“Loved this place! Clean, modern, great views, great pool.”

Talking Stick Resort
Ranked #41 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Detroit, Michigan
“Loved this place! Clean, modern, great views, great pool.”
Reviewed March 31, 2011

I won't repeat everything of previous reviews. Keep in mind it's true...must go through casino to get to hotel. But I was prepared and smoke wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Staff was professional and we had no problems during our 3 night stay. Scottsdale is not a cheap place to stay and we liked the location and felt value was good. Awesome pool and hot tub. There did seem to be some water issues in this hotel...could not get cold water from sink. Pool had a funny smell at times. But room was very clean and very quiet. Design of halls makes for uniquely quiet rooms. Ask for a room facing main pool and view is spectacular. Hotel is close to spring training fields but really nothing else. Will need a car for sure. Pool, while odd shaped, was great for lap swimming because it was about 75 yards at longest point. Had pool to myself each morning 7-8:30 am, and mid-evenings as well in late March. Parking was no problem in covered East lot--free and safe. Really enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jisha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Mount Olive, Illinois
Reviewed March 30, 2011

From the rude check in girl to the walk of shame through the middle of their casino it is ALL bad! I am literally in my room as I type and because they have a 72 hour cancellation policy I can't even get out of it without losing over 200.00!!! Heck...it might be worth it.
Don't waste your time. This place is a CASINO...not a resort! And they don't know the meaning of customer service.
Thanks for reading!

Room Tip: Nothing you can do.... seriously.
3 Thank jimandkellyk
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 29, 2011

We stayed at the TSR 3/5-3/10 with mixed reviews. The good – nice rooms w/nice amenities, friendly valet & bell staff, descent buffet, happy hour, and sushi, availability and quality of pool chairs. The bad – clueless front desk staff, poor bar service at the pool (1 hour+ for a drink on Sat.!), always having to walk through smokey casino, long ways to parking and NO valet or parking available on Sat. night. The worst – The power went out while I was in the shower on Mon. night before dinner. Staff had no idea what was going on. We went out with wet hair, came back, still no power (except of course in the casino). Staff still had no clue. Slept at TSR anyway. Still no power in the morning. Still staff has no clue, but gave us vouchers for breakfast buffet. No hot water for morning showers. Played golf, came back, still no power. Front desk still didn’t know anything, but gave us dinner & breakfast buffet vouchers, a flashlight to go to our rooms to gather our belongings and sent us to a dumpy hotel with bugs for the night. At least we got a hot shower! When we returned they finally told us that it was a transformer and they were waiting for a part. The power finally returned late Wed. afternoon. It was chaos while we were there, so I chose to write the management when we returned home. No apology. They could have informed the staff, put us up at a nicer hotel, and offered some apology. Very poor handling of the situation. You could definitely see that it is the casino that matters to the TSR, not the hotel guests!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I stayed at Talking Stick one night in March 2011. It's brand new, so everything is shiny and clean. The rooms have a very modern feel, great views, and the bathrooms are so cool and futuristic.

However, the parking situation is still under construction. If you don't want to use the Valet you have to walk through almost the entire casino floor to get to the hotel section of the resort. The casino area smells like cigarettes, and by the time I got to my room I wanted to change my clothes!

Once in the rooms, they are great. The bed is comfy, the TV is a nice flat screen, you have a gorgeous view of the mountains, and the bathroom is immense. I wish I could have opened the windows a crack, but maybe they have to seal them for legal reasons? Also, the desk area is small and kind of cramped. The wireless internet worked great, though!

The pool area is lovely, but the pool is only 4 feet deep everywhere. Not great for swimming laps. I went early in the morning and had it entirely to myself, which was nice.

When I asked to check in about one hour ahead of check-in time, I was told I had to wait and they held my luggage. But the hotel was clearly not at capacity, so I'm still unsure of why I wasn't allowed to check in. Is this a hotel policy/or a way to get me to gamble? I wasn't sure, but it started the stay off with a sour taste in my mouth. Between this and the cigarette smell in the lobby every time I came and went to my car, I don't think I'd stay here again.

1 Thank hotelgirl111
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed March 23, 2011

I was pretty impressed with everything except some terrible service at the Blue Cyote. Our server seemed pissed and it was like she was throwing our food at us when it finally came out 45 minutes later. The Wondering Horse was awesome. The options were vast. The pool was nice. Not too much chlorine. I gambled a little but am not into casino's so not much to say about that. Great shuttle to Salt River Fields on game days. The tipping seemed to get old after a while but I guess that's what you do at a resort. Don't bother upgrading to the club level. I don't think there was anything extra special about the rooms other than it came with comp breakfast and two comp drink tickets everyday. Our mini bar was stocked to the point where there was not much room for anything else. Luckily I brought a cooler. That rain head shower was the bomb. It was like standing under a water fall. Valet, bell, and check in and out service was top notch. Also play the golf course they have there if you get a chance. Excellent customer service and the course was really nice. One of the best I've played in the Phoenix area. I would go back to this place probably. We did have to wait an hour and a half for our room to be ready and we got there at 4. Oh yeah, I have a farly new $1700 bed at home and theirs was more comfortable...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 21, 2011

The Talking Stick Resort was beautiful. The rooms and property were gorgeous. Many on-site eateries from a quick bite to a gourmet meal. They had an amazing breakfast buffet at the Wandering Horse Buffet. The only downside is that the casino was very smokey and you have to walk around the casino to get to the room elevators. Other than that it was perfect and conveniently located by the expressway. Would definetly stay here again.

Lake Stevens, Washington
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Very disappointed upon arrival and walked right into a casino. The hotel check in was off to the right, hidden away with a very small check in area. They definitely cater to to the casino crowd. Not a place/resort to relax if that is what you are looking for. It felt like the hotel was an after thought. It was loud, and filled with smoke as most casinos are. We were not instructed upon checkin on how to get to the elevators...had to go back and ask, which I heard the same from many others. Service was slow, no sunscreen to purchase at the pool and the gift shop had a very limited supply. I would never stay here again! Their excuse was that they have only been open a year and are still working out the kinks...we won't be back. We were looking for a relaxing resort experience and this was not it. Stay elsewhere unless you want to spend your vacation in a casino/bar atmosphere.

1 Thank tucker11_10