“EPIC!!!”

Talking Stick Resort
Ranked #41 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I was so impressed with the facility, amenities, staff and all around experience at the Talking Stick resort. My friends and family stayed there for mine and my Fiances Bachelor/bachelorette party and we were treated like royalty! We were able to stay at the resort all day and night and partied the day and night away without stepping foot off the resort property! The hotel manager on duty, Michael, made sure that the staff was accommodating to our large and vivacious group! He made sure that we all had a great stay. The room quality was outstanding and well worth the cost of the room. I WILL be staying again in the near future and I have already referred a co-worker who was thinking of staying at the Arizona Grand Resort. I told him the only way to go is the Talking Stick Resort!

Falon Fuller

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,241)

Reviewed April 17, 2011

We booked a weekend get-a-way for my husbands birthday. I read all the reviews prior to booking and was on the fence if this was where we should spend our get-a-way from the daily grind. I was concerned about the negative reviews about the smoke, customer service etc. I went ahead and booked, figured there is only one way to find out. I am so glad that I did! I had added a note when booking that it was my husband's birthday. A few hours after booking concierge called me recommending Orange Sky restaurant for a nice dinner and we booked our reservations. I would highly recommend! Very classy place located on the top of the hotel. The views were amazing! We had two servers that were at our every need. They acknowledge my husbands birthday upon our seating and ended our dinning experience with a little birthday dessert. The food was pricey (I knew ahead of time) but it was really worth it.

The parking was easy and plentiful. The distance from the check-in to the hotel elevators is a hike and you do go through the casino to get there. The smoke wasn't as bad as I had expected. We spent our evening in the Poker Room where it was all non-smoking, so we were not effected.

The rooms were very nicely designed. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was amazing. The deep soaking tub and the rain shower was pretty cool too! I liked the fact that you had to be a hotel guest to be able to pass into the hotel section. There are no hotel fees, the internet is free and free parking. We booked the club suite which came with 4 free drinks and free breakfast in the morning. This ended up at a value of almost $100.

We arrived at 3:00 and got to the pool shortly after our arrive to catch some sun and swim. We were disappointed to discover that at that time the hotel totally shades the pool and there was no sun to catch. We discovered on the opposite side of the building there is a small pool that was private and it was obvious that not many people knew it was there.

Our overall stay was great. The staff was wonderful, the food was really impressive and there was a lot to do. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for a family vacation because of the smoke and the atmosphere is really geared toward adults and nightlife.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2011

The hotel is very nice and clean. It does seem that the hotel and pool were not first and foremost on their minds when built. We had a room on the ground floor, as we wanted a patio/balcony. To get to the room we had to go through thr casino, down a hall to an elvator, go down 1 floor to another long hallway which finally got us to our room. The pool is okay, expected something more though. The parking is a whole other issue. They do have valet if you don't mind waiting for your car. For the first few days we parked in the main parking lot and a golf cart driver would come by and shuttle you up to the hotel. We then started to park in the parking garage. Wish we would have done that sooner. Not many people park there so you can always find a spot right by the door and they do have security cameras as well as security on bicycles in the garage so it is safe.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2011

I won't repeat everything of previous reviews. Keep in mind it's true...must go through casino to get to hotel. But I was prepared and smoke wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Staff was professional and we had no problems during our 3 night stay. Scottsdale is not a cheap place to stay and we liked the location and felt value was good. Awesome pool and hot tub. There did seem to be some water issues in this hotel...could not get cold water from sink. Pool had a funny smell at times. But room was very clean and very quiet. Design of halls makes for uniquely quiet rooms. Ask for a room facing main pool and view is spectacular. Hotel is close to spring training fields but really nothing else. Will need a car for sure. Pool, while odd shaped, was great for lap swimming because it was about 75 yards at longest point. Had pool to myself each morning 7-8:30 am, and mid-evenings as well in late March. Parking was no problem in covered East lot--free and safe. Really enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jisha
Reviewed March 30, 2011

From the rude check in girl to the walk of shame through the middle of their casino it is ALL bad! I am literally in my room as I type and because they have a 72 hour cancellation policy I can't even get out of it without losing over 200.00!!! Heck...it might be worth it.
Don't waste your time. This place is a CASINO...not a resort! And they don't know the meaning of customer service.
Thanks for reading!

Room Tip: Nothing you can do.... seriously.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank jimandkellyk
Reviewed March 29, 2011

We stayed at the TSR 3/5-3/10 with mixed reviews. The good – nice rooms w/nice amenities, friendly valet & bell staff, descent buffet, happy hour, and sushi, availability and quality of pool chairs. The bad – clueless front desk staff, poor bar service at the pool (1 hour+ for a drink on Sat.!), always having to walk through smokey casino, long ways to parking and NO valet or parking available on Sat. night. The worst – The power went out while I was in the shower on Mon. night before dinner. Staff had no idea what was going on. We went out with wet hair, came back, still no power (except of course in the casino). Staff still had no clue. Slept at TSR anyway. Still no power in the morning. Still staff has no clue, but gave us vouchers for breakfast buffet. No hot water for morning showers. Played golf, came back, still no power. Front desk still didn’t know anything, but gave us dinner & breakfast buffet vouchers, a flashlight to go to our rooms to gather our belongings and sent us to a dumpy hotel with bugs for the night. At least we got a hot shower! When we returned they finally told us that it was a transformer and they were waiting for a part. The power finally returned late Wed. afternoon. It was chaos while we were there, so I chose to write the management when we returned home. No apology. They could have informed the staff, put us up at a nicer hotel, and offered some apology. Very poor handling of the situation. You could definitely see that it is the casino that matters to the TSR, not the hotel guests!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I stayed at Talking Stick one night in March 2011. It's brand new, so everything is shiny and clean. The rooms have a very modern feel, great views, and the bathrooms are so cool and futuristic.

However, the parking situation is still under construction. If you don't want to use the Valet you have to walk through almost the entire casino floor to get to the hotel section of the resort. The casino area smells like cigarettes, and by the time I got to my room I wanted to change my clothes!

Once in the rooms, they are great. The bed is comfy, the TV is a nice flat screen, you have a gorgeous view of the mountains, and the bathroom is immense. I wish I could have opened the windows a crack, but maybe they have to seal them for legal reasons? Also, the desk area is small and kind of cramped. The wireless internet worked great, though!

The pool area is lovely, but the pool is only 4 feet deep everywhere. Not great for swimming laps. I went early in the morning and had it entirely to myself, which was nice.

When I asked to check in about one hour ahead of check-in time, I was told I had to wait and they held my luggage. But the hotel was clearly not at capacity, so I'm still unsure of why I wasn't allowed to check in. Is this a hotel policy/or a way to get me to gamble? I wasn't sure, but it started the stay off with a sour taste in my mouth. Between this and the cigarette smell in the lobby every time I came and went to my car, I don't think I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business