“Memorable 39th Anniversary Stay at Talking Stick Resort”

Talking Stick Resort
Ranked #41 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Anthem, Arizona
“Memorable 39th Anniversary Stay at Talking Stick Resort”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We only stayed 1 night at this Resort. Arrived after 5:00 p.m. and left the next morning. Maybe it was because it was our Anniversary and maybe it was because we got a complimentary upgrade to the Club Level, but I (chose to), found nothing wrong with our magical short stay here!
Check-in was quick and friendly, the room was fabulous (roomy, clean and comfortable), the bathroom was amazing. Being Mother's Day weekend also, there was no option to do the $9.95 breakfast buffet and we didn't want to do the $42 Mother's Day Brunch. So it was a welcome surprise that management upgraded us to the Club level where we were treated to our own private evening and breakfast reception area at no charge. What's not to like about Champagne and Orange juice on your Anniversary/Mother's Day weekend!
On other occasions I might have been more critical and "looked" for shortcomings...but on this my 47th review I choose to find no fault with this resort and would recommend it to family and friends and will go back for sure!
Safe Travels!
/scarlett329

Room Tip: The rooms with the balconies looked amazing and I would like to get one of those on my next visit.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed May 14, 2012

It may not have the Vegas shows quite yet but the talent in the lounges is Great! Plus its free! The rooms are very updated with a bathroom like you've never seen! The staff is very professional and makes everyone feel like a million dollar winner even if you're not. I have stayed there since it opened and was just there this weekend. The quality has not changed at all. There are two pools which Im not sure most people know about. The larger pool which was very crowded if you like people watching and the smaller pool which seemed to be the pool you want to go to for peace and quiet.....Nice to have the choice:)

Prescott Valley, Arizona
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We had been in the casino and Orange Sky Restaurant for dinner a month ago, so we decided to stay 2 nights in the hotel on our way home from somewhere else. I had an offer for a regular room, but we upgraded to a room with a patio. The room was not really anything special, although it was new and very clean. They advertise refrigerators in the rooms, but it is one of those little cube ones which is enclosed in the built in cabinets and really can't get very cold. The bathroom has a slding door into it with no door inside the bath to the toilet area - I think there should be 2 doors between the bedroom and the toilet, which is what most upscale hotels do now. Our patio opened right onto a very public area as room 115 is the first one by the doors from the pool and large patio area for meeting breakfasts, etc. so it has a wall around it. I guess it's either walled privacy or everyone walks right by your patio - not very good choices. If we were to stay there again, we'd take a basic room or demand a different location for the upgrade.

Room Tip: If you want the upgrade room with a balcony or patio, go for the second floor where you will a balco...
2 Thank hvtrillo
Atlanta
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This resort is beautiful and the rooms are very very nice and comfortable. I stayed on 4th floor which was okay. My only complaint is the AC. It kept resetting itself to 73. I like it cold and I think maintenance came up at least 5x to "fix". Each time you manually turned it down to 67, it would magically reset itself to 73 after about 30 min. I finally just gave up on it. We did attempt to take the resort bus to old town but it never showed so we ended up taking a sedan. A bus schedule would have been nice. Other than the AC issue, the resort was very nice and I would probably stay here again. Maybe next time they will have a room where the AC doesn't reset itself.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed here for just over four days last month and had a great time. The casino itself is fun as it offers great food, fun games and lots of slots to choose from. I was, however, surprised to find that they didn't allow ANY dice games which was sad because I love to play CRAPS. I ended up finding a weird substitute game which has a glass bubble with two huge dice in the middle that a computer rolls for you, but it wasn't the same. Still, I was able to play for 1.5 hours with just $20. The buffet is very expensive on the weekends so if you can choose to do that on a weekday you will save $10 or more per person. The pool was probably the best aspect of this resort as it was filled with waiters serving poolside drinks, lots of people watching opportunities and nice music. The vibe is clean and fun. Overall the price is low for the rooms but you make up for it in gambling and food.
The only complaint I have is that the parking is absolutely a nightmare. Two days I had to get up 20 minutes earlier than usual just to travel down the hallway, down the elevator, through the casino and through the parking garage just to get to my car....thank GOODNESS I didn't have to work on the weekend....it was even worse!

PROS
Clean room
nice view (choose looking over the pool)
Good food (try the Coyote Sushi bar)
Nice Waiters and staff
Pool is GREAT!
Price is good (normal for a casino)

CONS
parking is not difficult and far walik (choose valet if possible)
small room
shower is straight down from the ceiling....strange
lighting is bad in bathroom

Room Tip: Always ask for a room close to elevators and overlooking the pool. Also, choose valet if possible be...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I just returned from a few days at a conference here. The hotel is about 2 years old and is in great condition. There is a little smoke smell in the casino area but about what you would expect from a casino. The rooms are nice and large. The distance from the airport is only 15-20 minutes. If you want to go somewhere close Scottsdale, the fashion mall, and Old Scottsdale are only about 6 miles away. We went to Wildfish and The Mission restaurants and would recommend either. There is a nice pool with towels and chairs available. There are several attendants in the pool area to get you food and beverage. They have a workout room with enough stuff to get in some exercise. Overall a good resort and enjoyable to visit. The only negative I had was an automatic $10 fee on your bill for bellmen which in my experience means they do nothing for you as they get this fee regardless of what they do. When we arrived the taxi driver unloaded our bags while the bellman watched and then he wached us roll our bags inside to find checkin. We also rolled our bags upstairs with no offer for assistance. I really don't mind taking my bags to my room but if you are going to charge do something for the fee.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
California
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I love this hotel, and I have stayed here several times. I actually reviewed this hotel last August. However, I stayed there a couple more times since then, and I have some additional comments:

Half the rooms face Scottsdale (West) and the other half face the desert (East). I found that I get much better cell phone reception if I stay on the side facing Scottsdale. I always request a room facing Scottsdale when I check in.

I have stayed in both the "Club" level rooms and the regular rooms. In my opinion, the regular rooms are a better value. The regular room is almost identical to the Club room. The Club room comes with a couple additional perks, like breakfast and drink coupons, but in my personal experience, the extra perks were not worth the premium price. I only stay in the regular rooms now.

As I said in my previous review, this is a great hotel, with a great casino, in a good location. I highly recommend staying here.

There is another casino hotel that is a short drive South of Phoenix. However, the rooms at Talking Stick are much bigger and nicer. After considerable research and investigation (and some trial-and-error), I have concluded that Talking Stick is my favorite hotel in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business