“Excellent again!”

Talking Stick Resort
Ranked #40 of 76 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed here earlier this week for a few days between the poker tournament and the Yes concert. We were comped 2 nights stay after staying last Christmas break. We are not high rollers so we were very happy to receive the offer. We checked in around 2 PM (early) with east view of the pool/golf course and higher floor. All requests were honored even though it was a comp! The room is immaculate, has a Keurig coffee maker, free coffee & tea pods and a small refrigerator. There are also many places to plug in your electronics so was not a hastle with my and my husband's. The bathroom is beautiful and large with separate bathtub and shower. The best place to eat at a really good price is Ocean Trails. We ate most of our meals there again. It is Louisanna style seafood and delicious. The hotel is non-smoking so that is wonderful. They have happy hour from 4-7 pm with reasonably priced drinks. Several bars or they will bring to you while gambling. The cocktail waitresses are friendly and plentiful even playing penny slots. The casino is a little smokey but it all depends on the day or time of year. During the winter/spring/fall they open doors between the hotel and the casino and the smoke goes outside but with that said, it is newer so the ventilation system is pretty darn good. Didn't use the pool but looked inviting. Just too hot for us, 110 degrees outside. They have a spa also but neither of us were interested in that. Both my husband and I received a few hand pays from the slots and came back with more money than expected which makes for a great trip. The poker room is non-smoking also. We prefer this resort to going to Las Vegas anymore. Close (2 hours), friendly, great comps, great rooms, food, etc. Where in Vegas can you get a refrigerator and Keurig coffee for free in a really nice resort? Go during the week and the place isn't horribly busy either. Another plus to not staying on the strip. My husband and I highly recommend this resort/casino. FYI - we don't smoke and still had a blast.

Room Tip: East side rooms are cooler in the summer months and face the pool and golf course. Keep the blinds s...
1  Thank Flag1_11
Write a ReviewReviews (1,245)

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I love this resort. They have everything you need for a great relaxing weekend. Big beautiful pool, great restaurant and a casino, and spa facilities . Nice buffet with great food choices or if you want it a little more formal, the Orange sky restaurant on the 10th floor is just fabulous!! It features a infinity pool and breathtaking views, especially at sun set. For a date night ask for a privat booth.

Room Tip: We prefer pool side rooms because we like to look down on the pool especially at night.
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We opted for the Signature King room which is probably the nicest suite I have ever stayed at. 20 foot ceilings and a decadent bathroom with huge soaker tub and separate tiled shower sealed the deal for me. It was spectacular. The casino area wasn’t too smoky but there was only a slight stench as you walk through the casino which can’t be avoided when walking to your room. We were also regulars at the great sushi happy hour. Next time I’m going to enter a Texas holdem tournament

Room Tip: Signature King room
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Snicker67
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The Breakfast Buffet is a great value at $10 per person. Additionally, if you sign up for a player's card, you'll have $4 credit you can use at the restaurants, making it a $6 breakfast.

The food at the breakfast buffet is great. There's a great selection of fresh fruits, including rasberries, blackberries, and strawberries. As for hot food, there's an omlette station cooking your eggs and omlettes to order. The other highlights are chorizo scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, steaks, and fresh slab bacon. Awesome. Additionally, there's an assortment of many other dishes to compliment the main items.

We've been to many buffets - probably nearly all in Las Vegas - and I can tell you that this buffet holds its own against all others. The food is fresh and very tasty. The selection is great.

The only issue the Casino's strange policy of ending Breakfast promptly at 10:30am. They actually tell all the customers as it gets close to 10:30am that they will be closing down and to go get what you want before they rope off the food area. This policy is clearly their method to prevent people from showing up at the end of Breakfast only to stay for the change-over to lunch. (Lunch starts at 11am). Be sure to get there early so you're not rushed to finish by 10:30am.

If you do end up getting there after 10am, they will tell you upon entering that they promptly close at 10:30 and that the server will let you know. If that's the case, just load up excessively on everything you might want. This will, of course, create food waste, but it's the casino's fault for having such a strange closure policy.

I think a better policy would be to go ahead and close the register at 10:15am and let those that paid for breakfast a reasonable time to finish. Just my two cents.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Remo_Gaggi
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Check in was a breeze even though we were early. The desk clerk was pleasant and helpful. The room was spotlessly clean with a very modern decor. The bathroom was out of this world, best I have seen in all the hotels we have stayed in.The beds were so comfortable I hated to get up. The breakfast buffet was the best, the dinner buffet was a little expensive,I thought, so we did not eat there for dinner. There is a
bistro place that has great sandwiches very reasonably priced.Casino was fun even though we did not win.The only negative thing I can say about our stay was the room was on the ground floor and we felt like we had been sent to the basement. We had a patio and the only view we had was to the back of the cabanas at the pool.There was a fountain but we were so low we could not even see the water in the fountain.Our room faced a courtyard.Not to pretty. If we decide to go back we will definitely ask for an upper floor. I dont think you will be disappointed with your stay.

Room Tip: do not take a ground floor room
1  Thank cactusart
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Clean, great pool, nice buffet, and casino to boot. A gem in the Scottsdale area. Try the Orange sky restaurant on the top, you won't be dissatisfied ....We stayed there on a promo weekday deal and the pool was empty... Great place to escape

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I stayed here a few Saturdays ago with some girlfriends and we had a great time. I will say my lungs ached a bit after 24 hours, due to the smoke, but the casino was waaaay better than other smoky casinos I have been to. We gambled alot and went to the club. The music at the club was good and bad (Baby Got Back...really?????) but it was still really fun. The late night bites at the Fig restaurant was affordable and good. Although I have to question my decision to buy a greasy cheeseburger and fries at 1 am.

We stayed in one of the Club level rooms and that was top-notch. The views and accommodations were gorgeous. We did have a bug problem but maintenance was responsive. The club level lounge was a true treat. It offers complimentary beer, wine, champagne, and light bites from 4-7. The light bites were California rolls, lo mein, egg rolls, veggie tray, chips and salsa, and mini desserts. We got drunk and left with full bellies...score! Veronica, one of the conceirge staff, was simply amazing. She was friendly, attentive, and accommodating. The next morning, light breakfast was complimentary, too, in the lounge. It was a choice of two quiches, cereal, oatmeal, a mango parfait, and fresh fruit. I also really enjoyed the Peet's Coffee espresso machine that made espresso, mochas, etc. And again, the service was impeccable.

I enjoyed the pool on Sunday morning (when it was quiet) but not so much on Saturday afternoon. I was lucky to snag a lounge chair at 4 pm during their pool party amidst all of the "reserved" chairs for people that had been gone for hours. There should be some preference towards guests over outside visitors. Plus, I laid out for almost an hour and not once did any wait staff come by. I noticed they definitely catered to the rowdy groups of drinkers, though. After walking to the bar, I found my pina colada to be reasonable priced at $8 and tasted delicious.

Overall, great place to stay with no need to leave the premises once you are there.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends