“Pretty good, but could use improvement”

Talking Stick Resort
Ranked #41 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Rocky River, Ohio
“Pretty good, but could use improvement”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I spent a few days here for a conference. The first thing I noticed walking in was the smell of cigarette smoke from the casino. This surprised me as I've noticed most casinos have high end ventilation systems that eliminate the scent. The rooms looked very nice and the beds were very comfortable, but the lighting was so dim in the room and the bathroom! Also, there weren't enough outlets. They were in odd spots as well. The hook for robes/towels was far from the shower. It just seems like the rooms were put together with aesthetic consideration, but not any realistic thought. The spa was very nice but of course, overpriced. Also experience the far away hook for robe/towel in their shower area so you had to run across the public (women only at least!) area to grab it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Omaha, NE
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here February 5 - 14, 2013. Booked through Hotwire. I wasn't too excited about having the casino on site due to the clientel it can draw but couldn't change after booking. That really wasn't a problem but the smoking was. You have to walk from one end of the casino to the other when you are coming and going from the hotel. Maybe early in the morning the smoke wouldn't be too bad but most of the time it was. The lounge and two of the restaurants are right in the casino...we never used them. The 24 hour restaurant and the coffee bar are downstairs and you can still smell the smoke. Fortunately the hotel is smoke free and they have managed to keep the smoke out. The Orange Sky restaurant and 270 degree lounge on the 15 th floor of the hotel are very nice, a great view and smoke free. The pool area is great! The food we did eat at the hotel was very good and reasonably priced. We found the service to be very good contrary to some of the other reviews. The hotel rooms are some of the best we've stayed in.

They do have one large room that is non smoking for gambling. I would recommend they make that the smoking area and the rest of the area non smoking.

If smoke doesn't bother you I'd recommend staying there but if it does I'd find another place to stay.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

This is a nice place. I came in off season. The staff mostly slugged around and seemed bothered when I needed something. They were argumentative at times. The cashier staff was especially rood when I wanted a cashier check for my winnings instead of cash. They treated me as if I was a criminal. Rooms rates are over priced for this area.

• Stayed February 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel twice, mostly just as a weekend getaway and to check it out. We lived in the Phoenix area for two years. Neither of us gamble and we both are repulsed by cigarettes. So I was very concerned the first time we walked in and everyone was sitting in the casino smoking away and I was choking to death walking to our room. Thankfully, the filtration system seems to work very well, as our hotel room did not have the smell of smoke or cigarettes. We did, however, I am pretty sure on both occasions, book a room on the "club" level, which is the top two levels. I cannot speak for the smoke issue on any other floors/rooms. Also, for a casino hotel, our rooms on both visits were very quite and we got a great night sleep every night.

The rooms were very, very nice with great beds. The bathrooms are very big and fancy with nice walk in showers. The food service that comes with the club level is decent but you certainly aren't going to get full eating up there. For us though it was worth it just to have the nicer, room that was very quite.

Parking can be a pain. Self-parking is, thankfully, free, but you may have to walk a great distance. Drive towards the parking "garage" and park in there. It has a nice connection to the casino, and close to the elevators to the rooms. Probably the best option unless you want to pay for valet.

I would rate the "location" of this hotel as not very good. If you just want to gamble, then obviously it is a great location. However, if you are interested in hanging out and exploring Scottsdale, then you are not really anywhere near Scottsdale. At least not walking distance anyway. To be fair, by car, you are probably only 10 minutes, maybe 15, depending on where you want to go, but a car is an absolute must for anything you want to do in Scottsdale. If you have a car though, and don't mind driving a little, you may find really great rates at this hotel compared to a comparable hotel right in the heart of Scottsdale.

During both of our stays we unfortunately never got a chance to visit the pool area but it looked very nice from our hotel room so I would definitely look into that. We never ate in any of the restaurants/buffets in the hotel so no comment on the food. I think we had room service for breakfast once and it seemed like nothing special.

If you have a car, then I highly, highly recommend a short trip to a restaurant called the Daily Dose in Scottsdale. I would drive 45+ minutes from outside Phoenix to eat here for breakfast. The breakfast is amazing....best pancakes I have ever had and french toast is great as well. You won't want to miss it.

Last thing I will add is just an odd observation from two stays at the Talking Stick Resort. I saw countless people bring "coolers" into the hotel and up to their rooms. Not exactly the type of behavior you'd expect for a hotel of this nature. Not sure if it has to do with being a casino or what but it just seemed like countless people where dragging coolers full of beer into their hotel rooms. I only mention so that others know it clearly seems to be permitted and not at all frowned up.

Room Tip: Stay on the club level (two floors).
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeffrey D
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My wife and I took advantage of special offer to stay at Talking Stick. It was amazing. The room was so unique. The frosted glass, tile showers were beautiful. The room was not large but well situated. It was new and interesting. I enjoyed the room and it was convenient to get to the casino.
No illusions about the Casino, it is smokey as are most casinos in Arizona. For those who are from other parts of the country that don't have casinos, be prepared for the a little discomfort. The casino is not known for its restaurant. Unfortunately, many of the tribes don't get the whole idea of customer service. For now, the casino has a popularity the can surpass the poor service and sometimes flippant attitude of the staff.
I don't go to the casino for the food but for the games. I will stay at Talking Stick again. I would be nice if the tribe would take a look at how they could improve the service and experience. They certainly are being paid for it.
I highly recommend the hotel and casino.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there with another couple who were locals. It was close to the bars in Scottsdale so it is cheap cab ride to entertainment area. It's a nice hotel.. Room was roomy with a nice bathroom and view of the pool. Casino is small but nice. The restaurant downstairs have good food. Definitely would stay there again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

As others have written you can't go anywhere in this hotel with going through the smoker dominated casino. Additionally people are allowed to smoke in all the public areas including elevators and hotel corridors. Service is poor in the restaurants and bars. Waited 20 minutes to get a drink in the bar on multiple occasions. Bars and restaurants are understaffed. Unless you must simply stay there because of the casino, don't waste your money. Hotel rooms are large and well appointed but they are not worth the poor service and fog of cigarette smoke.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends