a good time. I kept wondering why the dealers and pit bosses were tolerating this behavior and I think the answer is the same for everyone working there, the management is terrible and they are letting the place go to hell.

This pace is so sleazy that by 10:30 in the evening on a Thursday night two skimpy dressed strippers sat at my blackjack table and encouraged strangers to place bets for them. The dealer had to keep telling the strippers that they had to “touch” the money before he would accept their bets. How do I know they were strippers? Because they only played hands when someone placed bets for them and they spent the rest of their time sitting out hands and talking out loud about the club where they strip and using filthy language and talking about having sex with the customers at their strip club. It does not get much sleazier than that so I had to leave the blackjack table where I was having a run of good luck and move to another table. Once again, the dealer did nothing to control the situation.

We could not even get out of this place at 7:30 in the morning without being offended one last time by a drunken woman sitting on a man’s lap at a bar who was yelling at people in the casino including at us. Of course, if we did not have to walk back through the casino to get out to our car the drunk woman would not have an opportunity to yell at us from the bar. Once again, management did nothing to stop her.

Forget about luck gambling, you’ll need luck here just to survive the walk to your room, the filth in the hallway and in your room, and you’ll be lucky if you don’t witness a fight in the casino. Best to just stay away, take it from me.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank BrunoKnowsBest
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I have stayed here more than 6 times and found the hotel a great place. Rooms are comfortable, modern and most have great views. Orange Sky restaurant excellent, service spotty but food and wine great. Other restaurants in the hotel are good as well. Casino too smoky and they will need to fix because non smokers are getting to be the majority. I don't gamble at night because of the smoke. We had a complaint about noise in a neighboring room last time and eventually it was taken care of, but it took longer than I expected. Overall, I will stay again since I do not judge on one visit. Spa was excellent and reasonably priced. Golf course for golfers but I have not tried it.

Room Tip: Upper rooms facing the desert but hotel is smoke free which is helpful.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Not only is this a great place to relax and eat, but the people watching is top notch! The food was delicious and priced just about right. I like the late night options. The rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Very nice Resort, but located in middle of no where. But to overcome that, the hotel has a shuttle which will take you around the nearby shopping areas. The room services is nice and quick. I love the in room dining service. There are quite a few dinning options for people staying there. Orange Sky Restaurant located at penthouse level has amazing view of the city and the food is excellent too.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I recently spent two nights in Room #1044 and I found it to be an interesting experience.

The room is a standard, not too large room with a single king size bed. The decor is ULTRA modern with colors consisting of black, white, grey and tan. If this type of decor is not to your liking, you will not be happy here.

The standards are here, small fridge, coffee maker, ironing board, but, the very nice un-expected touch was the robe in the closet. I did not expect that.

While the bed was comfy, the sheets were a bit unusual (and a little uncomfortable) due to whatever it was that they were made of. I believe that they were designed to be more sanitary than the normal sheets.

The bathroom was a standout. Sliding door to get in, muted yet excellent lighting. shower, large bathtub, I have to say that it was the nicest part of the room.

The view was ok.

One of the things that I do like about Talking Stick is that to get to the tower where the rooms are, you must show your keycard to the security desk. This keep people from the casino fro just wandering the halls, major kudos to whoever thought that up.

I only peeked at the gym, looked very nice and well equipped. If you are a gym person, you will like the fact that it is open 24 hours a day.

Room service is available but be prepared for sticker shock.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the west are going to have a view of the 101 Freeway and may be have a bit higher no...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank creeker000
Reviewed May 21, 2014

If you need some peace then head to this Desert Resort. Very stylish rooms and restaurants. Beautiful sunsets and giant cactus..total representation of Arizona. You need a car to travel to downtown Scottsdale or any attractions. Nice place overall :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo