“Excellent Hotel stay / poor restaurant”

Talking Stick Resort
Ranked #40 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Yuma
“Excellent Hotel stay / poor restaurant”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

The Hotel was fantastic. Excellent staff. Clean room. We stayed in a "EXECUTIVE KING" on the Northeast corner of the hotel tower on the eleventh floor. Great view of the golf course and pool not to mention the never ending view of Scottsdale and surrounding area. The walk in rain shower was very nice. The private balcony was very nice as well. I made 7:45 PM reservations for dinner at the "Orange Sky" Restaurant on the top floor. We arrived at 7:30 PM and were seated right at 7:45. I was impressed already. The dinning room was very elegant with a great view. We ordered a bottle of wine and the server took our orders and it took them 45 minutes for the wine to get to our table and the an additional 15 minutes for our orders to arrive. My wife's beef tenderloin was cooked to perfection however my rack of lamb was almost raw. I sent it back and we didn't see the server again. I stopped another server and asked that she have the manager come talk to me. He apologized and took care of the bill for the wine and we left and went to a nearby steak house called "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse" which was where I wish we had gone to begin with.
The hotel itself is very nice. The cigar lounge with live entertainment was very comfortable. The pool was very clean and well staffed however during the summer on Saturdays the hotel has a pool party wherein they charge non-hotel guest the use of the pool, play very loud techno music and there were so many people, there was no place to sit. Every lounge chair was taken either by a person or some one's shirt or bag or something which means they have claimed that chair and got in the pool. I lasted about 15 minutes down there. The pool party starts at 11 AM and stops at 7 PM so if you're like me, don't plan on getting in the pool on Saturday.
The dueling piano show was ok, but the acoustics are bad. All in all I'd give this place five stars, but the Orange Sky really put a dent on our stay, but I will be back. I just will not eat at the Orange Sky.

Room Tip: Executive King on the North end of the tower has a very nice view and private balconies.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Randy A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Okemos, Michigan
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Talking Stick Resort - Scottsdale, AZ March 2012. We stayed at this hotel and casino as part of our annual winter golf trip. Rooms were clean, but a little dark. Service was great. Only criticism was I wish they had more lighting in the room! Food was great. Casio was great. As one of buddies would say "Booyah!" as the blackjack tables were giving it up for us. AZ doesn't have dice for some reason. Couldn't get on the poker tables as they were PACKED! Will consider again for future trips!

Room Tip: Book early as they fill up this time of year.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

I was disappointed when I pulled up to check in. I pulled into the hotel lane to check in and no one greeted me. I didn't know if I should wait or pull through, while debating the valet guys waved me thru to the exit. I drove back around and waited again, finally I just pulled thru and parked. Not one employee standing there talking to each other acknowledged me. The front desk lady was very nice and friendly, however she didn't offer any help in regards to parking and where the guest elevators were. The rooms were nice, modern design with plantation shutters. The beds were comfortable with average linens. The rain shower was a nice feature. The food in the restaurants and room service was average. The atmosphere was busy and bustling with people. There was a lot of options for entertainment, such as dueling pianos, a band etc. the gambling floor was busy, I had to wait for machines and space at the tables, but with all the stuff going on it didn't seem like it was a long wait. I wasn't overly impressed with this resort mostly the service,but the room was nice and we had a good time. If you are looking for a place that has a lot to do, average service, nice rooms, no resort or parking fees this place could work.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Solbonita
Brookings, OR
Reviewed June 10, 2012

The rooms are quiet, comfy, well-appointed. Great, reasonable breakfasts downstairs. Free shuttles to Old Town Scottsdale, and cheap metro transit to anywhere from there. A rental car will do you well for longer stays. Smaller backside pool is virtually empty: we had it to ourselves every time we went. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: East side rooms overlook the pool, but west side has the sunsets.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BruinPlayer
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Overall, the stay was fine, however apparently a big nose picker was I'm the room before us. The first thing I noticed when I laid down on the bed was a huge booger stuck to the headboard. Ugh. However, further discoveries didn't occur until morning. I found bloody boogers wiped on the duvet right at the top where my neck was. Since the duvet is essentially a sheet, I would hope that it would be changed with every guest, but apparently not. Not good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tabbywabby
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This was our first visit to the Talking Stick Resort and I know it will not be our last!
We were wowed from the moment we arrived. The hotel is modern, stylish and beautifully decorated. We stayed in a Club level room...I hesitate to use the word "room" to describe our accommodations, instead "suite" may best describe the size of our room. The decor is elegant and tasteful. And the staff at the resort have mastered "Customer Service". Robin LeMarr, Lead Concierge, was particularly helpful and gracious each morning.
The quality of the food available by the casino was a bit disappointing and could be improved. But for most of our stay, we ate outside of the resort.
On the whole, this is a great place to stay and play!

Room Tip: The higher floors have amazing views!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Williams, az
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My wife and I have been here twice now. I thought the first time might have been a fluke,
We stay in Vegas all the time and it always bothered me that we can't chill in the pool or hot tub late. We don't have this problem here.
This place really is great. The pool is 24hrs a day, The food is great. and the staff was helpful.
I will stay here when Im in Phoenix again.
I will also try thier golf next time.
We don't gamble much so it is hard to comment on that but everything else was perfect.

Room Tip: Pool view over the city view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple