“LOVED this hotel for a getaway!”

Talking Stick Resort
Ranked #41 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Orange County, CA
“LOVED this hotel for a getaway!”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

This hotel is wonderful for the following reasons:
1) The rooms modern, fresh, and as another traveler said, the room feels like a private master suite. Rooms are romantic and considerably exceed expectations (they are better than the new W Hotel in Hollywood).
2) The food is AMAZING. Everything on the menu is exceptionally fresh and prepared with attention to detail. Sunday brunch is a great value and I swear that we would fly back for the crab claws alone. The seafood bar is also wonderful and the small bites items are large enough to share. I challenge anyone to offer fresher seafood for $10. Sit outside if it's not too hot.
3) Although small, the CASINO is very nice.
4) The pool is very nice and poolside drinks are $6, it's very reasonable, especially for us coming from Los Angeles. They have DJ's on big weekends and it's a fun party.
5) It's a cab ride to downtown Scottsdale, which is darling.
Overall, I think this property is great for an inexpensive escape--the food alone is worth a stay.
Enjoy!

1 Thank LagunaKon
TSR2010, Manager at Talking Stick Resort, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
LAGUNAKON - Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on why Talking Stick Resort is such a great escape. We're especially pleased that you were able to enjoy so many of the resort offerings and explore beyond our walls and see the excitement and artistic value of Old Town Scottsdale. We're having another pool party August 6th, if you can't make that on such short notice... Labor Day week(end) is going to be a great end to the summer! Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We came here for our 10th year wed anniversary. Dropped the kids off at a friends place and did a little one night stay-cation here in Phoenix. Staff is very friendly, helpful and courteous. Rooms are new, sleek, romantic, and modern looking. It doesn't feel like you're in a hotel room. It feels like you're in a really nice masterbedroom in someone's really nice home. Great places to eat on vicinity. You have to eat at Oceans Trail Bar. Gumbo is insanely good. They also have a really 24 hour diner (Blue Coyote) to have a late night snack. We also got 4 complimentary drinks (up to 25 dollar value for each drink) and 2 free breakfasts with a club room/awesome view of valley on the 13th floor for 135 dollars (advance pay). You can't beat that value. If you do let me know.

I'd definitely go back. We had such a blast. for a great value and for great quality service and experience.

I was hesitant to write this. Wanted to keep this gem a little secret. :o) But felt compelled to share the experience.

Room Tip: advance pay (club room)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tubely
TUBELY - We think all great secrets need to be shared, so we're pleased you didn't keep your experience to yourself! Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to share your Talking Stick Experience with your fellow travelers. I will personally agree with you on Ocean Trail, the Gumbo is amazing (or "insanely good", well put). With only 27 seats, it's no wonder there are so few that can find a seat to partake. 24-hour dining experiences, an entertaining casino and lounges, pools, spa, and golf... Why wouldn't you!? Thanks again Tubely!
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I came to the hotel resort in which I had booked 2 rooms for the Fourth of July weekend for friends and I to hang out by the pool. When I arrived, the attendant at the front desk could only find a reservation for one room. When I explained that I had booked two rooms, I was told they could not find the second room reservation (only found one), and there was nothing they could do for me. This was incredibly embarrassing and frustrating as I had friends in from out of town, and it was my responsibility to organize the entertainment for the day.

When I asked to speak with a manager, they informed me that one wasn’t available due to dealing with other reservation problems (our room wasn’t ready until an hour after the agreed upon check in time). When I made it clear that I would be willing to wait for a manager, Dustin (front office supervisor) arrived, and informed me the only thing he could do was “provide a rollaway bed free of charge”. This was incredibly disappointing customer service, and insufficient as one bed was not enough to accommodate our group.

The only logical conclusion that I could come to is that Dustin and the staff didn’t trust/believe that I made a reservation for two rooms. Otherwise some sort of equivalent accommodation would have been made. Instead I sheepishly went back to my friends and told them the best that could be done was one additional bed. I ended up paying $50 for a cab ride home because the extra bed was not enough.

I have never in my life written a letter like this, but as I said before this was incredibly embarrassing, and I was helpless to do anything to fix the situation. Now that I have begun reading other reviews I can see the pattern. The new hotel and rooms are very nice, but the service is dreadful!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jodantc
Reviewed July 1, 2011

The hotel staff is professional and friendly. The room that we stayed in was pretty good size and the bed was very comfortable.The lounge and the restaurant on the top floor of the hotel offer good food and a very beautiful view of the sunset. The Coffee shop at the ground floor is a must to visit. All in all this resort is a awesome place for a short stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
TSR2010, Manager at Talking Stick Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
We wanted to take a moment of your time to thank you for sharing your Talking Stick Experience. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed visiting us here in Scottsdale. Orange Sky on the 15th Floor is our jewel and we're proud to hear you enjoyed your visit and got to take in a gorgeous sunset. We look forward to having you as our guest and look forward to your return visit.
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed June 15, 2011

The rooms are beautiful and clean. The staff was very friendly everywhere we went from the pool bar, to the casinos. The pool was awesome, not too crowded. The spa was very nice too! During the day they have pool towels that you can get for free at the pool cabana. Had a great time swimming then gaming and drinking. NOTE: That if your gaming alcohol isnt free like Vegas. lol.. Overall a great experience and will definetly go back again!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view if you plan to swim. :)
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2011

My wife and I recently celebrated our 20th anniversary here, and we were treated like royalty by those who knew it was our 20th (the check-in staff, room service, etc.)... and we were also treated just as kindly and respectfully by the rest of the entire staff. I was very, very surprised at the level of professionalism, the kindness and warmth. I saw that the employees were very proud of their establishment. Even the security force was very pleasant and professional.

The room was SPOTLESS, and very well appointed. The King bed was more comfortable than mine at home. The champagne is worth it!

We ate at the Wandering Horse Buffet. Wide, wide variety of food for all types. And almost all of it very good (we tried to try it all!)

Make it a point to see the negative edge pool in the Orange Sky Restaurant on the 15th floor if possible. Beautiful view and unique location.

I have to briefly comment on the negative comments on the staff here. I felt like we must have been at two different places... not a negative word, look, vibe... from any single person there.

LOVED IT and THANK YOU for treating us so well!

S & K

Arizona
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This resort really is like a Mini-Vegas in the heart of Scottsdale! The room was spectacular, bed was comfy, and pool was clean and very relaxing! I am already planning my next stay!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family