“Lost - but had fun!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 79 Hotels in Scottsdale
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Lost - but had fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

This is our second time to the talking stick and we had fun. I lost, but my sister won.

Rooms ate great, but getting a bit pricey. We loved the restaurant- the blue coyote. Great food, and fun to sit outside.

It is one of the only smoking place I've in in a long time. So if you don't smoke be prepared.

We haven't been here for any of the shows, but looks like some top shows.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I guess it all depends on your perspectives. As a frequent traveler around the world and one who has seen casinos before, the Talking Stick is, to me, a standard casino hotel. Now, here is the rationale. If you are comparing it to Las Vegas casinos it wouldn't stack up well to many of them. So, it is not an MGM or Palazzo, maybe more along the lines of the Riviera if you could understand that. If you compare to Atlantic City - nicer than the Trump, maybe more like Ceasers. If you are an area local it is certainly a very nice place to visit. The casino is VERY smoky - and considering this hotel is only a few years old it is amazing that an air filtration system is not in place - and if it is, they need a new one. I couldn't imagine what it's like when the area hits 120 degrees and you walk into this smoke. If you like Poker, there is a big 500 seat poker lounge. Black jack is the other table game they have decent tables for and with $10 minimums it's open to all. The craps is just one table of the electronic version and the slots are plentiful - mostly low denomination quarters and pennies. I thought it was funny that the high roller slot room was $1+. So, if you have a small wad of cash and like dollar machines you could be a high roller in Scottsdale.

I am going to assume you're visiting this hotel for the casino, otherwise there wouldn't be much other reason to be here. I have not seen other AZ casinos so no comparisons, maybe this is the ultimate one, maybe not. The other features of the property were more impressive. Once I got used to realizing that ":views" here would be lots of dirt from every direction and the distant pretty mountains, I enjoyed the amenities of the rooms. The rooms were large and decorated pleasantly. They had free wifi and very up-to-date electronics, pod coffee maker, charging stations, phones - absolutely better than most hotels I have been in lately. So, big plus on the rooms, the cleanliness, etc.

The staff throughout the hotel was fabulous - very friendly and helpful. They said there were several restaurants, but they count the fish bar and coffee stand as two, so not impressed with that. But their 24 hour casual coffee shop was excellent - amazingly quick service and very fresh food. There is a steak house at the top tower which is the GEM of the property. Amazing atmosphere - this was the defining moment for the hotel. They also have a buffet which I I had dinner at and the quality and selection was hands-down better than most Vegas buffets I have been to. I believe dinner was $22 or something like that. Well worth it - extremely good quality selections with no mac and cheese or low end fare.

All in all, the food was fresh, the rooms very nice and well equipped, people great, the convenient shuttle run by the hotel was a bonus as well. I imagine that a person wouldn't fly across the country for Talking Stick as a destination, but if you are nearby or needing a little poker or slot action, this would be a great place to spend a couple of days.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

You have to walk through smoke to get to your "No Smoking" room. The room was large and trendy. One thing I noticed was that the mirror in the bathroom was lower than most other hotels. The desk was comfortable and worked well for my nightly meeting wrap up.
I suppose if you didn't have to check in next to the casino and get all smoky, it would be a nice stay.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the lower level- the hotel is a pretty long walk from the check in desk.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Saint Johns, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Date of Stay 22 February 2013 to 24 February 2013.

There are only a few things that would make the Talking Stick Resort Better and they are...
1. Price for the rooms are a little high (avarage $200.00 a night)
2. Price for the Sunday Brunch a little high for what you get.
3. Drink prices were also very high at $5.75 a beer. It is better to go to the store and get what you want and put it in your refrigerator.

Now on to the good things the Talking Stick has to offer...
1.The rooms are new, spacious and clean.
2. All the staff I encountered were very pleasant.
3. It is one of the more high energy casinos that I have been to in Arizona.
4. The views from the Resort are very beautiful.
5. The Pools are heated. (did not have time to take a dip)
6. The Black Jack tables were staffed with some of the most pleasant dealers I have come across anywhere.

The bottom line is I would stay here again! Even if it is slightly over priced.

1 Thank NRC072
Rocky River
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed via a hotwire deal two nights. The hotel is attached to a Casino, and the complex is isolated from other suburban surroundings so you will need a car if you want to do more than gamble or golf.
The room was bigger than most rooms, with a large shower and a tub, a nice feature. Bed was comfortable. Low noise level, good for sleeping. The room was clean, newer and generally comfortable. Heating and cooling was fine. The fitness center was nice, with a few aerobic machines and dumbbell set. Very little interaction with staff, but generally polite. For most business and casino stays, the hotel is certainly adequate.
My problem is the hotwire rating was 4 stars, with corresponding price, and there were too many small things wrong for 4 stars. Room service came with two mistakes, and food was below average for room service at 4 star hotels. TV had limited channels, remote did not work great, and you could not order movies. Linens were older and only one bar of soap provided – small things and again, adequate, but not 4 star. Overall, I think you can do better in Scottsdale for other 4 star rated hotels.

• 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Reginald666
Mishawaka, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband surprised me with a night at Talking Stick Resort. Our package included two 60 minute massages. Our room was on the 9th floor. Beautiful room. Lovely balcony. However, the view was of what i'd have to guess was the kitchen. We couldn't use the balcony due to the extremely strong smell of cooked food coming from the exhaust fan below us. We paid full price for this room and should have been given a room with a decent view, not one of a rooftop and certainly not right over the kitchen exhaust. And the tv remote didn't work for changing channels nor did the manual channel button on the tv.

The resort is beyond beautiful. The room was modern and clean and comfortable. We ate at the buffet for dinner and sunday brunch and won a decent amount in the casino. The spa is wonderful! I would definately go there again, but next time I will make sure we have a room in a more desireable location with a balcony we can actually enjoy.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not over the kitchen exhaust fan. We were in room 902 and couldn't use the b...
1 Thank Kristyaz1
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband had a business trip and so I went along with him and we took our 3 month old baby with us. The resort is not bad. Very nice hotel rooms that are a good size with good amenities. I didn't spend much time in the casino but my husband bought food for me from the restaurants and it was just average. However, there is one restaurant that sells various different tarts and those were very tasty so if you have a chance get one. We had the strawberry tart, coconut tart and peanut butter tart - all very good. What I did not like was the location of the resort, it is out in the middle of nowhere so a car is a definite must.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family